Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New GPS

New GPS

I'm looking to update my GPS and I think I've narrowed it down to the Garmin Nuvi 68 LM or the Nuvi 66 LM. The 68 is one year model newer, has Foursquare on it, and is about $40 more.

I'm ignorant....What is Foursquare and what will it do for me?

I f anyone has either of these units could you tell me what's good or better one vs the other.

Thanks
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

No help on the GPS.

Foursquare is a "local information service": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foursquare
    No idea if it would be useful to you since it depends on use (also don't know how long they'll be around since they recently pivoted from a "social" service to an "information" service).

There was a cartoon in Sunday's paper about guys walking by a camera store and wondering what was sold there.
    Same could be said about GPSs. Phone apps aren't quite as good as dedicated GPSs, but they are much more convenient and will probably be just as good next year.

I've never heard of Foursquare, but I bet Google has.

I can't say that Foursquare means anything, but we have a 65LMT and are reasonably happy with it. I'd suggest looking at the "T" in the "LMT" which is the traffic, if you travel much. It's great for looking ahead and telling you if there are traffic problems ahead, and how long of a delay it's causing. It's not perfect, but it's certainly better than not knowing.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I'm very happy with using Google maps navigation with my iPhone. It's had a couple very good updates in the past year or two that have really improved its navigating. I have mine mounted to the dash with an imagnet mount, which uses a flat metal disc i put inside the phone case to attach to magnetic mount.

If you don't have a smartphone, maybe this is a good time for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    No help on the GPS.

Foursquare is a "local information service": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foursquare
    No idea if it would be useful to you since it depends on use (also don't know how long they'll be around since they recently pivoted from a "social" service to an "information" service).
    Read some of that article and still don't understand what Foursquare would do for me while I'm on the road. Maybe it takes my likes and dislikes and applies them to a different region?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I can't say that Foursquare means anything, but we have a 65LMT and are reasonably happy with it. I'd suggest looking at the "T" in the "LMT" which is the traffic, if you travel much. It's great for looking ahead and telling you if there are traffic problems ahead, and how long of a delay it's causing. It's not perfect, but it's certainly better than not knowing.
    Does the traffic feature depend on cellular service or bluetooth capabilities?

Whatever one you get, make sure it has lifetime map updates. Having to purchase them separately can be downright expensive.
    We still use our Nuvi. I find it more convenient than using my phone.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Whatever one you get, make sure it has lifetime map updates. Having to purchase them separately can be downright expensive.
    We still use our Nuvi. I find it more convenient than using my phone.
    That's part of the reason for updating. LOML bought the last GPS for Christmas and didn't consider lifetime updates or Canada. So now our GPS takes us to Canada and we stumble our way through to New York and stumble our way back from NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Read some of that article and still don't understand what Foursquare would do for me while I'm on the road. Maybe it takes my likes and dislikes and applies them to a different region?
    Yeah and compares them to other people who liked and disliked the same things you did to try to find other things you might like. I haven't really looked at it for quite a while (not since before their business model changed and then only briefly...) so I have no idea how good it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Does the traffic feature depend on cellular service or bluetooth capabilities?
    No, it has it's own receiver for that, nothing else needed and no extra charges.

Myk, they "L" is "Lifetime", the "M" is Maps, and the "T" is traffic, so a LM is Lifetime Maps, and the LMT is Lifetime Maps and Traffic.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I'm very happy with using Google maps navigation with my iPhone. It's had a couple very good updates in the past year or two that have really improved its navigating. I have mine mounted to the dash with an imagnet mount, which uses a flat metal disc i put inside the phone case to attach to magnetic mount.

If you don't have a smartphone, maybe this is a good time for it?
    However, if you lose cell coverage, you will not be able to navigate even with a GPS chip.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

In town I use Google maps on the iPhone exclusively. The traffic information for the Boston commute is stunningly accurate, with actual times almost always +/- 2 min of the time Google predicts. At least two nights a week it routes me in an unexpected way to save 5-10 min on the drive. Google stops working when you run out of cell coverage though, and can quickly become very expensive if you're accessing the data network by roaming in other countries. For that I just added a Garmin 2559LMT that gives me both North America and Europe maps with lifetime updates. It's about my sixth garmin unit and I've been pretty happy with them, though their routing is occasionally squirrely. I just wish either system had a better database in terms of routing a commercial truck through NY and NJ without using the parkways.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    However, if you lose cell coverage, you will not be able to navigate even with a GPS chip.

If one downloaded the map area of were there likely to be ahead of time cell coverage wouldn't be necessary.

Screenshot_2015-02-26_14-50-27.png
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    If one downloaded the map area of were there likely to be ahead of time cell coverage wouldn't be necessary.
    I have a spare phone (Nokia 520, $20) and it works fine as a GPS with no cell service. You just download maps on WIFI.