Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Assmebly table input requested

Here’s what I did in my last shop. I used a full sheet (49” x 97”) of 1” MDF and all other parts were soft maple. I built my finished table height at just under my table saw height so it could be used as an extension table too if needed. My tabletop overhung the legs by 3” all around. The legs were connected with stretchers about 7 ½” wide. I installed several cross stretchers also. This table was solid. This table could support any furniture project that I would assemble on top of it. I wish I still had that table today.

Red
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Weber View Post
    I have an extension table on my TS also and I am using it for an assembly table.....and I have to move everything when I need to make a cut.... so it is time to use more floor space. I have the luxury of a bit more room as my shop is 30x40 purpose built. I am in the process of setting everything up now.
    Carl, my solution for the problem of having to off-load all the stuff from my outfeed table to use the saw is that I have several smaller tables on casters. When I need an outfeed table I roll one up to the back of the saw and put on the brakes. When I need a large assembly table I clamp two of three of them together.

Blog Entries
    As others have said, for me an adjustable height is required because I make so many different things. I designed a 2 height platform but then migrated to a torsion beam system. I bought a couple of adjustable height saw horses at the BORG, modified them so that the maximum height is now what the minimum height used to be, added levelers to one set of feet and use the beams similar to those shown int American Woodworker magazine IIRC.

This sort of gives you the idea:

Saw Horse Mod (5).jpgassm-tbl-beam-demo.jpgMedia Cabinet (153).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I built my table specifically to build my kitchen cabinets. One thing I did was to put 1" aluminum angle all the way around except leaving the corners open to sweep sawdust and dirt. I have 3/4" plywood topped with 3/4" MDF. I sandwiched the angle between them leaving 1/4" above the table. I made sure the angle was square. This made it easy to build the face frames square and doors square. I initally built this just go make my cabinets, however it keeps things from falling off and provides a square and straight edge. Maybe not for everyone, but I like it. There are a few times it gets in the way, but to me benefits out weigh the negatives.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Scott, I have attached a rough drawing of what I was thinking of. I am going mock it up and see if the lift works and make a few tweaks. If it works I will build it. The linear actuators are from an old hospital bed and they should be more then powerful enough to lift the table and a couple of hundred pounds on it.

Assembly table ver 2-Model.pdf

Cool

All, I have made a quick drawing on new thoughts of an adjustable assembly table. It is a bit rough so please do not pick the drawing apart too much. You can pick that design apart all you would like.

Assembly table ver 2-Model.pdf

Carl, appreciate the drawing. I haven't considered this idea but I am intrigued. So I looked on craigslist and low and behold, a hospital bed. At first I thought, well I only need the motor and a few parts but then got to thinking, why not make the bed the base of the entire bed the base for my assembly table. Does this sound crazy? Picture attached. I was planning to build my table 48 x 96 since I have the room.

Hospital Bed.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    I built my table specifically to build my kitchen cabinets. One thing I did was to put 1" aluminum angle all the way around except leaving the corners open to sweep sawdust and dirt. I have 3/4" plywood topped with 3/4" MDF. I sandwiched the angle between them leaving 1/4" above the table. I made sure the angle was square. This made it easy to build the face frames square and doors square. I initally built this just go make my cabinets, however it keeps things from falling off and provides a square and straight edge. Maybe not for everyone, but I like it. There are a few times it gets in the way, but to me benefits out weigh the negatives.

Scott, you could use the base. That would eliminate having to build one. I have just the actuators that I have collected in my scavenging. I plan on doing a build on the scissors and make modifications to it as I go. I expect to add a few things to the roller sections (on the base and the table top) to prevent the scissors action from lifting. I have used some lego's mindstorm to mock this up. I am even considering lowering the pivot point to allow for a greater height with less movement of the linear actuator. But will have to make sure there is enough power to lift the table and anything that is on top of it. I will be updating my drawings as I start to refine my thoughts and design.

When I have the space, I will build an assembly table like the one from the New Yankee Workshop. I put my regular workbench on casters like that and it works very well for moving it around when I need to. I will also size it to be able to act as outfeed for the table saw or other tools.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

My last one had the drop down casters from Norm's design and I didn't really like it. The table was pretty lightly constructed, his plywood legs, etc. but it was still kind of heavy to raise and lower. My floor seems to always have little scraps on it and it would sometime interfere with the wheels coming down. It worked but I didn't like it a lot. My next one will be really heavy with drawers for tool storage but it will have 3 inch fully locking casters. I have them on my table saw and like that better. No picking things up and it rolls better over scraps, cords, etc..

Blog Entries
    My out-feed table also serves as my assembly table. My only suggestion would be to have several electrical outlets mounted on the table for sanders and electrical hand-tools.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Thank you guys for all the great suggestions. I am starting to get a vision of my new assembly table and I must say it is not much like what I envisioned when I started. Which is why I ask for opinions in the first place. I figured I was missing a bunch of great ideas. For me space is not much of a problem. So I plan on making a dedicated assembly table (I have an outfeed table and another table on wheels I can use as one). So it sounds like it will be adjustable in height, The only thing I have not decided on is the hold down for the center of the table. Not sure if I want holes for hold downs on the table. I like the idea of a flat surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Weber View Post
    Thank you guys for all the great suggestions. I am starting to get a vision of my new assembly table and I must say it is not much like what I envisioned when I started. Which is why I ask for opinions in the first place. I figured I was missing a bunch of great ideas. For me space is not much of a problem. So I plan on making a dedicated assembly table (I have an outfeed table and another table on wheels I can use as one). So it sounds like it will be adjustable in height, The only thing I have not decided on is the hold down for the center of the table. Not sure if I want holes for hold downs on the table. I like the idea of a flat surface.
    For my regular workbench, I have it perforated with bench dog holes, but I also drilled 4 larger holes in the center. Beneath each of these is a pipe flange. This allows me to use a short pipe nipple (6-12") and a deep throat pipe clamp head as a very secure hold down when I need it.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Kreg has plates you can router into your table if you want a hold down in the middle. I have a couple plates I plan to install when I decide where I want them. You use the t track clamps as the hold down.

It has been now more than a few years ago that I fabricated the New Yankee Workshop out feed table that does double duty as an assembly table. Sized it fit to space needs and it has served me well. The fold up wheel design has been a gawd send when I need to turn the table to fully support a 96" plyw'd rip cut or move it about the shop. As Von Bickley did, I mounted electrical boxes two corners so as to have power.