Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two adults going to Disney world for first time-any tips?

Blog Entries

Question Two adults going to Disney world for first time-any tips?

We are two adults going to Disney World in Florida for the first time in March.
    Anyone have any tips/suggestions/comments?
    Thanks
    Dennis

It makes a world of difference how old you are, what you like to do, etc. etc.

Comfortable shoes - there's a lot of walking.
    Have fun!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Try to get a fast pass to the rides and attractions you really want to go. My kids will do this and it really makes a difference not standing in line for an hour or more.

When are you going? If in the summer, the heat and humidity are killers...especially for this "I've lived in dry climates most of my life" fella! I see you are in New Jersey so you may be somewhat more acclimated but my family didn't last much past 2 PM after arriving first thing in the morning. Guzzle water like it is going out of style. We got one of those water bottles with the misting fan on top: Life saver!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Go to the Mexican restaurant at Epcot if you are planning on going to epcot. It books out in advance. Was very good.

Blog Entries
    Get a recent "unofficial guidebook", it will greatly assist in planning your day. When we went to FL we followed the guide and I think our longest wait was ~10 minutes.

Plan that you will be spending all day in the park. They don't make it easy to get in and out. Once you are there the drinks cost a fortune. Oh yeah, then there are the lines, for everything. Go off-peak for sure. Last thing you want is to be there on spring break

Observe and respect all posted "no swimming" signs, they're apparently quite touchy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Plan that you will be spending all day in the park. They don't make it easy to get in and out. Once you are there the drinks cost a fortune. Oh yeah, then there are the lines, for everything. Go off-peak for sure. Last thing you want is to be there on spring break
    Yeah, if you aren't in a hotel on the park grounds and served by either the monorail or a boat, getting to/from the hotel is a chore.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Go to the Mexican restaurant at Epcot if you are planning on going to epcot. It books out in advance. Was very good.
    Depending on the time of year, the Epcot places can fill their books quite a ways in advance.

Oh, and if you're going to be in FL for more than a few days, consider branching-out and visiting SeaWorld. We really liked SeaWorld.

Get the My Disney Experience app for your smartphone, helps you to keep track of stuff like wait times and FastPass tickets.
    Some rides have a separate line for solo riders so you'll get to ride much quicker, if you don't mind getting split up from your companion for a while.
    Tell them it's your birthday and you'll get a button to wear and some special attention throughout the parks. No comment on whether it's actually your birthday or not.
    Wear very comfortable walking shoes, and bring a water bottle.
    ~Garth

I've never been to Disney World, just Disneyland on the left coast. We had a great time the when we went before the kids were in school. We went mid-week in Sept or Oct, so most other kids were in school. Lines were short all day.

The next time we went was when our kids were in school, so we went in June. There must have been 10X as many people there. All we seemed to do was stand in lines. Disney is great at hiding people. You stand in what looks like a short line outside a ride or an exhibit. As soon as you get inside the building, there are a dozen or more switchbacks and another 30 minutes of waiting. I refuse to go during the summer break anymore.

Another bit of advice: Show up early and get near the front of the line at the entry gate. This will let you do 3-4 things before it gets really crowded. Lines keep getting progressively longer as more people make it through the front gate.

I have heard that you can spend a full week at Disney World.

Steve

My wife and I took the kids several times to both Disneyland and DisneyWorld. The latter is bigger/better, and more to do in Florida. My wife and I were at a trade show in Anaheim about 10 years ago, and Disneyland had been considerably upgraded since we took the kids back in the 80s and 90s. We went at 6PM (I don't recall if this was a special event due to the trade show, but crowds were not bad, we had a great time. It was odd going without any kids.

We went to DisneyWorld once in July -- big mistake, from the standpoint of heat and humidity. But crowds were less -- maybe the locals knew better than to go that time of year!