Thread: Table Saw Manual?

Table Saw Manual?

I'm just getting started into woodworking and thought it would be a good idea to get a good manual or book on the proper use of a table saw. The one I just purchased is an older Unisaw Model 36-945, which has a 50" Biesemeyer fence. The only other attachment on it now is a Biesemeyer splitter. Besides learning to use the saw safely I would like to know what accessories might enhance the operation of the saw, hopefully in order of what to get first, second, etc. I don't know what I'll be making exactly but someone suggested using enclosed cabinets instead of open shelves in the shop to keep dust out. That might be a good starting project. If I do a good enough job my wife might allow me to make something for the house.

1) Check out your local public library, which likely has a good selection of books on table saws.

2) Buy ASAP "Care and Repair of Shop Machines" by John White. Absolutely the best single source I've found for common sense tune up and maintenance of your table saw- and all other standard stationary woodworking tools- indispensable- can't recommend highly enough.

Check amazon by searching "table saw book". Plenty of good books to get you started. You are smart to want to learn safe techniques. Most all books will have info on blades, crosscut sleds, tenoning devices and other accessories. First tip : buy a quality blade like a forrest woodworker II. Others are good too but this one works well for me. Second tip : buy 2 sets of grr-ripper push blocks. Once again, there are other options but they work for me. Always use a blade guard...I just got back to using one eventhough I hate them and I have a Sawstop. Third tip: never loose concentration on where your hands are and what you're doing when using a table saw. Fourth tip: if what you are about to do feels uncomfortable or dangerous then it is, so don't do it. You bought a good saw. Join a woodworking club near you and get a member to give a demo of safe practices. Best of luck and welcome to the Creek. BTW...Google table saw safety on the creek and you tube.

Many Delta manuals are free on line, just google the model number. Check you tube videos for lots of woodworking stuff. You can even get most of the old PBS Yankee Workshop videos...a good place to start....take them in order, as they get more complicated as they go.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 02-24-2015 at 3:55 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

While the Forrest WWII is a good blade, it's way over priced. I own two, but my everyday use blade is a Delta 7657 from Cripe Distributing for $18. Yes I said $18, with about ten bucks shipping. For the price of one WWII, you can get a lifetime supply of 7657's. When your blades need sharpening, look at Dynamic Saw in Bufallo. You can't beat their prices or service. Build a cross cut sled, but first build a "panel cutter" based on New Yankee Workshop design. Be sure to build design with fence at the rear. Look at the two programs on jigs. Next, I would consider a Dubby. Yes I know it's a sizable purchase. I own one and constantly want to kick my backside for not buying one earlier. Enco (use enco.com) sells a pieces of aluminum bar stock 3/8 X 3/4 X 24" that fits miter slot perfectly for runners for jigs. I like Rockler's feather boards. I found it cheaper to buy single, and add double height kit, back when I was buying them. As for table top protection, I shave paraffin into odorless mineral spirits. When it has dissolved, put in spray bottle. Clean top and spray with mixture. Dry with old towel. It will leave a coat of paraffin on top to help prevent rust and slick it up.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 02-24-2015 at 9:21 AM.

http://www.deltamachineryparts.com/d...4-651-0051.pdf
    and the Illustrated Parts Lists are also available online ( http://www.deltamachineryparts.com/shop/36-945-1/ )

Nice saw.

Table Saw Magic by Jim Tolpin will give you good info too.

Back in 1980, when I graduated from Sears radial arm to a Delta34-444 contractor’s saw, I bought a copy of “Getting the Most Out of Your tableSaw” by the Rockwell International (crica 1978). Learned a great deal from itand till periodically refer to it. Per Amzon.com:

“This 120 page book is a complete handbook describing thetable saw in the home workshop with more than three hundred photographicillustrations and line drawings. Chapters include: Getting to Know the TableSaw; Before Operating the Table Saw; Basic Operation of the Table Saw; BasicUse of the Dado Head; Special Saw and Dado Operations; Special Jigs and How toUse Them; Popular Wood Joints; Using the Molding Cutterhead; Other Uses for theTable Saw; Sharpening Saw Blades; Inch/Millimeter Conversions, and more.”

Amazon has a used copy for all of US$4.00:

www.amazon.com/Getting-Most-Out-Your-Table/dp/B000QA8R3Q
    This might be a revised/updated edition:
    www.amazon.com/Getting-The-Most-Your-Table/dp/B000JDUG8Y

Another worthwhile publication is J. L Feirer’s“Cabinetmaking and Millwork (Charles BennettCompany, 1977). Nine hundred plus pages of all aspects of cabinet making: machines, hardware, measured drawings, joints, jigs etc.
    www.amazon.ca/Cabinetmaking-Millwork-John-L-Feirer/dp/068413277X