Thread: Makita Hypoid vs Masterforce and other questions

Makita Hypoid vs Masterforce and other questions

I have a project coming up this spring that involves ripping a lot ot 3/4" plywood. I have been doing research on which hypoid saw to get and had settled on the makita 5377 hypoid. The Makita is the lightest saw with the best reviews. I need it to be light weight so that my wife can use it comfortably as well.
    I was at Menards the other day and saw that Masterforce has a hypoid saw that looked to be very similar to the Makita. Looking closely at the specs it seems very similar, but also has an electric brake as well. I've tried to find out how much it weighs, but there is no source that lists the weight of the Masterforce hypoid saw. I guess that I could bring in a weight scale to Menards
    I later found out that Makita supposedly makes the masterforce saw, so I am interested in the Masterforce saw from a possible value standpoint. The saw is being discontinued and on clearance at Menards, very few left in stock, so I need to figure out quickly whether I should buy the Masterforce saw at $107 with a 3 year warranty.
    What are the thoughts on the value of an electric brake on a hypoid saw?
    Does anyone know the actual weight of the Masterforce saw?
    http://www.menards.com/main/p-2257983-c-9082.htm
    Any thoughts on the Masterforce saw in comparison to the Makita?
    This is my first post on the forum, looks like a good forum that has a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for any guidance!

For a light weight saw to break down a lot of 3/4" plywood that your wife woud likely be comfortable with I would look at a Porter Cable 314 saw.
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 02-25-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Worm drive saws are all heavy, even the light ones. They turn at less rpm than a regular skil saw and so the cut suffers a bit. Great for 2x4s and OSB, not so good for finish types of cuts. When they do bite, the extra torue due to the low RPM can have dramatic effects. They are unwieldy until you learn to use the weight to your advantage. I do not recommend this or comparable saws for your wife to learn with.

I will second the PC314. Very manageable saw capable of good cuts in plywood. Your wife will have no problem.

What exactly are you building?

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I'm building large home theater subwoofers. 4 refrigerator size subwoofers to be more specific that will end up being installed out of sight in the attic space.
    I'll take your recommendations under advisement. I may just let my wife use the old light circular saw I have collecting dust (never liked its performance, always thought it lacked muscle) so that I can use a hypoid for the heavy duty stuff.
    Anyone have any comments on the makita vs the masterforce?

worm drive saw is over kill for plywood and they are heavy / harder to control. if you have an under powered circular saw you should consider buying a new one you will be surprised what a difference it can make. track saws are made for breaking down ply wood.

I do realize the hypoid saw is overkill, I plan on using it to build a deck in the near future. Was just mentioning the first project I need the saw for.
    A track saw is out of the price range right now.
    Was going to build a wooden track for the hypoid saw when I rip all the plywood.

I'll also say a Hypoid is overkill, even for a deck.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have a DeWalt worm drive saw. It is the model that has the motor in a more vertical position and makes the saw shorter, less front heavy. It is still heavy to use and is really a 2 handed saw. The only time I get it out is when I feel I need the extra power.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schuch View Post
    For a light weight saw to break down a lot of 3/4" plywood that your wife woud likely be comfortable with I would look at a Porter Cable 314 saw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I will second the PC314. Very manageable saw capable of good cuts in plywood. Your wife will have no problem.

^^^ This ^^^

The PC 314, of course, is out of production, but they seem to be generally available in the 2dary market.

That saw is lightweight, and compact. Easy to maneuver. And very, very rugged. I'm not sure what abuse would have had to be done to one of those that would make a purchase of a used one a bad deal.

After decades with a "normal" circ saw, I got one, tried it out, and was amazed.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I know you weren't considering track saws, but not all track saws are made in Germany and come with a Festool price.

Grizzly is currently having a sale on their track saw(saw only).

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Track-Saw/T10687

Reg. $199.95
    SALE! $179.95

If you want a rail then the package is $245.00 as it also comes with an accessory package.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/t25552

Here's a review of the track saw:
    http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/vide...ck-saw-review/

Just something to consider that isn't too expensive, considering it cost's less than most handplanes.
    Last edited by Michael Moscicki; 02-25-2015 at 6:41 PM.

I can tell you that even though it is only a 3 yr. warranty if something happens to the MasterForce saw if you save your receipt they will exchange it on the spot. No dealing with the repair center, no shipping or anything else. I worked at Menard's and sold a lot of Masterforce tools based on that alone.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

The few purchases of hypoid saws that make sense are replacement saws for a professional that uses it almost every day and has done so for a decade or two. They are accustomed to their quirks and use them to great effect. Most of those people warn younger construction professionals to use more current saw types. Mostly they were a solution to a problem that existed long ago. Most hypoid saw techniques benefit from the weight at least until the users use them for a few decades.

Hard to imagine a worse way to build items from plywood. Are you both left handed? Is there some reason that a blade-left saw is being considered?

Please consider a Makita 5007MG instead for general use including your deck and the deck of all your neighbors and then loan it out to everyone else you know that wants to build a deck. Less money, easier to use, and lighter.

I love my PC314 but consider it a bit light for 3/4" plywood unless it is all finish work. Fabulous trim saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    I love my PC314 but consider it a bit light for 3/4" plywood unless it is all finish work. Fabulous trim saw.

His wife will be using it for subwoofer construction. Seems like a dead-on match to me, eh Greg? She won't be driving it like a Cat D20 thru a pile of backfill................
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have a Skill Mag drive saw and it does do a nice job when the extra torque is required. It can easily go through an inch and a half of old chewed up flooring and not stall. It is truely a beast. Once you get used to using the saw it does a nice job. The hadle is quite far behind the blade instead of being on top of the blade. If you are used to direct drive saws this is weird at first. After you get used to the handle position you learn to steer the saw from behind by pushing the handle left or right to steer the blade in the oposite direction instead of twisting your wrist like you would with a direct drive to steer the saw.

For cutting 3/4 plywood I will still turn to my PC 314. For anything I have to cut overhead the PC 314 is sstill the saw to goto. For ripping through who knows what to make a hole in existing construction where a sawzall isn't practical the Mag Drive Skill saw will always get the job done.

If you must use a worm drive construction saw to cut 3/4 plywood I am sure it will do the job. Blade selection will be key for getting a decent cut. Luckily there are a lot of available blades in the 7 1/4" format. The left mount blade is actually kind of nice for a right hand user, it makes it easier to see your lines.

My father had a Makita worm drive saw and it was not nearly as nice as my skill saw. His old Makita would really jump (twist to the left) when starting the blade. Even though my Skill worm drive is a simular design it does not jump nearly as bad.

My brother in law worked his way through college doing construction. I remember him saying all the new guys would start out with a Makita saw because they were considerrably cheaper and would switch to Skills in pretty short order. This was 20+ yers ago or more, I do not know how this relates to current saws.