Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does your dog eat Beneful made by Purina?

Any switching of dog food needs to be done slowly. Introducing a small amount then gradually increasing it until you are completely changed over. An abrupt diet change can cause diarrhea and vomitting.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

When using high quality food like we do, we have never experienced any trouble when switching food. We average 15 dogs, and never any issues switching from Earthborn, to Taste of the Wild, to Blue Buffalo, to Fromms, and I can't think of the others right off. We don't stay with the same thing for more than several months at the time.

One of my favorite soapboxes
    there is absolutely NO reason to feed carnivores grains. Our cat doesnt limp anymore w/o grain
    i thought Paleo was gimmicky when i first heard about it but when u read the reputable research from well respected medical journals (sadly-most out out europe) it us a rwal eye opener
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Our vet recommended Nutro Natural Choice Wholesome Essentials for our "senior" dog. She seems to love it and never has had any problems with it. Can't find it in a grocery store though, have to get it from a pet supply store.
    ~Garth

It pays to do a LOT of research on what your pet eats. Without going into a long drawn out diatribe, my pet recently had a problem related to the dry food that she had been eating for several years. When I looked into what was best for her, and what was in the food that pet companies sell, I was astonished.

Basically, all these dry grain foods are not what your pet would normally eat, but are the cheapest for a pet company to produce. In order to get the pet to eat the stuff, it is coated with a "palatant" --sort of a crack like substance which your pet cant resist.

Ever notice when you go into a pet store, or even a grocery store, that there are literally hundreds of "choice" offerings? That is because it is VERY profitable for a company to grind up cheap grains, or other animal parts....feet, skulls, eye balls, anything that can't be used in a hot dog, basically.....put a fancy label on it, say it "meets the minimum daily requirements", and get pet owners to pay a premium price for, basically, garbage.

In short, your pet should be eating protein foods derived from animal meats--muscle-- anything which is characterized as "chicken/beef/lamb/duck/whatever byproducts" is a no-no. Grains should be a minor ingredient, if included at all.

BTW, your vet gets paid to push certain brands. If you ask them, they have little idea what is in the food. But it sounds good..."Hills Veterinary Mix" or whatever..... "only available at your vet.

Just for giggles, search through the internet and find out what really goes on in the pet food industry. Hint: It isn't about keeping your pet healthy; it's about getting them to eat the cheapest/most profitable stuff possible.

I remember about 30 years ago, a friend of mine had a compost pile in his yard. When he cleaned up the yard after his dogs he would put some of it in the compost pile. When it broke down it left behind... piles of sawdust. Needless to say he was livid about it.

Don't remember what brand of dog food he used but he sure let me know which one it was at the time.

BTW Val, I didn't know there was ANYTHING that couldn't be put in a hot dog.

-Tom
    Last edited by Tom Stenzel; 02-25-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Platt View Post
    I am shaken. I have been using Beneful for some years now and always felt I was giving my dogs a quality food, something better than the run of the mill Alpo or regular Purina. To the supermarket tomorrow to get something else. Recommendations?

Ken
    As George said, you’ll want to gradually wean the dog over to the new food.

The web has numerous sites that claim to conduct unbiased evaluations of dog food. Here’s one of several I relied on to choose my dogs’ food: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

As a Costco member, I was happy to learn from several sites that Costco’s dog foods are not only ranked as one of the best values, but also some of the best available at any price.

I feed my dog "Taste of the Wild" wild boar and she loves it. I do give her "beneful" as a treat (small handful) once a day after supper. No more, it's in the garbage now. I'll find another treat food for her. Thanks for posting.

Red
    RED

I've fed all of my dogs Blue Buffalo for years and have never had an issue. My dad is a vet and has always suggested either Science Diet or Blue Buffalo. He doesn't sell dog food out of his practice so he has no incentive to push one brand over the other. He especially likes the Science Diet Senior for older dogs with joint issues/arthritis. I've seen a lot of old dogs get a second lease on life due to quality food and Rimadyl.

An article in the Christian Science Monitor says that propylene glycol is an FDA approved additive found in salad dressings, and mycotoxins are found in 40% of cereals eaten by people. Of course there is no evidence of mycotoxins in Beneful...
    Class action suits are typically entirely for the lawyer's benefit. How many times have you gotten checks for $3.17 when the lawyers got $20M; perhaps because Redbull says it gives you wings when it doesn't?

I think this is possibly blown way out of proportion, just like the no grain in my dog food deal (just my opinion). We have had dogs and cats forever. The last dogs were 2 pure breed Beagles. One male and one female. Their whole life they have been fed Pedigree small breed, with the exception of Christmas and Thanksgiving when my wife would buy them both a can of wet food, the occational saltine cracker and ice cubes (yeah I know, but the dogs LOVE them). Point being is that the male lived to be 14 years old, never had a vacination other than a rabies and what ever the breeder gave them as puppies and lived a good healthly live. Always active and no issues. Old age just caught up with the old boy and between blindness, deafness and jont issues in tlast 8 months of his life, he was great and acted like a puppy. His sister is still with us and it's the same story. Full of energy and no health issues. She is now 11.

If you want to spend the dough on the high end foods, great for yu and great for your animal. But please don't believe that they can't be healthy on standard dry food. They sure aren't going to live much longer on the whole meat diet, carnivore or not.

Again, just my opinion and experience.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Wife and have Havanese show dogs, whom get the best of everything...we feed Fromm's. We feel that it is as good as any. YMMV bill