Thread: Old plane

Old plane

I found this plane in a bunch of stuff I had-maybe somebody could weigh in on were or who made it only markings on it are on the blade SCHWEI & C A S
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

It's a chariot plane as made by the various English infill plane makers like Norris. Many small metal planes of this sort were also made up by individual pattern makers for their own use. The blade may be cut down from the iron of a larger tool. It seems very thick for such a small plane, and although SCHWEI doesn't immediately bring anything to my mind, CAS looks like the beginning of CAST STEEL.

It's COOL !
    thanks for posting it.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Pretty neat, John.

You been OK? Did the guy west on 56 Hwy add any railcars recently?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

This is very interesting about the plane thank you all for the information , Kent if I remember my information correctly The Man owned the property pass a way , I think there might be one railcar left out there but I have not been to Topeka by 56 long time
    Thanks John

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    It's COOL !
    thanks for posting it.
    I will second that....

Very possibly a user made chariot. The infill looks a bit unfinished, and the blade, obviously cut down from original. The "SCHWEI", could have originally been SCHWEITZ, meaning "SWISS" in the German-Swiss tongue.
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    It actually says "Schweizer." I stamp it on all my tools. Please return it at once to avoid prosecution!

Hahaha. Actually it is probably "Schweiz" which Stewie already noted means "Swiss". It seems they cut the blade down after the name was struck. I cannot think of any related German words starting with "CAS" that the second word would be except this: Switzerland is divided into cantons which are like states. The Canton of St. Galen is abbreviated SG. It could be CASG, to denote what canton it is made in, but in German I believe it is spelled Kanton and I believe are referred to as "Staat." However, Latin terms are still used in Switzerland- for instance, the IATA abbreviation for Switzerland is "CH" which is from the Latin "Confoederatio Helvetica." So it could be CASG to denote the Canton of St. Galen.

It could also have said "Schweizer Cast" which would be mixing German and English. This could be Swiss-German. So I would bet it says "Swiss Cast" in Swiss-German.

In any event, it's probably really good steel!
    Maurice

Maurice it did sharpen up very well
    Thanks John

Malcolm thanks for the insight
    Thanks John