Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leak under Kitchen sink

I do it all, so everything at our house is unfinished, but we've only been here for 35 years.

Dealt with the flange leaking. Apparently I didn't get it done right a while back. So, since I had to replace the garbage disposal this past week, I pulled both flanges and replaced the putty. No leaks around them.... But dang the leak at one of the drain pipe joints! Hoping I got it this last time. A bucket is very close to taking up residency under the very, very slow leak!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I do it all, so everything at our house is unfinished, but we've only been here for 35 years.
    Amen Brother!

Only 27 years here. I let it slip that I was going to finish the kitchen this summer and sometime later heard, "I'm on his schedule!".

We're good, she understands. But it probably IS time.

Get the kids out on their own first, kitchen second.

My developing problem is, the kids have been on their own for over 10 years ... How'd that happen?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    It's been cold.

Drain pipes exposed to the outside temperatures
    will move slightly, as they contract.

Just as baseboards 'groan' when the heat comes on,
    but in reverse. Good advise on a fresh bead of putty.
    That solves my confusion, Jim - Thanks. Could not make the hook from a leaking drain to the cold temps - but assumed there had to be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Of course, there are those who would simply opt to empty the pan now and then ...

Raise your hand if you "know" anyone like that ...
    Yeah - sounds exactly like my wife's almost-future-former husband, the first time I tried it.............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Yeah - sounds exactly like my wife's almost-future-former husband, the first time I tried it.............
    Persistence, man, persistence.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Every plumber I know has a bucket under a sink.
    A school custodian "permantly" solved a slow leak with a bucket and a towel suspended into it. Capillary action pulled the water up where it evaporated.
    A maintenance worker noticed it while working on an unrelated issue and asked her when the leak started.
    "Oh, about ten years ago..."
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

It's very easy to tighten the flange up too tight, squeezing all the plumbers putty out of that joint, causing such a leak.