Thread: Planer/Moulder question

Planer/Moulder question

About to up my ante and ditch the loud benchtop planer and move into something that will allow me to maintain the same level of planning as well as do some basic short run moulding for my home renovation that will basically pay for this. Looking at the Grizzly G0137Z and the Jet JPM-13CS. Both appear to be pretty solid pieces of equipment that should fit my needs while keeping right around the $1000 budget. Looking for any input anyone might have especially if you have done a side by side or seen both in action.

Breakdown is as follows:
    Grizzly
    $975 delivered
    open stand
    same knife width and appears to be same cutterhead abilities
    Comes with some guide rails
    No infeed or outfeed support
    1 year warranty
    24/12 FPM with 5000RPM cutterhead

Jet
    $1120 delivered
    Closed stand
    comes with casters, infeed and outfeed rollers
    Notable 5 year warranty
    20/10 FPM with 4500RPM

I'm partially leaning towards Jet at this moment, if they weren't 156 apart it would be a no brainer. I don't need casters, but maybe one day they would come in handing. I think the strongest pull towards Jet is the infeed/outfeed support rollers which must certainly help with reducing snipe potential. Thoughts? There also seems to be an upcoming sale for Jet tools starting Feb 27, really hoping that sale applies to the price, but pretty sure it won't.
    Last edited by Mike Tagge; 02-24-2015 at 10:40 PM.

Mike,

I have williams and hussey. It is a little more but a way more vasatile machine than jet or grizzly. I bought a variable speed attachment and an arc jig.. I have had it more than 10 years and never had a problem with it. Once I advertised I had it I had more work than I knew what to do with. That is the best way to pay off your investment. I get all my knives from CG schmidt. They make them custom and have many stock ones. I hope that helps.

Quinn

I have the older model of that Grizzly with the motor on top. I bought it off CL with little use. It works just fine for a molder, and a lot better than I thought for a planer. It's now our portable planer. Everyone that I found who grinds knives has that machine on their fit list.

Keep an eye out on Craigslist for a used Foley-Belsaw or Woodmaster planer/molder. I bought a F-B for $250 about 5 years ago, with a 5 HP motor. They thing is a beast and planes and molds effortlessly. Super easy to maintain, too. I haven't checked to see if Grizzly molding knives will fit it yet, but I've had a few custom ones made for it with no issues.

John

hi:

I have a Craftex CX-13 (same as the Grizzly 0137z). It works well and as close to "quietly" as one can hope for in a small machine.

Two notes:

1 - it is a two speed machine, but changing speeds is a pain so it's a de facto one speed (I run it at 12FPM, because the rollers don't grip well on jatoba or hickory anyway).

2 - it works well for cutting moldings, but conversion is not something you want to do often.

Look for a used Woodmaster, I am happy with my 718.

Thank you to everyone who has posted.

I've been looking for used for quite some time and unfortunately have run out of time with a limited budget no something like a new woodmaster just is not going to work. The closest woodmaster I have found is two states away, unfortunately.

My question is more along the lines of, from the specs originally presented, is there any reason to really prefer one over the other? Wondering especially with the faster, albeit slightly, grizzly cutterhead which might be counterbalanced by the faster feed rates for a good cut quality. I don't think finding knives will be a problem, both machines seem to be well supported. Am I overthinking this?

Jet went on sale, it became the price leader and I found free shipping. I went with that one versus Grizzly. Will post after I try it out. Thanks again for everyone's help.