Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New GPS

For anyone GPS shopping, I'd recommend looking on ebay for 'factory refurbs'. I bought a Garmin 2595LMT for about 35% less than what I could find on Amazon etc. The only way I could tell it was a factory refurb was the plain brown box. All accessories advertized were there, one year factory warranty. I wondered about the 'lifetime maps' claim. As I understand it, I can get updated maps as long as the current maps will fit on my device. If they grow beyond the available memory, my device has reached the end of its useful life as far as Garmin is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    As I understand it, I can get updated maps as long as the current maps will fit on my device. If they grow beyond the available memory, my device has reached the end of its useful life as far as Garmin is concerned.
    All the ones I have seen have a micro SD slot, so you can just pop in a micro SD card and you're all set. In fact, a family member had a stock unit, went to update the maps (1st time) and it said it couldn't update the maps because there wasn't enough room. It wouldn't even take the 1st map update without the SD card. Popped one in and they were all set. I don't think you could outgrow what's available on an SD card so that shouldn't be a concern (unless they have stopped putting the card slot on them).
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I wondered about the 'lifetime maps' claim. As I understand it, I can get updated maps as long as the current maps will fit on my device. If they grow beyond the available memory, my device has reached the end of its useful life as far as Garmin is concerned.
    Garmin's policy states you'll get lifetime maps as long as they can get them from a third party supplier.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 55LMT couple of months ago and am very happy with it. I like the voice talking to me as it is difficult at times to glance at when in a busy area.

Google has voice navigation and she's nicer sounding. I found the garmin girl to be kind of curt.

She's a made me jump once though - I was sitting in traffic (Chicago area) and out of no were she piped up and informed me that a faster route was available, would I like to take it? Really polite though.

It be nice if you could change the navigater- Marilyn Monroe, James Earl Jones... that computer voice from space Odyssey.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 02-27-2015 at 10:25 AM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    All the ones I have seen have a micro SD slot, so you can just pop in a micro SD card and you're all set..
    Which is exactly what I'm doing with mine as I type this. I needed a 4gb MicroSD card to do it. Put my 32gb card in, and it's updating now. My wife has been after me to do this for a month.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    When I bought my Nexus 7 tablet, one of the main things I wanted to do with it was use it as a GPS. I purchased the Copilot app and started using it. It has all the bells and whistles. However, it is no match for my Garmin. If you want good trouble free GPS a smart phone/tablet just can't compete with a single purpose GPS. Not even close.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

It's looking more and more like the Nuvi 68LM. Has all the latest bells and whistles, and it should get me through Canada without a hitch.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation