Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening Kitchen Knives

Sharpening Kitchen Knives

What does everybody use to sharpen your kitchen/household knives? I looked at the Worksharp knife sharpener but am unsure if that is really the correct edge for a kitchen knife. Any thoughts?
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

I use this one having tries to do it by hand and failed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCPB9kfv7dg
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    I am one of those annoying guys from the neander section who owns tons of sharpening gear and actually enjoys sharpening threads and discussing the virtues of stropping and microbevels and Tormeks and..... I say this because what I am about to say may surprise you. I actually like the Worksharp knife sharpener. I have the attachment for my 2000 and bought my mom the hand-held sharpener. I fully expected to scoff at it and bought it just for fun, but actually it is great, especially for hard to sharpen stainless knives.

That said, I still use waterstones for my good knives. You didn't think I would just use a powered sharpener did you? :-) I am a sharpening geek. I enjoy hand sharpening down to 0.25 microns and slicing onions so thin you can't find them. If this is you, then get a set of Naniwa or Shaptons, but if you want a decent edge with not much fuss, get the Worksharp knife sharpener. It won't get you splitting atoms, but it will have you slicing lemons and filleting fish with ease. You could also get it and a good finishing stone like a 6k to 8k waterstone if you want to finesse the edge.

Please don't tell the neander guys I said this or I will lose my club membership.

I do mine on my Makita flat wheel I have Henckels and a couple of Japanese hand forged. I do the final on a 10,000 hand stone.

Make sure you warn company. I have had an issue with that.

I use a set of Lansky sharpening stones to sharpen knives which probably makes me an antique this day and time. I bought the 5 stone Lanky sharpening set in 1984 while I was working in upstate NY, it was recommended to me by a machinist that I was working with at the time. The Landsky system is a Sharpening for Dummies approach to keeping your knives sharp enough to shave with and it requires absolutely no expertise
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-25-2015 at 7:39 PM.

Like Keith, I use something simple to lap by hand.
    I use the flat EZE-lap diamond plates on a plastic wand.
    A few passes with the fine hone is generally enough.

http://eze-lap.com/hunting_fishing_o...se/hone-stone/
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 02-26-2015 at 7:36 AM.

I use a Tormek 1000 grit 250mm stone then onto 6000 grit wet stone then to a leather wheel with polishing paste, this process will sharpen your knives like nothing else. **Note** you must use the correct bevel angle on the 1000 grit stone and the 6000 grit Japanese wet stone, this takes practice and skill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    I use this one having tries to do it by hand and failed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCPB9kfv7dg

Blog Entries
    I use a fine grit ceramic whet stone by Spyderco. It is quick and easy.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

9. I have a set of 3 large oil stones (butcher shop style with oil bath) that rotate to change stones but have not used it in years, then I got the Lansky diamond system and thought that was the cats meow, currently I use the Warthog diamond system and love it. I keep the Warthog on my desk and ocassionaly while reading forums I pull out my pocket knife and run it through the Warthog a few times for a touchup. I am very anal about a sharp knife and let no one use my knife, I might cut it for you but you will not use my knife. Call me anal, my wife does.

I use a medium Arkansas stone 2'x6' that I've had for 38 years, and finish with a small hard white Arkansas stone. I do all my kitchen knives about once a year. I put a 30-35 degree included angle on all my knives by hand and they hold up for a very long time.

I use one of those small diamond paddles like this http://www.amazon.com/DMT-FWEEE-Doub...BT5GBWWH00W8KS and sharpen pretty much every week or two--basically every time I'm going to do any serious cutting I give the knife a quick touch. It just lives in the knife drawer. For more serious work they go out to the motorized wet wheel in the shop.

For me, sharpening your knives once a year, which many good cooks I know do, would be like sharpening your plane blade or bowl gouge once a year (whether it needs it or not).

I use one of these, I have the 1000 grit belt and the leather belt.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...84&cat=1,43072

Regards, Rod.

I use the same one as Rod. I go coarser with the belt to get some tooth on my knives, but the idea is the same. Each knife take seconds.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Chef's Choice.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I also use the Lansky. Bought it 1989 and been using it since. Works great. Nice and quiet like using handtools.