Thread: Need a furniture name

Need a furniture name

I want find some plans or pictures of a piece of furniture to build for just inside our foyer. I do not know what they are called and need your help. It is one of those tall units with a coat hooks, maybe a mirror, bench to sit, maybe boots, and umbrela holder. They are maybe 6' high and 3' wide and maybe 18" deep.

I saw a really nice one many decades ago in an antique store but did not have the house or resources to get it at that time. I would like to build something of a victorian flavor from back when "real" furniture was made.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks and Take Care...
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Try searching "Hall Tree".

Maybe a "settle"?

Those work. Thanks guys.

Take Care...

Enjoy Life...

Here ya go. I am putting it up on the 3D Warehouse as soon as I finish this post. Search "Hall bench coat rack" and you will find it.

I presume you use Sketchup. The model is for size and some detail only. I did not do the joinery.

The base is three stile and rail and panel parts, joined at the front leg corners with miters. Use a lock miter joint or something else. I did not show it, but the seat has a hinged central panel (piano hinge is best) to access a compartment for gloves, hats, etc. Do mirrors in the three upper back panels. Mount your hangers on the high rail under.

Would be nice in rift-cut cherry or oak, or to do it up really big, QSWO.

Idea came from a photo someone posted on a forum recently.

When I lived in Fort Wayne, my go-to place for the lumber for a project such as this would be Holmes Lumber, in Columbia City.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gene Davis; 02-26-2015 at 1:19 PM.

Wow Gene. Way more than I asked for. It looks nice.

I have never used sketchup but maybe I will give it a try so I can check out your work.

Thanks for posting. Maybe others can use this as well.

I have done a little research on hall trees and there is only one plan I found which is not exactly my taste. I like this better. There are many pictures out there which are really nice.

I always thought a hall tree was one of those post things with hooks at the top. Guess I was a bubble off on that one. LOL

There is a place called Wible Lumber in South Milford that has nice wood. I will have to check out Holmes as I have never been there.

Take Care

Just came back to add a note. Looks like you need Windows 7 or greater to download sketchup. Guess I need a newer computer.
    Last edited by Raymond Fries; 02-26-2015 at 2:12 PM.

Enjoy Life...

I have always wanted to make a hall tree but I never have had a big enough hallway to put one in.
    Here's one that I really like:
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

"Need a furniture name"

Fred would be nice.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Bruce that one is awesome. I would love to make one like that. Would have to commission the carved finial though. Wish plans were available but I doubt it.

LOL Kent.

Enjoy Life...

I put this one together fairly quick. Wanted to keep bottom open so kids could just kick their shoes under.

20140623_205134.jpg
    Sorry for the sideways pic, I posted it from my "smart" phone.
    Last edited by Keith Strong; 02-27-2015 at 6:13 AM.

Added brass hooks to the SU model, refined it a little by resizing upper panels, extending overhangs of seat, crown. Added small corbels. Updated model now up on 3D Warehouse.

Holmes and Company out in Columbia City is a big operation. A wholesaler, they are shipping container loads daily of kiln dried hardwoods to Japan, Denmark, and all points out there. Probably a lot to China. I have been there when caravans of semis hauling flatbeds full of walnut logs were arriving from Iowa, and similar shipments of cherry coming in from Pennsylvania.

They have butternut, sassafras, gray elm, curly whatever, and their retail room is just a part of a huge warehouse, in which cash customers can pick out boards.