Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 year old... future woodworker

Question 6 year old... future woodworker

I gave my grandson a tool kit for his birthday. Screw drivers he understands (righty tight-y, lefty loose-y). And he has assembled a bulldozer and tow truck kit using screws. But we're having issues with the hammer. His catapult kit called for nailing. That ended up being an all morning project. He apparently doesn't have the wrist strength to give the nail a good whack. I tried a small craft hammer also. If someone could suggest a solution I'd appreciate it. Old Memaw is the only one that'll at least try teaching him how to use tools. Mom and dad don't have ANY interest.

Also, any kits or simple projects people can suggest...? Simplest thing so far was a toilet paper holder. You'd of thought he built the Taj Mahal after sanding the wood and putting in one screw!

AlexTPHolder.jpg

Pneumatic palm nailer with a 5hp 100gal compressor. Might as well get him started out right with the importance of having the right tool for the job. Probably a little too small to get his hands around the handle and trigger of a framing gun.....
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Predrill your holes and use softwoods. As a 6 year old, it was the only way I could nail in anything without it bending. I also had pretty good luck nailing in screws after my wrist strength failed me

Good use of your time and effort ,Bonnie. You could also put something together with bolts,shows threads used in a different way than screws. Big believer in introducing concepts to kids more than specific projects. Show him how nails can make wood split ,then show him how to drill holes to prevent that. Use eggbeater hand drill. I'm withholding judgement
    on toilet paper holder since I don't know if it unrolls in the proper direction, but the workmanship is great.

I don't have any other solution to offer but want to say a big thank you for taking the time to show this youngster the enjoyment of building something with your hands. This could be the beginning of a lifetime of woodworking or at least for him being able to attempt a home repair in the future.

Red
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    Pneumatic palm nailer with a 5hp 100gal compressor. Might as well get him started out right with the importance of having the right tool for the job. Probably a little too small to get his hands around the handle and trigger of a framing gun.....
    LOL I think I'll pass on power tools for him at this time. It'll give him something to look forward to

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tagge View Post
    Predrill your holes and use softwoods. As a 6 year old, it was the only way I could nail in anything without it bending. I also had pretty good luck nailing in screws after my wrist strength failed me
    I did have the holes pre-drilled. Still seemed to be a problem. Maybe just give him a board with nails to practice on will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Good use of your time and effort ,Bonnie. You could also put something together with bolts,shows threads used in a different way than screws. Big believer in introducing concepts to kids more than specific projects. Show him how nails can make wood split ,then show him how to drill holes to prevent that. Use eggbeater hand drill. I'm withholding judgement
    on toilet paper holder since I don't know if it unrolls in the proper direction, but the workmanship is great.
    I don't have an egg beater drill, but found one at a site that has child sized tools. Great idea! Let him drill his own holes. And they offered a suggestion of putting tape on the hammer handle so they position their hand right. As they get more proficient, move the tape further from the head.

The toilet paper holder is just to hold spare rolls lol

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post
    I don't have any other solution to offer but want to say a big thank you for taking the time to show this youngster the enjoyment of building something with your hands. This could be the beginning of a lifetime of woodworking or at least for him being able to attempt a home repair in the future.

Red
    I'm hoping he has a good time learning. I wish I had had the opportunity at his age. I would be able to do more than I can being self taught.

A friend told him he could now fix everything from a broken heart to the crack of dawn lol So now when he drags out his tools to show off he tells everyone he 'can fix broken hearts even!'

My 5 year old nephew really enjoyed going to HD and putting together a wooden racecar project. HD has a kids project clinic kind of thing every once in a while. His dad is not handy by any means, but my nephew likes tools a lot so the HD class is a good thing for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    My 5 year old nephew really enjoyed going to HD and putting together a wooden racecar project. HD has a kids project clinic kind of thing every once in a while. His dad is not handy by any means, but my nephew likes tools a lot so the HD class is a good thing for him.
    Lowes does the same thing. I have no experience with the classes, I just see the signs outside all the time.

Blog Entries
    The most important thing I learned about driving a nail didn't come my way until I was already in my late 40s or early 50s.

It is to keep your elbow in the same plane as the nail as much as possible. Do not try to drive the nail with your wrist.

Also a heavier hammer is often easier to use than a light weight hammer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Maybe it was Lowes, I just always think HD bc that's where I almost always go bc it's the closest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Campbell View Post
    I did have the holes pre-drilled. Still seemed to be a problem. Maybe just give him a board with nails to practice on will help.

I'm hoping he has a good time learning. I wish I had had the opportunity at his age. I would be able to do more than I can being self taught.
    Giving him a board to practice on is good. He may be feeling pressure to "get it right" because you are making a specific project that he wants to get perfect. You can turn it into a game for him to make a smiley face out of nails or paint lines or graphics for him to trace with a line of nails. Before he realizes it, he'll be hammering like a pro.

Why don't you ask him if he's having fun spending time out in the shop with you? He might surprise you and ask if he can build something you haven't thought of yet. Some of my best childhood memories are of spending time with my grandfather out in his shop. Not only did we build things, but we took things apart and put them back together too!
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

LOL! This C&H strip came to mind as I read this thread.

calvin-and-hobbes-coffee-table.jpg
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

HD does have classes too. But that happens to be 'daddy's weekend'. Daddy is more interested in video games....

I did ask more than a few times what he'd like to build. I don't think I'll tackle 'a house' yet. He's talking a people house, not bird or dog. Without my thinking about it I was trying to keep his elbow level with the nail.

LOL Oh my gosh Chris! That's exactly my thought when I bought the tool set. I could see nails hammered into everything and screws taken out also.....

Got the hand drill ordered and a child sized saw. I'll set him loose on the back patio once they get here. I did find a book that's supposed to help explain tool usage to a child also. It'll probably help me too. The guy at HD looked at me oddly when I asked if the lifetime guarantee on a pipe wrench included using it as a hammer lol

BEWARE of children with tools !!!

In the late 1970's a friend of mine left a 1/2" / 9/16" open end wrench on his back porch. The next day when he got home from work his two sons had totally disassembled his brand new garden tractor/mower

C & H!! The greatest!

I have found that with my grandson, (a bit older) that getting him to draw a picture of what he wants to build works too. I have a big roll of newsprint in the shop and just put a piece on the bench and away you go. Draw, doodle, explain with pictures etc.

Sometimes with the shorter attention spans, multiple "to do's" help out.

And with mine, being able to touch (brad nailer) and pull the trigger was a high point for him. (Smothering oversight and attention at all times!!)
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...