Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else sick of ads on Youtube?

Anyone else sick of ads on Youtube?

I'm really sick of the number of ads Youtube is putting in their videos now. For a short video they just put one ad at the beginning and I can handle that. My beef is they started putting ads about every four minutes in longer videos. Any hour long video has 16 or 17 breaks for ads in it. Even broadcast TV doesn't stop for advertising that often!

I used to use Youtube to listen to music. I quit doing so when they started inserting so darn many ads. I have to constantly flip back to my Youtube browser window to skip an ad, or I have to listen to a 15 second ad. some of the ads now for non-profits are four to six minutes now, but at least you can skip them after five seconds. I think the amount of ads they are inserting is backfiring because people like me just quit using Youtube altogether. I was slightly irritated when they first started doing it with ads every 8 to 10 minutes, but every four minutes is over the top.

Gentlemen,

I just removed several posts concerning ad blocking software.

Please do me a favor and refrain from discussing ad blocker software here at The Creek. The majority of our funding comes from advertisers and they expect our support in return. If The Creek loses our advertising sponsors we will have no choice but to implement a fee based subscription service and I already know that the vast majority of our Members are not in favor of that kind of change here.

I expect that Google expects people to support their program as well in exchange for free access to their videos and music. Maybe Google should offer a means of eliminating advertising for subscribers which is what we have available here.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-22-2015 at 6:00 PM.

It's free. If you don't like it, don't use it.
    If people do stop using it as you say, they will either put in less ads or go out of business.

Among many other things, that's not YouTube putting the ads in. The content provider that created the video has chosen to monetize their content. Non-monetized videos will have no ads or one ad at the beginning, which you can usually skip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harkrader View Post
    Among many other things, that's not YouTube putting the ads in. The content provider that created the video has chosen to monetize their content. Non-monetized videos will have no ads or one ad at the beginning, which you can usually skip.
    The ads are definitely inserted by Youtube. They have the same skip box after five seconds and all that. I know Youtube pays people who upload videos if they get enough views so maybe that impacts how many ads are inserted. I recently looked at over 20 videos all around an hour. Only one of them did not have breaks for ads every four to eight minutes. The ad breaks are marked by a yellow mark in the player on the time bar.

Of those 20 videos I looked at, I did not watch more than a minute of any of them because I knew there would be too many ads. If they had a reasonable number of ads like maybe every 10 to 15 minutes I would have watched at least a few of them for the full hour or so.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 02-23-2015 at 1:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Gentlemen,

I just removed several posts concerning ad blocking software.

Please do me a favor and refrain from discussing ad blocker software here at The Creek. The majority of our funding comes from advertisers and they expect our support in return. If The Creek loses our advertising sponsors we will have no choice but to implement a fee based subscription service and I already know that the vast majority of our Members are not in favor of that kind of change here.

I expect that Google expects people to support their program as well in exchange for free access to their videos and music. Maybe Google should offer a means of eliminating advertising for subscribers which is what we have available here.
    There is nothing wrong with a reasonable amount of quality advertising from companies which contribute products to a demographically appropriate audience. If I come to Sawmill Creek and I see a quality ad for a Grizzly table saw I understand their targeting, and appreciate that they are showing me, a woodworker, products which might be suitable for me.

That is a while different situation than pulling up a You Tube video and getting bombarded with ads for headache drugs, Ford vehicles, Cadillac, somebody's phone plan, cruise services...and a host of random things of which I have no interest. It brings to mind that the advertisers are wasting their money, and the viewers are doing everything they can to eliminate the obscene intrusion into their lives. Somebody out there monitors every key stroke I make at my computer, you cant tell me that they cant target me with advertising, if they feel they have to, with things which might be of interest to me.

Blog Entries
    Other than those tiny "suggestion" boxes that pop up in videos, I don't believe I have EVER seen an ad in the middle of a YTvideo. Of course, I use a tightly-set program of the type we're not supposed to discuss. But I have no intention of buying anything through an ad, so there's no market lost on me. When I want something, I search for it direct.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harkrader View Post
    YouTube absolutely puts those ads in, the channel owner chooses to turn ads on or off, but they are provided by YouTube. Generally, I don't care about a reasonable number of ads, but a lot of places get utterly obnoxious. If you watch live shows on UStream, for example, they will cut the stream every 30 minutes and show you ads that you can't skip through, such that you miss actual content. Those ads deserve to be blocked because they are entirely intrusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    It's free. If you don't like it, don't use it.
    If people do stop using it as you say, they will either put in less ads or go out of business.
    I keep coming back to Wade's point here - its free. If I come over to your house near dinnertime, and you invite me to stay for a meal, I need to eat what's being served, don't I? It doesnt matter if the food is tasty, if I might never buy it in a restaurant, or whether I get enough to suit me. I accepted your invitation and sat down at your table. Im not trying to be a wise guy or anything- it just seemed sort of similar.
    Fred

In simple terms, if you're not the customer you are the product. If you're not paying, someone else is.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    In simple terms, if you're not the customer you are the product. If you're not paying, someone else is.
    Yet I never agreed to be a product. Whatever YouTube's business model, nobody asked me. I never agreed to watch ads. There is no signed agreement that I would watch their ads in exchange for free access to watching videos. YouTube, like all other ad-driven sites, is selling advertising based on potential views, not guaranteed views. There's no way to guarantee views, even if they could stop people from using ad blockers, nothing says that the people watching the video don't just get up and leave the room when the ads come on.
    Last edited by Brian Henderson; 02-24-2015 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Yet aren't plenty of people here paying? I mean, $6 a year isn't much, but still, paying is paying.
    Keith seems to be implying that he doesn't get enough money from the contributors to pay the bills. Thus, you see ads if you don't pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Yet I never agreed to be a product. Whatever YouTube's business model, nobody asked me. I never agreed to watch ads. There is no signed agreement that I would watch their ads in exchange for free access to watching videos. YouTube, like all other ad-driven sites, is selling advertising based on potential views, not guaranteed views. There's no way to guarantee views, even if they could stop people from using ad blockers, nothing says that the people watching the video don't just get up and leave the room when the ads come on.
    I dont know who owns YouTube, but Im guessing its a for-profit company. If that's correct, I really dont understand your frustration here. You seem to be saying that you expect them to provide you with free videos, just because you called up their site. Why would a commercial firm do that? In addition, you might (maybe) have given them permission to show you ads simply by calling up the site. Im no lawyer, but I wouldnt be surprised to see such a thing in their "terms and service" wording somewhere on their site.
    Very few people Ive met are willing to work full time for free.

Respectfully,
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I dont know who owns YouTube,
    Youtube owns Youtube. That's what they do.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night