Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAS cleaning/restoration

RAS cleaning/restoration

I was in need of a "project" to keep my mind busy while i don't have a furniture or shop project going on. It's the dead of winter and I'm a stay at home dad to two young kids so I need something to keep my mind active!

So last weekend I picked up a Delta 33-891 turret radial arm saw, made in 1986. So it's not vintage but it's got some years under its belt. It has minimal rust but has a buildup of what I only can assume is grime and pitch in it that I can seem to get off without being very aggressive with a wire brush.

I've already got it disassembled about 75% of the way and am enjoying learning the ins and outs of the saw. My question is, what's the best way to strip and paint it? I've never painted a machine before, or really any metal before. Do I need to strip it down to bare metal? I was planning on using rattle can primer/paint. I've found a few discussions, blogs, rebuild tutorials, but they don't seem to detail the painting process as much as I'd like. Could somebody point me to a good painting tutorial? I need to know if I can just take a wire/scotch brite wheel to it or if I just need to rough/clean the surface.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a 1979 year of that saw. The old DeWalts have nothing on these old Deltas. Mine has the same grime. For me, I just knocked of what would come off and started using the saw.

John

I have a Dewalt 7790 that is in use now, so I'm glad to hear the Deltas are better in your opinion.

I bought this saw as a project ($150 btw), and Besides just taking it apart and cleaning it and tuning it, I think painting it would be fun and add a custom touch.

Nothing wrong with using a cosmetically dirty saw of course. It's not like the paint color will affect the performance.

Matt, there may be a topic on painting on the wiki at vintagemachinery.org but offhand I'm not sure. If the paint is sound and you can get anything off that is loose you should be OK painting over. If you have access to a bead blaster that would be taking it to the next level. I prefer that over wire-wheel but if you have to pay that's another factor.

Have fun and post pix along the way.

Doug

Doug, I couldn't find much about painting on the OWWM wiki. If you can find anything, please let me know. The paint does seem to be very sound, and I have not found any flaking anywhere. it would be nice if I could do a wire wheel and then prime and paint. I will continue to do some research and hopefully get some input here before I go any farther though.

I do need to do better about taking pictures, I was so focused on first getting the machine into my car, and then getting it out of my car and it's in my basement in one evening, but I failed to take any pictures. And then I was so into starting the disassembly process, I didn't take any pictures of that before. That's why I don't have a blog or anything, LOL.

I am currently finishing up an older Craftsman bandsaw which has lots of cast iron. I just used a wire brush in a drill for the large parts, and a bench grinder with a coarse and fine wire wheels for the hand-held stuff. I also used a Dremel with wire brushes for nooks and crannies and hard to reach areas.
    As for painting; lots of folks, including me use the rattle cans with great success. I use the Rustoleum Industrial primer (tall cans from Lowes), and a good quality paint for the top coat. Several light coats please-to prevent running and drips.
    good luck and have fun

Thanks Mike, that's what I was hoping to hear.

Just remember to wipe down all surfaces with a solvent soaked rag to remove any oily residue and allow it dry thoroughly before you start any spray painting. The surface must be oil free.

Depending on whether you want it to look original, or just look good, probably means two different courses to follow. If cost were not a concern, I'd have an auto body shop paint it. But you said you are a stay-at-home dad, with two kids, so maybe you will prefer to paint it yourself. Kids are expensive!

I've had really good luck with some of the "hammered/hammertone" type of finishes from rattle cans. They tend to go on quite nicely, and can cover minor imperfections. Plus many of the colors have a pretty decent "industrial" look to them. Check out Rustoleum's line called Universal Hammered Spray Paint.

Thanks for the suggestions Lee, I'll look into it. I don't care to restore it to original, it was too drab for me. Nothing crazy though.

Robert, what kind of solvents do you recommend?

That should be a nice saw for you! I look forwards to seeing the end result!

For painting I usually try to just get all the shine off the original paint if it is adhering well. Sand paper or a Scotch bright pad does a nice job of knocking the shine off good paint. I usually only resort to a powered wired brush or powered scotch bright disc if the original paint is flaking or chipping. I have painted many machines with Hammerlite paint and it is my favorite. I have also used the Rustoleum hammered finish paint with excellent results. I have never primed my machines before painting with the mentioned paints and always gotten excellent adhesion with them. I like using acetone for a final wipe down before painting to remove any oil and residue.

Looking at your pictures I would just go over the surface with a non-powered Scotch bright pad, wipe with acetone then paint with hammered finish paint.

I have a couple of machines that I refinished with Hammerlite 15 years ago without primer that do not have a single chip or nick on them.
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 02-26-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Great! Thanks a lot for your advice Mike!

Your welcome.

I have a Davis Wells horizontal boring machine that I refinished several years ago. I spent several hours buffing it well with a Scotch bright pad. Then when I wiped it down with acetone the remaining paint melted. I ended up scrubbing it down to bare metal with acetone and a non-powered wire brush.

My point, test acetone on your existing paint before spending many hours buffing with a Scotch bright pad. Once the acetone softened that particular original paint there was no way that the new paint would have held. This probably won't be an issue for you but it will only take a couple of seconds to test.

Will do Mike, good advice.

A couple other questions:
    What do you do with small bolt holes - cotton, wax?
    I have a couple circular areas that I don't want paint on where the turret rotates for instance. Would you use wax there instead of tape? Any taping tips?