Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D8 Panel Saw refurbishment.

I love the improved profile of the handle, it adds a lot of class, Nice job! I gotta confess though, I was about to say I liked the original finish more as usually I'm not a fan of dark wood handles. But then I saw it after the shellacking and buffing, Wow!

Tom.

Thanks Tom for the feedback.

regards Stewie;

Blog Entries
    I am enjoying the changes that you made to the handle, very nice work in restoring the saw.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks Brian for your feedback.

Stewie;

5. Beautiful work, Stewie! I really love the new countours and finish on the handle, and how well it shows off the brass. I picked up a D-8 of the same vintage at a shop a few weeks ago, but the lower third of the handle is missing, and the remainder is cracked into two pieces at the medallion. I found a blank of flame maple in the rack that is the right size, and I think I'm going to have to use your great photos to work up a handle template, as I haven't been able to find a template online yet. Thanks for setting a great example.

On a side note - if you or anyone else has advice for cutting the curved-profile slot for the saw plate in the front of the handle, I'm all ears. I'm pretty much at a loss as to how to proceed right now, but I'll be working on the Search function here to see what more I can learn.

Craig

Thanks Craig.

Very nice finish on the handle. I can appreciate the changes to the back of the handle, but having repaired a few early No. 7s with the thin lower loop, I would never thin that part of the handle. You will be very careful of your saw, I am sure, but if it ever gets dropped and a hard object contacts that lower loop, a repair will probably be in order.

I don't think I have ever seen a saw handle with a finish that looks as nice as yours does. I'm too much of a utilitarian to have the ambition to seek that level of fineness.

A nice job all around and a great saw.

Jim

Thanks Jim. Appreciate the feedback.

Stewie;

Beautiful. Can you tell us more about the process of bringing the etch back? I also have a saw with an extremely faint etch.

Stewie, you turned that saw into a real treasure....thank you so much for the inspiration! I've been following saw restoreal posts here and on other forums http://lumberjocks.com/topics/27984 as I slide down this slope I have some really nice old saws with loads of potential that I want to do my best on. Did you use anything else finishing the handle? Just shellac?

Hi Don. Just amber shellac over the stain.

Stewie;

You performed an incredible restoration. Those 20" saws prove very useful in the shop. They're great.