Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wet Grinder for Establishing Primary Bevel?

I would have to go look it up but I think David W. said it took him about a minute or less but that was not grinding out a nick.
    I think with the very coarse pink wheels though that it would take less than another minute (less than two total ) to grind a big nick out.
    David . . . where are you ? Was it something I said ?
    He is over on Wood Central if you want to go ask him.
    As I have said too many times my reservations with soft dry wheels is breathing the grit. I have lived/worked all day in respirators enough. I don't want to do it for my hand tool woodworking.
    Still . . . if I were trying to make money from woodworking I would set up a rear draft shroud with a vac on it. Tricky/could be a fire hazard.

Hello Mr. Wilson,
    You and your wife have the cool guy jewelry shop/factory.
    Will you show us your stone grinding station(s) ? As in lapidary. How do you handle the containment of health damaging dust ?
    Come to think of it those are wet. Or both. It has been too long since I worked at one and I can't remember how it all was. I seem to recall both though : wet and the shroud with a vac.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    All good and well Wilbur, but I think you make a little mistake in the very last sentence. Because of the tapered shape of a chisel edge, you need to remove a lot more steel for a 1/8" nick then a 1/16". I don't think that is linear. When I calculate correctly you need to remove 4 times as much steel when the nick is twice as deep.
    Euh, that was nonsence. I thought about it in bed last night but was too lazy to get up and correct my error. So I am happy no one catched it in the mean time
    A nick twice as deep means removing twice as much steel. More or less.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Wilur,

Do you use your Tormek on Japanese chisels?

ken
    I will if I need to do some major work on a chisel, like changing the bevel angle or getting rid of a nick. After that, I’ll try to get rid of the hollow grind on the bevel as fast as possible using waterstones.

In general, you don’t want a hollow on the bevel side of a Japanese chisel, as the hollow removes some of the soft layer of steel that gives support to the hard layer of steel that makes up the cutting edge. Because the Tormek has a large radius wheel, the amount of hollow is less than if I were using, say, a 6” grinder. But I’ll still try to get rid of the hollow ASAP.

I should mention that the main reason I have a Tormek is for sharpening turning tools. I don’t have a dry wheel grinder because my shop is fairly small and in the basement of my house, and I’m paranoid about sparks setting off a fire and inhaling grinder wheel dust.
    Last edited by Wilbur Pan; 02-26-2015 at 7:16 AM.
    giant Cypress — Japanese tool blog, and more

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Pan View Post
    I will if I need to do some major work on a chisel, like changing the bevel angle or getting rid of a nick. After that, I’ll try to get rid of the hollow grind on the bevel as fast as possible using waterstones.

In general, you don’t want a hollow on the bevel side of a Japanese chisel, as the hollow removes some of the soft layer of steel that gives support to the hard layer of steel that makes up the cutting edge. Because the Tormek has a large radius wheel, the amount of hollow is less than if I were using, say, a 6” grinder. But I’ll still try to get rid of the hollow ASAP.

I should mention that the main reason I have a Tormek is for sharpening turning tools. I don’t have a dry wheel grinder because my shop is fairly small and in the basement of my house, and I’m paranoid about sparks setting off a fire and inhaling grinder wheel dust.
    Wilbur,

I've always worked to keep the bevel flat on my Japanese chisels for those reasons. I know some others will use a hollow grind on their chisels and I just wondered what your thoughts were as you had a Tormek.

Thanks for the answer,

ken

I use a 1" wide vertical knife grinding rig from Lee Valley for this purpose.

The Tormek design is nice, but it's not terribly portable.