Thread: Finishing Schedule Critique

Finishing Schedule Critique

SWMBO has decided that the vanities in the guest and master baths are getting refinished. So both have been sanded to bare wood.

The plan is:

- clean with a tack cloth
    - spray a light coat of Kilz Max
    - spray two coats of Target EM6500
    - spray two coats of Target EM9000 poly in Satin

I just purchased a Fuji MM4 with gravity gun and 3M PPS system for this job. I have 1.3, 1.5, and 1.8 mm nozzles/tips.

This will be my first time using a HVLP setup and could really use any advice on my plan, and pointers in general.

Thanks,

Mike

I would wipe with DNA and let dry (almost instantly) prior to the tack cloth. This will remove any oils from your hands and the majority of the dust from sanding.

Can't help any further than this as I do not spray.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Thanks for the tip George, I will definitely do that.

If you are new to spraying, I strongly suggest you purchase Charron's Spray Finishing book. It will tell you how to set up and adjust your equipment. It will also tell you how to spray. Make time to learn and practice spraying. Cardboard boxes make good targets. Only when you are comfortable and satisfied with your spraying should you begin to spray your "money" project.

You might also contact Target and review your plans with them. They are very willing to spend time helping you out.
    Howie.........

Ask Target how they feel about the EM9000 over the EM6500 just to be sure...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I did talk to Jeff at Target and he confirms that the EM9000 will topcoat the EM6500 with no issues. I ordered the stuff yesterday, and it should ship Monday at the latest.

I plan to scuff sand the Kilz Max after it has dried to ensure proper adhesion of the EM6500, but does the EM6500 and EM9000 need to be scuff sanded between coats as well?

7. I would recommend sanding between coats with progressively finer grits.
    DP
    Dale Probst
    www.wardprobst.com

>>>> does the EM6500 and EM9000 need to be scuff sanded between coats as well?

If between coat sanding is required, the label instructions will say so. If in doubt, give Target another call.
    Howie.........

I see you got a new fuji MM4 out of this project, well played. I have had great customer service from jeff at target finishes so ask him first if you need to scuff sand, you may not need to. If you don't get him and you leave a message he is very good about always getting back to you right away, especially if you are in a time crunch. I think the longest I have ever waited to hear back was 24 hours, and that was on an unimportant issue. Great perk to be able to talk to the maker of the product himself.

Just for my own education, why are you using EM9000 over the EM6500? Isn't the EM6500 a top coat? Are you trying to get a satin look vs what EM6500 gives you? Just asking because I have a project coming up, and this sounds like the route I'm going to go.

As a side question, anyone used the CL100 Crosslinker with the EM6500?

Thanks

After talking with Jeff at Target, I am going with the EM9000 topcoat to give the vanity a harder finish. I want this cabinet to stand up to the abuse from my grandkids and German Shepherd, for a few years at least.