Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting a Saw Started

Now I get it! After seeing it done, it makes perfect sense. I don't do a lot of ripping but I'll have to give this a shot next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I'm certainly not expert with this saw yet, but I think I've got a good handle on it, this is how I start. Mind you, I generally cut small pieces on the regular bench, but I wanted to show the saw bench in use as well.

http://youtu.be/zgY5Mblfilc
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    Cheers! Mind you, shorts are much easier to cut upright in the tail vise, but I start them the same way.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Glad to see others posting their videos.

If this was available a decade ago my sawing would likely be a lot better.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I have one on how to light a cigar as well, if more help is needed.
    OK that tears it. Now it's official- I grew up in the wrong era! Video instructions for various woodworking skills AND how to properly light a cigar (to achieve that perfectly symmetrical ash on your Hoya De Monterey Double Corona)!!

Apparently all the manly arts I've spent my 55 years learning are now available via on demand video! If there's You tube for training dogs/hunting birds, buying a good suit and marrying the right girl, then my value as a father to our two boys just became obsolete! No wonder they never listen to me - they already learned everything on the internet.

Brian, your a man after my own heart -whiskey, cigars and woodworking- what else do you need?

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    I think we may be missing one.....how to pan-sear steaks

Cheers!

Yes. Please.

This I gotta see...................
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Did i notice a carpet on the workshop floor there Brian?

On the sawing. I'm relatively new to back saws (bought a set of Veritas saws last year), but with a fair amount of handsawing from a very young age. I seem to do ok on getting started. I had some initial problems with catching and bouncing, but unloading the saw as recommended by various seems to help that enormously as long as I don't mess it up.

One set up issue that seems to matter a lot in my case is to place the work set at the right height. I've been using a temporary bench that's much too high, and find that it causes a tendency for the saw to drift off the line as i go down a longer cut. At that stage the game is lost - attempted straightening inevitably results in a twisted cut. When i check i always seem to have managed to pull my elbow in too tight to my body, and to have it tensed too much.

Standing on something to relatively speaking lower the work seems to resolve the issue most of the time - it permits properly relaxing my arm and the saw then (most of the time) holds its line....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Yes. Please.

This I gotta see...................
    Hah, now I'm going to have to actually make that video The first bit will just be me hunting through bottles of scotch for the perfect accompaniment. Port, Bourbon, rye, espresso and heavy burgundies are all approved choices as well.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 03-01-2015 at 3:48 PM.

Ron,
    Different strokes for different folks.
    Pull stroke start for rip.
    That was impressive. Following the line even on the back side ! Beautiful saws with out a doubt.
    What my little pea brain noticed . . . completely unrelated to performance and obviously perfect results was that . . .
    when visually compared with the stationary , very nice, Powermatic cabinet saw base in the back ground . . .
    your vise/bench moves not only back and forth but up and down. A small amount but discernible.
    Meaningless but I couldn't help noting it.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Look up in the sky . . . its a bird, its a plane, . . . NO . . . IT'S A KLAUSZ BENCH

Brian
    and everyone did you see that ?
    Sawing through 5/4 walnut with the Dovetail saw
    (ha, ha nice one)
    Well forgive me but now I am obsessed with it . . .
    besides what appeared to be less effort cutting the wood than Ron's vid
    there was zero flex (effectively) in the bench/vise/work compared against the stationary line of the shelf support in the back ground in your vid.
    Shoulder vise / Klausz bench = good.

PS: I am curious . . . Brian, did you sharpen that saw or is that stock or did someone else sharpen it ?
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    Lol! I did sharpen it a few weeks ago. I ran through Mike's walk-through and it's been cutting fantastically since (thanks Mike!).

Mike's walk-through and it's been cutting fantastically since (thanks Mike!).
    It shows.

the prompt said my message was too short so I am typing this to lengthen it.
    First my messages are "too long" (PM prompt)
    Now they are "too short" (this message).
    This posting stuff is nerve racking.
    But
    Better is Better.