Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tool roll for chisel / gouges

Thanks for the replys. Sounds like a tool roll would have a place in the shop. I have to take care of some shop storage, but a couple of rolls for excess chisels and gouges would be a good thing to have.

Blog Entries
    I have been attending Woodworking Classes fairly often for the last year or two. I have quite a few tools in tool rolls so that they are quicker to load up and easier to get to make a selection from at the class. I like them so much I now use them in my shop at home. I use a Festool cart to carry Festool containers that tool rolls fit into easily:

IMG_0262-SM.jpgIMG_0263-SM.jpg

I think I payed 15-$18 for the two Balistic/Codura nylon rolls. The grey one just arrived a couple days ago from Amazon. Amazon carries a good selection and I have Amazon Prime. I ordered it one afternoon and it arrived the next day. I am getting all my tools together for a 6 day class at Country Workshops in Asheville,NC. Most of the classes I have been taking are green wood classes which do not require many chisels so I just take my Barr Chisel set that came in a nice leather Roll.

I keep the bulk of my chisels in drawers (see picture of jewelry cabinet), sometimes I put toolss I am using in the plastic tool holder on my StoreWall. I am also building a mobile tool holder from a Popular Woodworking design for a German tool cabinet.

IMG_0265-SM.jpgIMG_0264-SM.jpg

Now I am searching for a roll that is large enough to carry spokeshaves. The LV offering is a little small for my needs. The turner tool rolls are just too big. If anyone finds something middle size....
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 02-26-2015 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Now I am searching for a roll that is large enough to carry spokeshaves. The LV offering is a little small for my needs. The turner tool rolls are just too big. If anyone finds something middle size....
    Lee Valley makes a spokeshave holder roll that is excellent. You can always buy two if you have a lot of spokeshaves.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

For what it's worth you can make a pretty decent tool roll with a lumber yard nail apron.
    Just run some stitches up the pockets to the width needed. Comes with a draw string and a fold over flap and usually is free.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I picked up a roll on Etsy I really like. PM me for a direct link, not sure forum rules about such things. The Schwarz just did a review of some good ones from a maker here in TX, so expect a long lead time now!

My shop has no AC or heat so I wrap 'em up after a good oil wipe and put them in a mechanics tool chest. No corrosion issues, I just have to be mindful of exposed edges when handling.

Blog Entries
    Mike, It says the LV roll holds shaves 12" and less:

IMG_0268-SM.jpg

The shaves above are all 12" or larger. The LV shaves are 10.5". The top one is over 15" long x 2" (5" blade) and want fit in any of my tool rolls. The elastic for holding the shaves in the LV roll does not look very sturdy to me. The blade holding pockets are too small for many of the blades in my shaves...Still I may get a LV shave roll for the smaller ones, if I don't find anything that will keep them all in one roll. Some will fit in the large tool rolls in the pictures above. The problem is the blades are exposed in the center of the roll right where chisel/gouge/files have metal parts with nothing to keep them apart.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 02-26-2015 at 10:41 PM.

I bought a leather tool roll from - I believe - Highland Woodworking. Put the files I bought from them in it and a month later they had rusted. Usually it takes years for things to rust in my shop. I'm not willing to risk using that particular leather roll anymore! Canvas sounds appealing, but I haven't tried it. I've also heard of people using leather that's oiled up but I always thought that sounded rather - oily.

Blog Entries
    Mary May, the woodcarver, pointed out how easy it is to make a good tool roll from an old pair of jeans. Denim makes a good roll. A few minutes with a sewing machine and presto! Plus, you can make it to fit whatever tools you need to accommodate.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I drug out all my chisel rolls today to compare. I had bought several different ones off ebay to compare probably six months ago, but chisels got put in them and stored. Remembering this thread, I decided to compare, and check for rust. No rust on any of the chisels. Of the different rolls, the one I liked best was a "Faithful". They go for 18 bucks and change on ebay plus 6 bucks shipping from the UK. Only 8 slots, but the leather is thick, and a set of NOS Boxwood handled Marples chisels was a perfect fit in one, as was a set of the blue plastic handled ones. Another darker colored leather one holds more chisels by facing them in both directions, but the leather is thin, and I was wishing I had ordered more of the Faithfuls. Also in there are a couple of the Bucket Boss ones that I've had for a couple of decades, but I'd be best satisfied if they were all the good leather ones.