Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Water Heater

Hot Water Heater

My tank is about 15 years old. I'm going to proactively replace it.

Any brand recommendations?
    Any recommendations for automatic shut off valves?

Prashun

I just built a new house and did a bunch of reading on this. You do not specify gas or electric. Here's what I cam up with.

http://www.rheem.com/product/Residen...aters-Marathon

It is just my wife and I here so looking at our water usage I compared the best gas heaters to the best electric heaters in the 40 gallon size. I was not replacing so the total install costs were looked at. Electric won, but if you have kids, etc.etc. it could change. The more you use the more gas looks better.

In my case I went with a Marathon electric. Arguably the best electric home water heater ever. Best insulation, best design, lifetime tank warranty, around $800. A comparable gas was in the $1500 dollar range with a lot more install and maintainance cost, and there never would have been a payback for us. As an added bonus I did not have to have an ugly vent sticking out the side of my house, and no noise from the powervent fan.

I have not seen the instants last very long in our area because of minerals in the water, so I did not consider them. Your results may vary.

Larry

Blog Entries
    I went with the Rheem 6.4 GPM tankless. My water comes out of the ground or the cistern at 80 deg F so I went with the smaller GPM. Up north I would get the larger one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007XD...tUL&ref=plSrch

I love it. There is some lag- about 15 seconds- but then you can take a shower all day long if you like. Once my daughter gets older I am sure this will be more appreciated.
    I saved about $100 a month switching from electric, but remember I live where electricity costs 4 to 5 times the US rates, so you may save $20 a month.

You do need to buy a clean out valve and run vinegar through it every 3 or 4 months to keep it clean of deposits. I actually like this because it makes me wonder what is lying in the bottom of the tank in a tank heater! I like that I can clean my heater.

You have to look at local energy costs..in my area natural gas is hugely cheaper. You also need to balance the cost of very high efficiency versus lower efficiency both in running costs and install costs.

Certainly, a new water heater will be significantly more efficient.

I install my own gas water heaters.

Make certain to have very good shut off valves when it installed.

I am natural gas.

Yes, so that's my next question: is there a reason I should NOT do it myself? I've plumbed a complete bathroom before.

Not to steal a thread, but I will be replacing an induced draft 50 gallon this year. Since the gas and exhaust are already there, and I would have to put the electric in, would it make any sense to think about electric? (another consideration is having hot water during a power outage, electric would be a bit demanding for a generator...)

But since induced draft are so expensive anyhow, I was thinking of tankless. Would the existing exhaust work for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I am natural gas.

Yes, so that's my next question: is there a reason I should NOT do it myself? I've plumbed a complete bathroom before.
    I put my own NG in about 10 years ago in my previous house. If you can handle the plumbing involved it is simple enough.

Mine leaked gas, but it turned out to be a manufacturing defect rather than anything I did. GE had to send someone out to fix it.

Any thoughts on automatic shutoff valves?

Any thoughts on automatic shutoff valves?
    Are these for the incoming water? If so I have never heard of them. I will have to google.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Can't help with the auto shutoff valve, but if you have hot water heat I'd look into the indirect fired water heaters. I have one and love it.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

It's a valve that goes on the incoming line. There's a sensor that rests in a pan under the heater. When it senses moisture, it closes the supply, so you only get a paltry 50 gallons flooding your basement.

Go with a tankless. You'll love it. I have a Rheem. I'd never go back to a tank.

Also, I noticed a drop in my gas bill each month. I suppose since the tank has to keep the water hot all the time, it uses more gas than if you only heat the water when you need it. But I didn't go tankless for the cost saving. I did it because by the time I took my shower, and my wife started a load of clothes, when she went to take a shower, there was no hot water. So happy wife, happy life!

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-24-2015 at 10:32 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I went with a heat pump electric water heater. Since I tossed solar panels on my roof, I've been switching things here and there back to electricity over natural gas. I have the AO Smith 60 gallon one. It is interesting having the heat pump. It is basically an air conditioner in reverse...sucks in ambient air to extract heat and blows out cool air. That is nice in the summer and not so nice in the winter depending upon where you exhaust it. So far so good with it but it and the heat pump is very efficient.

There are pros and cons to all hot water heating systems. Tank vs. tankless is an ongoing battle and you just have to understand the nuances of how they work and see if they'll fit your lifestyle.

While you're at it, you might look into hot water return systems. These are pumps that basically recirculate the cooled water in your hot water lines back into the tank to be reheated. In this way, you don't waste water waiting for the hot water to reach your faucet or shower.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-24-2015 at 3:09 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Awesome info guys. Thanks. You've given me a great deal to think about.

It's a valve that goes on the incoming line. There's a sensor that rests in a pan under the heater. When it senses moisture, it closes the supply, so you only get a paltry 50 gallons flooding your basement.
    I saw one where you put a sensor under the water heater, washing machine, etc. If any of them get wet they shut water off.
    Having had floods from a toilet, dishwasher, and cloths washer I was really tempted, but I would have to rip a wall out to get access to the incoming pipe. Lousy design, there is just a tiny door that is way to small to work through.