Thread: Translucency of Translucent stones

Translucency of Translucent stones

I recently acquired a 2 x 8 Translucent stone through Amazon ( had a gift card) via Best Sharpening Stones. One thing I notice about online listings of this kind of stone is the ability to transmit light through the stone. The white stone I received does not seem to have this ability although I do notice a bit of the translucency around its edges. I'm not complaing because the stone seems to work well although it doesn't seem a whole lot finer than the surgical black stone I have. i know that Arkansas stones will vary in color and density depending on where they are quarried. I'm just curious about this particular feature of this stone that gives it its name and if that feature is important. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.
    Last edited by Charles Bjorgen; 02-26-2015 at 1:27 PM.

I had a thread about translucent stones a while back. There is a picture of my stone in that thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...sing-oilstones

Can you calculate the density of the stone? It should be something like 2.6 for a real translucent.

Here is my crazy Ace-d and unhelpful answer based on facts hidden in there with the horse poo :
    First off I bet you remember David W. talking about how the stone improves with use and age. Not to take it to a diamond plate to make it cut faster etc.

I find to make it "finer" all one has to do is "sharpen" an A2 blade on it once.
    The stone will be so "fine" that it will remind you of a burnishing stone rather than a cutting abrasive.

The photos are of a transArk from the Best Boys. Quite translucent first photo, but it is not all that thick (see second photo). The third photo was an attempt to show how the A2 blade polished the Ark. The whole surface was like that I just couldn't get it on camera.

After that it is back to the diamond plate to get any cut back into the stone or just plan on using it to BURNISH the scratches out of the edge without taking off any more metal.

I really like my stone by the way and would never sell it. Best for non A2 blades though.
    OK I guess I am done bleating.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 02-26-2015 at 2:00 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    I had a thread about translucent stones a while back. There is a picture of my stone in that thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...sing-oilstones

Can you calculate the density of the stone? It should be something like 2.6 for a real translucent.
    How would I go about calculating the stone's density?

I measured the size very carefully in metric units (mm). Then weighted the stone on a digital scale in grams. And divided the weight by the volume.

Thanks, Kees. I may try that if I can locate the proper scale. I finally pulled out my MagLite flashlight ( can also be used as a club) and shined it through the back of the stone in my darkened shop. It did indeed glow through so I guess I was expecting more translucence than can be rightfully expected. Like so many here I've gone through all the sharpening systems. I had bought most of the Arkansas stones many years ago and just thought I'd try them again. I added the trans mainly because of the gift card.

Winton, you said your Best Boys stone. Is that the same source mine came from?

best boys
    yes I was just shortening the name.
    I hope you are pleased with your stone.
    They seem like a great company
    But
    Better is Better.

Divide weight by volumn.
    Is that all !
    I was thinking one had to use a special Arkansa well water, measure out a portion, submerge the stone in it, wait for it to absorbed as much water as it would take, take the stone out, determine how much the stone absorbed, multiply that by the sum of the numbers in your day, then consult a conversion chart but only on Thursday.

Well that's what I do but that's just me.
    But
    Better is Better.

MagLite flashlight ( can also be used as a club)
    This is my flash light
    it has a similar combat capability.
    When the would be attacker makes his all out charge and begins his war holler I toss the tiny light down his throat and he dies a horible choking death.
    Works every time.
    But
    Better is Better.

You're a riot, Winton. Thanks for replying. I enjoy your posts and was glad to see your name in this thread.