Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Focus ?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Colson View Post
    I completed my out of focus test run today, here is a comparison of the job done in focus by my competitor and the out of focus burn I did. These were both done in low resolution e.g. density 2 in the universal's 1 to 7 choice.Higher densities would have killed the job on hours. The focus was set 10mm out. The grain really pops out nicely.

Attachment 308244
    Comparing two pieces done on the same material on the same machine would make a better example. This comparison against someone else's work has too many variables to be considered definitive. I'm not debating that out of focus wouldn't make for a darker engraving - just pointing out that the real difference made by changing the focus cannot be demonstrated when it was performed in different locations on different machines using different pieces of material.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Colson View Post
    . . . Like Dan I put the bed further away to keep the optics clean. . . .
    I also put the bed down but for a different reason. I want to know fairly accurately what the out-of-focus amount is. If I want to be .060" o.o.f. I can place a .060" shim on the workpiece and then focus off the shim. This ensures repeatibility.

Using the ruler idea, I wonder how one would be able to accurately read the table height off of the ruler graduations, if I understand it correctly.

Rich, that is a good observation you have made. To get the job I engraved the "same" material and got very similar results. I engraved the back of the competitors sample and the customer took that away so I don't have photos.

Edit: Actually if you look to the very left of the picture you can see my engrave on the same material before I adjusted the artwork for the out of focus engrave.

Richard, you can focus your Z normally,then add 10mm in my case to the Z number. I do this automatically, so the Z axis goes back to the right position, before the cut out happens. I think its called "Auto Z" or something.

Cheers
    Keith
    Last edited by Keith Colson; 03-02-2015 at 2:37 PM.
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

You are using the shims sounds a lot easier then using a ruler off the side