Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kapex 10% off Deal

Kapex 10% off Deal

Has this discount swayed anyone into plunking down large for a powered miter box?

I thought long and hard but just couldn't do it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris P: few months ago, I thought long and hard 'bout a Kapex and went back 2-3 times to handle it. In the end, I passed. Some of the Kapex adjustments are easier to do than on my old Hitachi (CFS10") and the Kapex dust collection is superior. Kapex lasers were a toss-up as I line the cut line with a tooth or the sacrificial fences. Salesman told that the dust collection will work better with the 36mm hose -- another approximately US $145.00+ tax for the non-static hose.

But it failed the Acid Test – “for the work that I do (small projects) will it cut any better than the Hitachi?” Could not say that it would. My use for a SCMS is cut off, cut to length, and some miters.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 02-25-2015 at 1:49 PM.

There was another thread that asked the same question. I thought long and hard about it, also - I've been thinking about it before the discount. I decided to buy one, primarily because I have a 12" Bosch right now. It's very accurate but I want something that will allow me to cut wider material and with better swarf collection.

I'll let you know how it works out for me.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

had it for a long time

I bought mine back when they first came out so no discount. I love mine had it a long time, and would not trade it now for anything. It ain't cheap, and not for everybody, but I'd buy it again.

It was tempting for me, but I've got a decent CMS already, and my "go-to" saw is my radial arm saw. Having owned this since the mid-70s, I am one of those "old timers" that grew up in the era of the RAS being a really popular shop tool. I didn't add a table saw to my shop until about 10 years ago. A RAS will do most anything, but like a Shopsmith, you get tired of going thru setups to move back and forth between all the use models (crosscutting, mitering, and ripping in the case of the RAS).

I now use my RAS for crosscutting only, and the table saw is just for ripping. The CMS is in the garage for outdoor projects, and the occasional miters. (My shop is in the basement and I just do not have to room for it, based on how often I use it. I instead plan to build a miter sled for my table saw.0

I've read enough about the wonders of the Kapex that I feel like I'll eventually own one. But I got hooked on the Festool track saw last year, buying it to break down sheet goods, and so there are many other Festool products I want now, and that are higher on my list than the Kapex.

I'd love to get one, but 10% just isn't much of a discount. If I could have snagged on during the 40% off recon sale that would have been a different story.

In 2013, the Kapex was normally priced close to what the discount is now. Annual price increases over the last few years has overpriced many Festools now. Other tool makers just don't have these increases. While I have 3 Festool tools, new ones just aren't on my radar much because so many other manufacturers have tools which accomplish the same tasks at a staggeringly lower cost. The Domino is really their unique option. But I do enjoy using the Festools I have and would not part with them because they do an excellent job.

While any miter saw is quite useful, it's a one trick pony and some excellent miter saws exist at 25-50% the cost of a Kapex. And a 10" miter saw is just not worth it to me. A 12" saw is a must.

Nope. It MIGHT sway me the next time the same deal comes along, but right now an upgrade from my pimped out Delta Contractor's Saw ist wo meine pfennigs gehen. There are really only 3 miter beasts in consideration for that distant day of upgrade, the Festool and the two Bosch Glides. Not sure that the cost premium for the Kapex is worth it, but I've got plenty of time to ponder the matter.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schweikert View Post
    In 2013, the Kapex was normally priced close to what the discount is now. Annual price increases over the last few years has overpriced many Festools now. Other tool makers just don't have these increases. While I have 3 Festool tools, new ones just aren't on my radar much because so many other manufacturers have tools which accomplish the same tasks at a staggeringly lower cost. The Domino is really their unique option. But I do enjoy using the Festools I have and would not part with them because they do an excellent job.

While any miter saw is quite useful, it's a one trick pony and some excellent miter saws exist at 25-50% the cost of a Kapex. And a 10" miter saw is just not worth it to me. A 12" saw is a must.
    John,

Good point about the cost increases. Last I remember, the Kapex was going for $1300. I don't recall the price when it was first introduced...maybe $1200?? If they would come a bit closer to a grand, I might just pull the trigger but the cost increases are annoying to the point that this 10% doesn't really mean anything. I've never seen a tool company increase prices as much as Festool does. I don't recall the last tool I bought from Festool (maybe the Domino) but it has been a while. I still love all of them and use them daily but I think I tapped out several years ago. I've managed to stay away from the Kapex and all the routers and I don't really see that changing any time soon.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

RE. Fe$tool price increases. I wonder how much of theses increases are due to the decreasing value of the US dollar?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    RE. Fe$tool price increases. I wonder how much of theses increases are due to the decreasing value of the US dollar?
    The dollar has been pretty strong recently.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I really pondered the thought but didn't pull the trigger. I like my other saws to the point of not doing it. Then there is getting all new saw blades as an additional expense, etc.

Festool will have 9% price increase in Canada starting March 1st. Not sure if Festool will have price increase in states.

I love Festool products, I bought most of my Festool tools in states when Canadian dollar was on par with US$, because Festool price tag in Canada has been always 20% more than the US price tag.

I am sick of their price increase every year, no other manufacturers increase the price every year, but actually drops the price. After this March's price increase, I most likely will not make any major Festool power tool purchase.

Why Samsung does not make power tools? Samsung can make anything, I am sure they can make quality tools like Festool. If they did, Festool would drop price soon

Quote Originally Posted by James Zhu View Post
    Festool will have 9% price increase in Canada starting March 1st. Not sure if Festool will have price increase in states.

I love Festool products, I bought most of my Festool tools in states when Canadian dollar was on par with US$, because Festool price tag in Canada has been always 20% more than the US price tag.

I am sick of their price increase every year, no other manufacturers increase the price every year, but actually drops the price. After this March's price increase, I most likely will not make any major Festool power tool purchase.

Why Samsung does not make power tools? Samsung can make anything, I am sure they can make quality tools like Festool. If they did, Festool would drop price soon

Sure, and that'll happen right about the time that Festool begins making cell phones
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Sure, and that'll happen right about the time that Festool begins making cell phones
    Samsung pretty much makes everything, check this wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung. But Festool is just a tool company.

Samsung is definitely capable of making power tools. They can "borrow" idea from Festool like they borrowed the idea from iPhone, then came up a very good, competitive Galaxy smartphone.

I do not think Festool could make cell phone