Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tool roll for chisel / gouges

tool roll for chisel / gouges

I know some shop storage has been covered on this forum for chisels. I still need to build some cabinets for my shop, and will make sure the chisels and gouges are covered. I was wondering if anyone here uses a tool roll for their chisels and gouges, and if it is homemade, or purchased? I have some tent canvas, and was thinking this might be a good use for it.

I have a Sargent 1080 Multi-plane (Stanley 45 equivalent) and the blades all came in a canvas roll. The canvas definitely shows signs of wear but it works. I also have a set of Stanley's new Sweetheart chisel's and they came in a really impressive leather tool roll that looks like it would last quite a while. Whatever you choose to store them in, make sure you have caps on the ends of the chisels or they will slice through what ever material you use when you take them in and out of it! I would love to see pic's of whatever you make! Good luck!

I bought a set of LN chisels from a fellow Creeker some years back and they arrived in a LN leather tool roll. This is how I store them but then again my tool organization is... non-existent.

Mike

I have mine stored in a cloth tool roll I bought from Woodcraft. Remember that the tools go in handle first, not blade first.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have the leather roll for my set of LN chisels and the canvas roll from BS for my assorted other chisels (which are mostly BS). I like them but will move them to the back of the case rack when I finish my tool chest.

I read somewhere that leather is not that great as far as rust is concerned. Also in my summer place near the ocean I left some oiled chisels in canvas roll in a shed and they did get a bit rusty over the summer, but we do get a lot of salty fog there and everything rusts fast. So I only use rolls for transport. At home I am near the ocean as well, but my tools are on sunny porch and rust has been not that much of an issue, but I do always wipe tools after their use.

I bought some good leather ones off ebay that came from the UK. They were still cheaper than rolls I've seen here.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinis Kanders View Post
    I read somewhere that leather is not that great as far as rust is concerned. Also in my summer place near the ocean I left some oiled chisels in canvas roll in a shed and they did get a bit rusty over the summer, but we do get a lot of salty fog there and everything rusts fast. So I only use rolls for transport. At home I am near the ocean as well, but my tools are on sunny porch and rust has been not that much of an issue, but I do always wipe tools after their use.
    I think I read that it depends on how the tanning was done. One process is okay and the other causes rust. I don't remember what the two processes were.

But there's no reason to go leather unless you just like it. A cloth roll works fine. I made some of my own from drop cloth material but found that the commercial ones were better (bought at Woodcraft) - a bit stiffer material.

Mike

[I bet George Wilson would know which leather is best for tools.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hi All,

I don't have a leather roll for chisels, but I do have a leather roll with auger bits in it. The roll was made from leather from an old jacket. I bought it at an auction of an old carpenter, that I believe was about 80 at the time, who was having his tool auctioned off. That was almost 40 years ago. I believe that he had kept the auger bits in that leather tool roll since the late 30s or early 40s, based on the condition, his age, and how it has aged over the past nearly 40 years that I have used them.

It must have been the right kind of leather, as alluded to above, because those bits have been in that tool roll about 75 years as best as I can guess, and they are still shiny, with virtually no rust. They don't even have a patina but are shiny steel.

Of course this country where I live is fairly dry, but I lived in central Kansas, which has moderately humidity for about 10 years.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 02-25-2015 at 10:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have a canvas roll for my Auriou carving tools but they live in a drawer and the canvas roll is stashed away. I find them too fussy to get the tools in and out of. They are great for traveling, but really unnecessary in the shop.

As as for the comments about leather not protecting tools from rust, LN used to say this on their site. I notice they no longer do. Perhaps it inhibited sales, or perhaps they changed their mind. I would oil the leather if I stored the tools in it.

Blog Entries
    Many years ago my bicycle tools and later automotive tools were kept in a tool roll. It never seemed to be the best way to store tools.

Of course now they all seem to get jammed into drawers or boxes.

Good thing there isn't a law against having more stuff than can be easily organized.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I think I read that it depends on how the tanning was done. One process is okay and the other causes rust. I don't remember what the two processes were.
    Vegetable tanned is the type of leather that you want for your tools. A bit thicker than the chrome/chemically tanned stuff but will not absorb rust.

The thin stuff they use on car seats and designer bags etc is the chrome tanned stuff.

Easy to remember, just think of your Mother telling you that veggies are good for you.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I love the idea of tool rolls but I don't really use them.

I think tool rolls work well for travel and they are nice for storing infrequently used sets of tools. My woodworking tools don't leave the shop, so I don't have any travel kits. Carpentry and other "trade" tools do travel with me on at times, but not in tool rolls.

Today I have exactly 2 tool rolls and both arrived this month. The first is a plastic roll containing a set of vintage auger bits. I'm not going to use a brace and bit regularly, so the roll is a nice way to store and protect them. The second came with the set of saw files I got from LV. I'm not going to sharpen saws daily, so it's a nice way to keep them organized and out of the way.

I like my primary chisels in a rack at my bench. My secondary set in in a rack only a couple of feet away. In the shop, a tool roll makes them unnecessarily difficult to access and put away.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

14. Before we moved cross country last year, my wive made me a couple of canvas ones and they work quite well. I have two for lesser used chisels that are unrolled in a drawer, that keeps them from banging into each other and on the whole I like that setup. My regular users live on a rack on the wall.

I use a tool roll for my chisels. Canvas made by my wife from a pattern in FWW (IIRC). I love it, not only that it keeps my chisels together (I don't have a tool chest yet - one day after the bench and such gets finished and I finally decide how I want to store things), but it also keeps them from banging around. Easy to grab the roll and have what I need at hand.

I like the canvas as well. I think I'd use it for any rolls that I had.