Thread: Why is my laser cutting 2 lines at once?

Why is my laser cutting 2 lines at once?

I'm new to this forum - hoping someone has experience with this problem

We have a Kern 150 watt - a beautiful machine - no problems
    And a Hurricane the last one Hurricane Lasers sold before they went belly up - this machine is my problem child

Came in this morning and looked at the reports from last night - no production
    Upon examining the .177 red acrylic in the trash - the laser didn't cut through completely and there were etch / cut line bordering the parts on the sheet. The etch marks are approx. 1/8" below the actual cut line running along the X-axis only. The "etch" marks run from .005" - .040" deep and are intermittent.

Checked all mirrors for debris or crack - nothing found.
    Checked mirror alignment - all good
    Checked lens condition and orientation - good
    I also ran a test to be sure the machine wasn't cutting twice - it's not - it's cutting 2 line intermittently at the same time

The only thing I noticed was the focus tube seems to have some play in it - up to 1/8" at the nozzle end.
    Currently waiting to get on the Kern to create parts for a "lens tube square / focus tool" to ensure the tube will be perpendicular to the laser bed when it's focused.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Mike

Does the laser have an air assist? I recently had something happen like this with our Kern. The cutting head came a bit loose from the linear bearing, and the air assist would intermittently lift the nozzle, causing a shadow etch below the cut line.
    Center for Experimental Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics - University of Washington
    Kern 400W 4'x8' HSE with metal cutting add-on and rotary stage
    2-axis CNC mill, 2 manual mills, 3 lathes, other standard shop tools, . . . and a 7.5 MeV tandem Van de Graaff particle accelerator

Hi Mike;
    Check for a loose lens
    Check for a cracked lens or has a spot on it which is deflecting the beam
    Check for loose head or belt
    Insure head is perpendicular to table
    Check for loose mirror
    If none of these work, send me the Kern unit and I will send you a GCC Mercury1!!
    good luck
    Best Regards
    ,George
    Laserarts
    *twin 80 watt Shenhui 1280
    *60 watt Laserpro Mercury -42ips
    *(2) 30 watt Laserpro Venus-42 ips
    *whole bunch of woodworking/metalworking machines
    *128 screwdrivers (all needed)
    *wonderful wife (1st) of 53 years who allows me to collect screwdrivers

He doesn't have a problem with the Kern, he has a problem with the Chinese hurricane one.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Scott;
    Yea- I know
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts
    *twin 80 watt Shenhui 1280
    *60 watt Laserpro Mercury -42ips
    *(2) 30 watt Laserpro Venus-42 ips
    *whole bunch of woodworking/metalworking machines
    *128 screwdrivers (all needed)
    *wonderful wife (1st) of 53 years who allows me to collect screwdrivers

Blog Entries
    If it's physically burning two lines at the same time, it's an optics issue... not necessarily bad optics, but an optics issue, nonetheless. If alignment has been checked, it's a loose lens/mirror (or mount) somewhere along the path. A continues double line (i.e., two parallel lines that cut in/out at the same time) say it's a double beam... the beam is not hitting the final lens in the center. If it's one line on, other line off, then swapping back and forth, it's a loose something or other vibrating back and forth.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Thanks for everyone's input.

After combing the web for a few hours I applied bits and pieces of advice I found and created a plan that seems to have corrected the issue.
    Some links are listed below.

http://hiq.linde-gas.com/internet.lg...e899_90085.pdf

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserco2.htm#co2pcls

http://www.hasary.com/service/2.html

Built a fixture that ensures that the focus tube is perpendicular to the stock when its locked in place - this check will become part of the SOP
    Built an adjustable nozzle that allows the standoff distance between the aperture and stock to be changed as needed and the aperture is also adjustable in diameter.

Thanks
    Mike

If your talking about the Chinese laser? I think the focus tube only has two screws to hold it in place and its a little loose anyway, at least on mine. Just make the opening a little larger on the cone so the beam will exit without bouncing off the tube inside. Suggested by someone on here.
    Last edited by Bill George; 02-27-2015 at 10:44 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10