Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharpening Kitchen Knives

I highly recommend the Spyderco TriAngle Sharpmaker https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

It is not a "system" as much as a free hand approach but it works very nicely with such a small learning curve.

Nearly every knife that already has a decent edge can be sharpened to a very keen edge with the basic set up
    of the two ceramic rod sets - a medium grit brown and a fine grit white. For knife edges that need some repair
    or for those you might want to establish a new bevel you would also want to get a set of diamond rods to augment the
    basic set up. Our knives and scissors are very sharp at all times using the Spyderco. It sits on my bench, takes up little room,
    virtually no set up and few minutes to bring a good edge to very sharp. I don't carry a dull knife and I always carry a knife.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Fastest way I've found is a belt grinder.

For western knives, Henckels and Cutco's, I use a combination of waterstones, polishing disc, and believe it or not, a standard steel.
    For the Shun's I have acquired I haven't done anything yet. The geometry is a little different and I haven't figured out if it's all hype or not.

Now if someone cold tell me how to sharpen a hoof knife correctly, that would be a help.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

http://www.naturalhoof.co.nz/sharpen.html

I'm not sure what good it will do you in your kitchen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    I highly recommend the Spyderco TriAngle Sharpmaker https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77
    +1. This also works on serrated blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    +1. This also works on serrated blades.

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention that - it is excellent on serrated knives.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    http://www.naturalhoof.co.nz/sharpen.html

I'm not sure what good it will do you in your kitchen.
    Jim

My wife has a horse and she does light trimming on his frogs and soles. I've been sharpening the hoof knife for her, but doing the hook is a pain, and I thought there must be an easier way.
    According to the link you provided, it looks like there isn't.
    Thank you of the link.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I use a 12" ceramic thermocouple protection tube.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I've had an edgepro apex for 10 years and I don't think you can find a better knife sharpening system outside of waterstones.

The video for the Work Sharp Ken Onion Knife Sharpener shows it flexing the belt to sharpen a hook knife of sorts in the video just before the 4:00 mark... http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/pt81112/ Maybe this will help someone..

I also use the Spyderco Sharpmaker. I tried a bunch and this works best for me. One comment is that it is more of a "sharp maintainer" then a "sharpmaker". However, once you get it to the angle the system wants, which is not hard, it is a breeze to keep them sharp. It is small, clean, easy to use, and only costs like $70 or so. As I found out, just because I can get my chisels and plane irons hair popping sharp, doesn't mean I can do my kitchen knives. This system made it doable at an affordable price. I have enough $ in sharpening equipment for irons and chisels then I care to admit. I did not want to get crazy for kitchen knives. Way less important to be hair popping sharp, workable sharp is plenty.

Spyderco TriAngle Sharpmaker
    Yup, that's what I use as well. I've had mine since 1985.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Yup, that's what I use as well. I've had mine since 1985.
    Wow! I thought they were "fairly" newer. Never would have guessed.

Watch the Spyderco demo video...you'll see how old the video is...!