Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazon Prime video $$

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Latshaw View Post
    Agree with these (including the last season comment for #1). Also

The Fall. My second favorite British detective, Stella Gibson.
    House of Cards. How Washington really works.
    Orange is the New Black. If you need to convince your daughter that prison is a bad place. Definitely NSFW.
    Revenge.
    Scandal.
    Endeavor. A young Inspector Morse.
    All good. The original BBC House of Cards is a killer. I like the original Inspector Morse as well

So is "Oz" - that right there is some chilling drama/black humor.

Annnd...Doctor Who. David Tennant is my fave Doctor. He is also in a newer Brit detective series called Broadchurch - about to launch its 2d season. He is very good there, and so is the script and directing.

WAIT!! - there is a newer series out called The Americans, on FX. I cans stream it on Xfinity. Get this: The two protagonists are married Russian spies in Washington DC, and you cannot help but root for them. Very, very, good.
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 02-27-2015 at 11:12 PM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    Satellite via directv
    internet w ATT
    Oh. OK. I have Comcast/Xfinity, and there is a bunch of good stuff in their On Demand feature.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Amazon Prime: I think previous seasons of a series are often free, but when you catch up to the current season, they want some money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    All good. The original BBC House of Cards is a killer. I like the original Inspector Morse as well

So is "Oz" - that right there is some chilling drama/black humor.

Annnd...Doctor Who. David Tennant is my fave Doctor. He is also in a newer Brit detective series called Broadchurch - about to launch its 2d season. He is very good there, and so is the script and directing.

WAIT!! - there is a newer series out called The Americans, on FX. I cans stream it on Xfinity. Get this: The two protagonists are married Russian spies in Washington DC, and you cannot help but root for them. Very, very, good.
    I will save the above suggestions also.

+1 on The Americans for sure; set in 80s-so far as I can see is broadly historically based. The characters generate lots of mixed emotions about them, like Kent has said. The best TV shows do that---cause Life is thoroughly grey and mixed emotions, right?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

There is also a new made-by Amazon show you should watch: Bosch.​ Also very good.
    I saw the first show and really liked it. Then waited for the second one. In the meantime I read all the books. Then I kinda gave up on Amazon making any more. Now I see they have made 9 more. I have a lot of catching up to do.

OK - here is one that is 100% guaranteed to be unlike anything else you have ever seen: Black Mirror.

Seasons 1 + 2 on Netflix [have not looked for it elsewhere]. 3 episodes per season, as typical of Brit drama shows.

It is British. Kind of a modern-day reimagining of The Twilight Zone. All involve the modern-day 24/7 news cycle and social media and people everywhere with the insidious smart phones. Except - it is intended to make you uneasy - to say the least. The episodes are all mesmerizing, but they range from disturbing to VERY disturbing. You will squirm in your seat.

Addresses modern-day societal issues. Politics is one issue, among others. The most discomforting episode I have seen so far addresses criminal justice and proportionality - making the crime fit the punishment. It does that in spades.....in a society that seems to have gotten its priorities all whacked out, until you ask yourself "compared to what? The current version?" The endgame of that episode will make your jaw hit the table.

The series is exceedingly well done. But - if you prefer to go innocently into that good night, without considering the "point" of each show vis-a-vis modern society, it likely is not for you.

You have been warned.

OK - here is one that is 100% guaranteed to be unlike anything else you have ever seen: Black Mirror.

Seasons 1 + 2 on Netflix [have not looked for it elsewhere]. 3 episodes per season, as typical of Brit drama shows.

It is British. Kind of a modern-day reimagining of The Twilight Zone. All involve the modern-day 24/7 news cycle and social media and people everywhere with the insidious smart phones. Except - it is intended to make you uneasy - to say the least. The episodes are all mesmerizing, but they range from disturbing to VERY disturbing. You will squirm in your seat.

Addresses modern-day societal issues. Politics is one issue, among others. The most discomforting episode I have seen so far addresses criminal justice and proportionality - making the crime fit the punishment. It does that in spades.....in a society that seems to have gotten its priorities all whacked out, until you ask yourself "compared to what? The current version?" The endgame of that episode will make your jaw hit the table.

The series is exceedingly well done. But - if you prefer to go innocently into that good night, without considering the "point" of each show vis-a-vis modern society, it likely is not for you.

You have been warned.
    Youre right- i saw the one about mind reading/visual images being retained then accesible by anoyher person.... Too creepy for me- but i can see the way science is going
    I been told that w the progress humanity has made in 20th century- horsedrawn wagons to space flight.... In the 21st century- it is predicted to be 1,000x (one thousand) times that progress---that alone makes the black mirror vignette above not unrealistic
    in the past, a scientist would have a cool idea, and *maybe* get published, then perhaps her idea imprived on by someone else in a year, 5 yrs....
    now- look at social media (eg, this forum) pretty instantaeous sharing of many like minds
    That in itself will enable a sort of 'group think' or 'swarm mentality' like we see in nature- where the collective power of the group enables an exponential exertion of 'outcome' (?)
    my peripheral brain here says (mercifully to u all) that battery is low....
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)