Thread: First time in a gallery show

First time in a gallery show

Ok, Just one piece. The university where I teach has a faculty art show every 5th semester. This year I decided to put in one of my hollow forms. I wasn't able to go on opening night, but did manage to get to see the show last night. Great works of art, all through the gallery. When I saw mine I was a bit disappointed. Even from 5 feet away I could see that it had been broken. The damage was minor, a hairline crack in a part of the finial. I thought it may have been damaged before I submitted it, but on closer inspection, I could see that someone had tried to glue it back together, They mostly did a good job, but the glue was very glossy, where the rest of the piece was matte. I think the damage must have happened when someone tried to pull the finial out, and instead of just pulling up, pulled forward some and the leverage broke the wood. I think what bothers me most, is not that it got broken, but that it is still on display in that condition. Oh well, I guess I get to see if this one can be fixed. I wonder how you get the message across to people not to touch items in an art gallery? The sign that read do not touch was 3" away form the piece. Too far apparently. Sorry, Just had to blow off some steam. I thought I had posted this piece previously here, but I couldn't find the picture in manage attachments. So, since it is in the gallery now, no pictures. No pictures, it didn't happen right? I wish it hadn't.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

all experiences can be learning experiences....be thankful that yours was chosen to be displayed.......before the next one, ask if you have a delicate piece if it can be put under glass....or chose one to enter that is more hardy

galleries are fun.....one gets to see good competition from a different mediums.....need to have a hook

welcome to the world of putting your cherished artwork in other folk's hands. Be ready to accept loss.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Brian, first - congrats on the exhibit!! This is where it all starts. As to the damage, I can appreciate the feelings. Two separate galleries "lost" pieces of mine - two at one gallery. Both voluntarily compensated me for the loss. At another gallery, I had two pieces damaged over a period of a year, and was compensated on one of those. I agreed to redo one of the finials at my loss after a change of gallery managers and an understanding about the future handling of my work.

My advice to you is to cordially confront those in charge. Regardless of the outcome as to you, the facility needs to correct its procedures and communications as to future dealings with artists and all of us owe it to the art community to require responsible gallery procedures.

5. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Brian, first - congrats on the exhibit!! This is where it all starts. As to the damage, I can appreciate the feelings. Two separate galleries "lost" pieces of mine - two at one gallery. Both voluntarily compensated me for the loss. At another gallery, I had two pieces damaged over a period of a year, and was compensated on one of those. I agreed to redo one of the finials at my loss after a change of gallery managers and an understanding about the future handling of my work.

My advice to you is to cordially confront those in charge. Regardless of the outcome as to you, the facility needs to correct its procedures and communications as to future dealings with artists and all of us owe it to the art community to require responsible gallery procedures.
    John........I agree that we need to band together as artists, and try to get galleries to be responsible. I have a question regarding this. In our areas, it seems all the galleries basically have a disclaimer that is a prerequisite for putting an item there........something to the effect that "care will be taken to properly display items, but the gallery will not be responsible for damage or theft of items placed in the gallery for sale and display"

Basically all of them do this in our area, and it basically means the artist assumes all risk involved. A fair number of the galleries are artists co-ops, and I am not sure that makes a difference, but likely all the artists are in the same boat as taking the risk, and do not want their profits eat into by having to pay for a damaged piece by another in the co-op.

Any way to change this in your mind, or is the solution to find a gallery that the owners carry insurance for just such events?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I'm not really worried about the piece being broken, because I can probably fix it relatively easily. The show ends this weekend, so the piece will be coming back soon. It is a university gallery, and I knew going in that there was the potential for some damage, and I did agree ahead of time in my own mind to assume the risk. I knew that there could be children in the gallery, which I am in favor of. I think kids should be exposed to art at an early age, and be taught an appreciation for it. I guess my only real problem, was that I wish they had taken the piece out of the show when it got damaged. I don't want people to see my art and think I care so little about my work that I am OK showing poor quality or damaged work. I see that problem in the students I teach. I am amazed at the poor condition of some of the assignments they turn in, and their "Just ignore it, it doesn't matter" attitude. If they see my work damaged and on display, it makes it look as if I have the same attitude that I am trying to help therm lose. Unless I can fix it to be the same or better than the original, I'll just toss it, and never show it or sell it. The reality is that I am sure I can fix it. I still have a mountain of wood from the same tree. I have no animosity toward the gallery people. I know them, and I know how careful they try to be.

So, just asking for your opinion, if this was your piece, would you want it pulled from display if it got damaged, or left on display?
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

7. "So, just asking for your opinion, if this was your piece, would you want it pulled from display if it got damaged, or left on display?"
    Brian........I agree with your rationale........If I was representing excellence to students who are prone to let it slide easily such as you speak of, I would want it removed, and at least have a chance to make it whole and put it back on display. I guess a bigger "do not touch" sign next time or an acrylic case over the top of it, might help a little?!

Roger, I have not placed any work in a co-op gallery, so I can't speak to those practices. We do have a local artist's guild that has a co-op gallery. I haven't placed any work there for a number of reasons, one of which is the lack traffic, limited appropriate display and lack of responsible supervision of the inventory. Most of my work is delicate, to an extent, and I don't want to risk damage to it. My price point also exceeds much of the work on display, and that alone makes it probably not a good choice.

It would seem that gallery placements need to fit into the overall business/marketing plan one has. IMO, one needs to match the venue as best as possible, with one's overall goals as an artist taking into consideration the typical traffic to the establishment, the price range of art on display, any similar work being carried, and the overall character of the venue. Sometimes, one can be overly selective, and sometimes, there just aren't that many options. Everyone needs to start somewhere, and I encourage that. On the other hand, I don't feel compelled to take every opportunity to display my work. This is a retirement endeavor for me, and while I thoroughly enjoy the opportunity to express myself through my art, and I enjoy the sales, I don't depend on the income.

As to special exhibits such as the one Brian's work is in, I would be very hesitant unless there were clear understandings about the risk of loss, and how the display was going to be supervised, etc. I never want anyone else to attempt a repair of my work, and I make that clear to any galleries that handle my work. At the risk of sounding mercenary, I would want to consider "what is in it for me." I have no problem with philanthropy. I support my church by tithing, I volunteer in the community, and I have donated many art pieces to functions I felt were providing a benefit. But, an "exhibit" is an entirely different matter. I view those as marketing opportunities, and weigh them accordingly.

As to pulling the piece - YES!

9. Thanks for the reply, JK.......good things to consider!

I believe the piece should be removed from display. I would be more concerned with the fact they tried to repair it instead of contacting you. With your permission it might have been a good idea to leave it on display in the broken condition with a sign that says "this is why we do not want you to handle these delicate pieces."

Brian, I like Paul, am surprised and disappointed that they did not contact you once they realized it was broken. You are assuming that it was broken by a visitor. My initial thoughts were that it probably got broken during setup of the display. Why else would someone have tried to fix it. However it happened, I would definitely spend time talking with the people that put the show on to let them know your concern and disappointment.

Roger & John--I'm part of a co-op gallery here in our town and it is our policy that the artist is responsible for any loss or damage to his/her pieces. The primary reason for that is the gallery only takes 10% commission on the sale of items and we do not have insurance that would cover loss or damage to any of the work--to expensive. With that said, we do take the approach that if a customer damages a piece of work they become the happy owner of the piece of art. We have only had this happen one time, a mother came in with her very young daughter, the daughter got behind the counter and broke a plate that was on display on a shelf. The mother wasn't happy with us for saying that she needed to pay for it. She did pay for it and was madder at us than at her daughter.