Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Focus ?

Focus ?

I often read to get a darker burn or contrast to take the laser out of focus a little. Does it make any difference which way you move the table. Do you get a better contrast moving closer to lens or further from lens. Or does it matter at all?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

As far as I know, the beam is hourglass shaped so it shouldn't matter. That said, I always move it up - for no reason other than consistency.

LOL you got me You move the lens up further from the table or you move the table up closer to the lens ? LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    As far as I know, the beam is hourglass shaped so it shouldn't matter. That said, I always move it up - for no reason other than consistency.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    you move the table up closer to the lens
    This is what I do

5. I have a ruler,part there of, glued to the frame of the machine between the up and down table so I can bring the table up closer to the lens to my prefered out of focus height. Ruler is vertical.

Blog Entries
    It generally doesn't matter, but I choose to move the table farther away from the lens. Darker lines = more smoke, so more distance between said smoke and my precious optics is always appreciated.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Personally, I never cared for the softer focus. Slowing it down a little gives me
    the deeper color without sacrificing the sharpness.
    Avatar courtesy of the awesome Frank Corker
    30w Mercury and workbench so full of misc. tools that
    I can't find any of them. So I have to buy them again.

Very neat Idea TY
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Schmiede View Post
    I have a ruler,part there of, glued to the frame of the machine between the up and down table so I can bring the table up closer to the lens to my prefered out of focus height. Ruler is vertical.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

That makes good sense too

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    It generally doesn't matter, but I choose to move the table farther away from the lens. Darker lines = more smoke, so more distance between said smoke and my precious optics is always appreciated.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Yes but doesn't that make the engraving deeper my material is 3mm so I don't want to go thru.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
    Personally, I never cared for the softer focus. Slowing it down a little gives me
    the deeper color without sacrificing the sharpness.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Yes but doesn't that make the engraving deeper my material is 3mm so I don't want to go thru.
    Sure .. a bit deeper. So I back off on the power a little
    to compensate.

I'm not sure I'd do this if I did heavy engraving all the time, I'm
    sure the extra time would add up. But as it is, on a full bed
    engraving that might take 30-40 minutes or so, I don't notice it
    taking longer. If I were a busy shop I might pay closer attention.
    Avatar courtesy of the awesome Frank Corker
    30w Mercury and workbench so full of misc. tools that
    I can't find any of them. So I have to buy them again.

When you engrave out of focus the engrave does not go as deep, it just gets a lot darker. I have a 22 hour job I am running which starts tomorrow. It would be 38 hours and unaffordable if I did it in focus but slower. The trick to doing it out of focus is to compensate for it in the artwork. I still get a sharp edge, its like colouring something in with a marker versus a pencil. No pencil lines and much faster. I will try and post a photo when this job is complete, the customer took the sample. Its almost black in colour. I got the job due to my quicker and lower price and he like the burnt look better too. I still billed the customer 3.5 hours @65 for the out of focus artwork and test sample.

Like Dan I put the bed further away to keep the optics clean. You also have more travel in this direction too.
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks to everyone I have a pretty good Idea nowof which way to go and how much and a ruler attached to keep track. I don't engrave a lot but I would like more contrast on what I do do thanks for all the good info.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I completed my out of focus test run today, here is a comparison of the job done in focus by my competitor and the out of focus burn I did. These were both done in low resolution e.g. density 2 in the universal's 1 to 7 choice.Higher densities would have killed the job on hours. The focus was set 10mm out. The grain really pops out nicely.

compare.jpg
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Yes really does stand out.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander