Thread: Considering the Steel City 6x48 belt & 12 disc sander

Considering the Steel City 6x48 belt & 12 disc sander

I'm considering the Steel City combo sander - $800 delivered during the Wood Werks 25% Steel City sale. It looks to have the same specs (motor, weight, sanding surfaces) as the well rated Jet JSG-6CS. But the SC's dust collection for the belt sander is on the same face as the table (when in the vertical orientation) and doesn't seem to have anything to help control air flow. It does have a graphite covered platten - no idea if that's useful or a gimmick. The SC's "Easy to use belt tension control lever for fast belt changes" isn't immediately obvious in the photos, unlike the prominent lever on the Jet.

Any thoughts? I don't imagine anyone here has the SC, and probably very few have even seen one in the flesh. So...general comments based on the online pictures, overall usefulness of this configuration, whatever...would be appreciated.

I haven't seen the SC sander, but I own the Jet. Don't let the Jet's dust collection capability be a driver - it's okay, but nothing to write home about. I wonder if the SC's belt tracking has to be adjusted with every use, as is the case with the Jet (at least with the one I own)? Don't get me wrong - I really like the Jet sander; just there's room for improvement as is the case with most things.

I have no opinion on either model, just wanted to suggest you make sure that you really need the combo sander. I have a smaller Grizzly model and it takes up space and I rately use it. Heck I haven't had the belt on for a year or so and only use the disc occasionally. If I had to do it again, I'd get a separate disc sander, then possibly an edge sander.
    Of course, your work may require you use it all the time.
    Good luck with your decision.

I have a 6x48 belt 9" disk combo unit. For my hobby work it is ok. If I had it to do over with $800, I think I would buy a 12" disk sander from Harbor Freight, and shop for an edge sander, like what Grizzly sells.

John

I have owned and used both the 6 by 48 belt/disk sander combination and a couple of edge sanders in my shop over the years. My first edge sander, although it was a very low quality machine, was an real eye opener. I found out real quick that an edge sander was superior to the belt/disk machine in every way. Obviously an edge sander and a belt sander are close cousins and both deliver the same performance the difference is mainly the size of the sanding surface available in most cases. The disk sander rarely offers any real value for woodworking IMO because of the variation in speeds from the center of the disk to the outside edge. Even a twelve inch diameter disk offers very little sanding surface compared to the constant speed of the 6 by 48 belt. Disk sanding is limited to exterior curves and has little value when the need is to sand a straight edge of any appreciable length. An edge sander works well on both exterior curves and straight edges, often much longer than the belt length.

My current edge sander is a Baileigh machine. I enjoy using this machine and it has exceeded my expectations in every way. The upgrade from my first edge sander which did a good job, to the newer more powerful machine, has proven to be an excellent upgrade and its doubtful I will ever require a better machine.

Thanks everyone for the honest recommendations! For years I've used a small HF version so primitive it has no dust collection. Then I bought a 16/32 drum sander ($300 on CL) that I absolutely love, and recently the Ridgid spindle sander. Then a Mirka, and I'm loving Abranet sanding and dust collection. So, I don't really know what I need, but was looking for something to do higher capacity sanding on larger pieces. I've also been interested in possibly sanding metal, like knives, and everyone seems to only use belt sanders for that.

I'll look into an edge sander - thanks again for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pleas View Post
    I'll look into an edge sander - thanks again for the advice!
    Just reached a deal on a used Grizzley G0512 about 45 min away for $600. I'll drag it home tomorrow!

I have an old heavy duty Rockwell belt/disc sander. It has some uses in wood working and is nice to have when I need it. I use it a LOT for metal working. It is great for prepping pieces before welds, smoothing welds, sharpening lawn mower blades, etc.

If I wanted a sander for just woodworking I would go for an edge sander.

Years ago I bought a DeWalt 12X48. I worked great and was a heavy sturdy machine. The problem I had was I really never used it. It sat in my shop for 10 years with out even being turned on. I gave it away.

Big disc sanders....say 18" and up come into their own in a welding/fabrication environment.Once they get up to speed,with appropriate paper/grit.....you can jam a pce of steel angle into it and it'll peel off metal about as fast as a cutting torch.

They have some merit in the wood shop from a "sizing" standpoint.Any belt grinding(sander)sees the belt having to "fly" over the platen.....not the case with a big disc.So,with the right fixturing and the right part,one could make a case for accuracy.

The big discs are plenty dangerous,probably in the top 3....they just don't quit,and suffer no fools.

Verts(vertical sanders)have limits in a woodshop,but can be a blessing for certain parts.And do work well in the "down" position.They also come into their own grinding metal.Say something as benign as sharpening a drill.....way easier than on a bench grinder.Lots of chores can be quickly done on these.Edge sanders rock....I've bought them,have built them from scratch,have repaired them,have modified them.They are one of the unsung heros in a wood shop.They flat out don't do metal however....well at least ours don't.The thing I see more often than not,and is quite confusing?....is;why factories have the dust chute/ports that extend past the plane of the grinding(sanding) surface.It's like having a step ladder with a cpl rungs missing?You effectively are limited in length.....just don't get it?Other than,I've never seen a dust port on one that wouldn't even make a decent door stop.....they ALL are that bad.This is exactly where we started "rollin our own" a dz years ago or so.We Tig up some nice,gauge metal dust ports.....that actually work,go figure?

I own separate 6 x 48 belt sander (Vintage Rockwell) and the Powermatic 12" disc sander. Use both as needed on a regular basis, especially if you do non-woodworking events. I go to Columbus at least monthly and have seen this unit at Wood Werks. The location of the large dust collection hose when using the belt sander in the upright position is ill-thought. You realize that Jet is having a sell on their equipment offering 15% off with free shipping soon, right? If money is tight, I would consider the Jet open air model before the Steel City model you are considering. It's a bit more, but a better designed machine. The Steel City is NOT a rebadged Jet, but you likely know that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pleas View Post
    Just reached a deal on a used Grizzley G0512 about 45 min away for $600. I'll drag it home tomorrow!
    Congrats Keith. I'm late to the party but will add some comments on sanders for others who may find this thread. A belt/disk combo, vertical belt, disk and horizontal belt (edge) sander all serve different functions. I have a spindle/disk combo that I really like for those functions. If I had the room I would rather have a 6" vertical belt than a disc for that type of sanding. The edge sander is great but, I feel that oscillation is a must for this function BUT, that is based on what I use it for. Nice savings on a nice sander. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I drove down to pickup the Grizzly G0512 today. It was in a small cabinet shop owned and operated by some really nice Ukranians. They had a bunch of Grizzly machines and had upgraded their edge sander to do entrance doors. They also had some interesting cabinet- specific stuff like a milling-type machine that drilled 20 or so holes in the sides of cabinets for shelf pins. And an absolutely huge DC system. And a ginormous Alendorf sliding table setup.

But the edge sander was slightly too large for my GX470 without disassembling it (oh, and it's on a rolling platform they built) but they were delivering some cabinets near my house so they dropped it off. With two boxes of spare sanding rolls. I'm a pretty happy camper tonight!

Keith, congratulations. That's a fine looking unit and Grizzly is close if you should ever need advise or anything else.