Thread: St James Bay Tools?

St James Bay Tools?

I've been thinking of getting a router plane for an eternity now, and I've had a hard time putting down the hard-earned on a new LV/LN router plane for some reason. Has anyone used planes from St James Bay tools? They have a router plane for a little less that comes with three blades ($125 altogether), so that deal might work out better and I'll be able to suck it up and splurge, but figured I'd see if anyone out there has any experiences with their tools first.

Blog Entries
    Do you prefer a new one as opposed to something picked up on ebay?

If it were to me to do this all over again, my choice would likely be the Veritas model.

As it is the blades are well priced and fit fine in my old Sargent Router Plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I would probably prefer a new one. What I've seen on ebay, for a decent looking #71 with all its bits intact, I might as well just buy new and forego any of the hassles associated with any rehab, because they tend to go for a pretty penny.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Stevens2 View Post
    I would probably prefer a new one. What I've seen on ebay, for a decent looking #71 with all its bits intact, I might as well just buy new and forego any of the hassles associated with any rehab, because they tend to go for a pretty penny.
    Easy to understand.

The St James Bay router is missing a few things that come in handy on a router plane.

1. No depth stop. This is one thing that is great about the Veritas Router plane.

2. It doesn't look like there is a way to attach a wooden sub base. This is also a handy feature on many projects.

3. There isn't a provision for a fence. This is another handy feature in many cases.

Hate to sound like an evangelist for the Veritas, but of all the offerings available it might just be the best.

In five years you will not regret having spent the money. You might regret not having spent it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I agree with all of Jim's points. I think St. J. B. Tools is good for items not available elsewhere but Veritas is your best bet for just a bit more. Better resale value too.

Blog Entries
    Actually, Lie Nielsen has a depth stop for their small router plane. I have one.

+1 on suck it up, esp. at that relatively small price difference (buy well once...). I have the LV and would have regretted anything else.

Good luck,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

It would seem that there is a consensus! Thanks for the advice guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    +1 on suck it up, esp. at that relatively small price difference (buy well once...). I have the LV and would have regretted anything else.

Good luck,
    C
    Christopher meant to say: Cry Once.

Me - I gots the large LN. I like it. But - the one fault that I have with it is that the smaller blades don't fit w/o an adapter.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Nuther ditto for the LN. Mine has paid for itself many times over and.

I bit the bullet and got the LV. Tried it out today and I'm already seeing a vast improvement in the surface of my recessed joints (in this case today, a half lap). Think I might have made the right choice.

For what it's worth, I'm very happy with my Lee Valley large router plane.

Blog Entries
    I bit the bullet and got the LV.
    If there wasn't a router plane already in my shop, the LV model would be my first choice.

As it is their blades fit fine in my Sargent #62 which has provided me with a full set of blades for mine.

jtk

The large and medium LV router planes are two of the most used planes in my mostly hand tool shop. You will be pleased.
    Paul

I've owned Stanley router planes and the LV router plane. The LV is very nice but the Stanley works fine. The problem with getting a Stanley is finding one complete and in good condition.

I've never regretted buying the LV.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.