Thread: Another what is this?

Another what is this?

The picture below shows a hard rubber pad that sits in a metal frame or enclosure. Any idea what this is? It's mounted on a bench grinder platform in front of a Veritas grinder fixture (pic also shown).

Shop 010.jpg

Shop 011.jpg

Never seen one quite the same but I'll take a guess. May be used to knock off the burr after grinding, similar to leather strop, by drawing the tool backwards on it.

Its a tool stand, you can adjust the angle, then take what aver you are grinding put it on the stand and it keeps it at the right angle. Most grinders already have them attached but you can but stand alone ones as well.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hendricks View Post
    Its a tool stand, you can adjust the angle, then take what aver you are grinding put it on the stand and it keeps it at the right angle. Most grinders already have them attached but you can but stand alone ones as well.
    Yes, the grinder tool rest in the second pic is a Veritas grinding jig but the question is about the item below it. Here is a link to the Veritas jig.
    http://www.veritastools.com/Products/Page.aspx?p=128

Interesting. It almost looks like hook and eye loop are meant to be used in conjunction with it as well. The skew to it is also curious. My guess is that it's for freehand grinding turning tools. The tool would be rest against the rubber pad and pivoted across the grinding wheel. The distance from the wheel sort of makes sense for long turning tools. Perhaps the hook and loop keep the tool held down snug to keep the angle consistent ?

Seen them in dental labs. Place stone model on the rubber portion and can trim with lab knife and avoid contact with bench top and DNA. Not sure if that is original design use, likely could have other support applications.

Another piece to the puzzle - I removed the mystery piece and on the back side there is the name DiXon cast into it. Actually the "i" is not part of the casting, just a space for what I think should be there. I don't know if the casting was defective with the letter omission or some other symbol was supposed to be there. Regardless, it doesn't look like a homemade piece. It should have something to do with grinding and with the specialty tools that Veritas sells since it was all on one platform.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    Seen them in dental labs. Place stone model on the rubber portion and can trim with lab knife and avoid contact with bench top and DNA. Not sure if that is original design use, likely could have other support applications.
    Bingo, I think. I purchased the setup at auction and I believe the original owner was a dentist.

Mystery solved thanks to the insight by member John C. Bush. Here is a link to one just like it, which says it all.
    https://www.pattersondental.com/Supp...lyDetails/4973

Fascinating. I would not have ever guessed that.

My dad was a dentist and did most of his own lab work. I think I have his somewhere in my office, I am a DDS also but prefer woodworking over denture set-ups and waxing and casting crowns!!