Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

22 Feb 2015

Greetings Everyone,
    Well, the weather has been crazy here this past week. Snow and Ice one day and 60 degrees F the next day and then we get sleet and snow today. At least I can't say that the weather here hasn't been interesting.

Chuck and I worked on the guitar builds on Saturday and we got the neck blanks glued up and we are now ready for the body glue up. We live about an hour apart so that makes it interesting for us to work together on this but we are doing pretty well I think.

Worked some this past weekend and just didn't feel well in general with all the weather and family stuff going on. My hope is for a better week this coming week.

That's it for me, so what did you do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    While walking the dog, I saw a neighbor disposing of a plate glass slab. I scored it for a new desk for me. Later, I consumated an exchange of tools for cash. I used the money to take LOML to the dinner and a movie.

Sunday, I shot the last coat of lacquer on my guitar before the rain came. LOML and I finally broke down and bought a new printer after repairing the old one three times. I tried to remove rust from a saw plate. Oxalic acid only goes only so far.

I spent a fair amount of time coaching my wife on some lesson materials she was preparing. I later edited her first and second drafts. This takes a fair amount of tact and subtlety to give honest feedback without marital discord.
    Last edited by Shawn Pixley; 02-23-2015 at 9:55 AM.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Was able to get the brasses on the English Brown Oak Bachelor's Chest. Need's some polishing and install the back and it's on to the next project.
    IMG_1024_8.jpgIMG_1032_8.jpgIMG_1034_8.jpgIMG_1031_8.jpg

Stunning Joe!!!

Thanks David!

Wow! That's a stunning piece! Excellent veneer use!

My accomplishment was flying out of DFW this am. AA cancelled about 1,000 flights last night and I'm amazed that I got on anything today!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by joe maday View Post
    Was able to get the brasses on the English Brown Oak Bachelor's Chest. Need's some polishing and install the back and it's on to the next project.
    IMG_1024_8.jpgIMG_1032_8.jpgIMG_1034_8.jpgIMG_1031_8.jpg
    Beautiful piece.

After more than 6 years away, it's good to be back! I managed to get some more work done on the baby cradle I'm building. Shop time was a bit limited because I helped move 1500bf of wood from an auction score!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Made some Pork Chile Verde almost from homemade. Everything was fresh except the chicken stock. Turned out fairly well, would have been better if I had been able to pay more attention when charring the tomatillos.

I also got my new Kreg Bandsaw Fence mounted onto my 14" Delta. Nice piece of kit. That, along with the new 1/2" Timberwolf blade and Cool Blocks means I should be on Easy Street when it comes time to cut the condor tails for my bench.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I built these for my wife and I. Select-grade redwood (expensive!). Stainless steel hardware. Plan to put GF Outdoor Oil on them. She is requesting a foot rest for hers.
    05142.jpg

Thanks Brett!

Thanks Mark! Whats in store for all that wood?

Quote Originally Posted by joe maday View Post
    Whats in store for all that wood?
    Not anything specific just now, other than the bottom slats for the cradle, but Alder at $.50/bf was just too good to pass up. That's just my share, with some cedar and a few boards of walnut not shown.

It was being stored in a loft in the guys shop that was being auctioned. Nobody else seemed to want it, and there were 3 of us that split it. It's a good thing we were paying attention, because they auctioned off the extension ladder next. Had to buy that to make sure we could get to the lumber to get it down!

After the freight company managed to lose the fence for a week, I finally got to assemble my new Grizzly G0771 table saw on Saturday. It was pretty easy to setup, despite a couple of errors in the manual. I managed to get the blade to miter slot adjustment to less that .001. It was very easy to adjust the cabinet mounted trunnions. Sunday, I finished building a cabinet for a radial arm saw that a friend gave me, and I got a couple of coats of wax on the top of the G0771.
    image1 (2).JPG

Saturday I drew my shop layout and dust collection piping to get a better idea of my future cyclone purchase. Sunday was splitting firewood once again so I can keep the house warm.