Thread: Chisel junkie. I want a set of 750s

Chisel junkie. I want a set of 750s

I have an obsession with nice socket chisels. I buy them constantly at flea markets and such. Anyway, I bought a big lot of tools last week from an auction. It had 2 awesome stanley 750 chisels, well after playing with them a little, I decided I wanna get a nice set of them. What should I be looking to pay for a nice complete set of 750s.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Beagle View Post
    I have an obsession with nice socket chisels. I buy them constantly at flea markets and such. Anyway, I bought a big lot of tools last week from an auction. It had 2 awesome stanley 750 chisels, well after playing with them a little, I decided I wanna get a nice set of them. What should I be looking to pay for a nice complete set of 750s.
    What do you mean by a set (how many pieces?)

A typical 6-piece set in nice, original shape usually fetches $250-350

I think you'll find that you're better off piecing a set together.
    Last edited by Joe Bailey; 02-26-2015 at 5:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    When ever my 750s were placed on ebay they tended to top out at $20. Just make sure it has the 750 mark. Many people list unmarked Stanley chisels as being 750s.

There may actually be one 1/2" size in my chisel pile.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I have 750's that I bought over time. They are nice chisels and I like them.

However, (there's often a "however") - The metallurgy on my collection is not consistent. The handle design is not consistent. The length of various chisels is different. My chisel roll has mostly Lie Nielsen chisels in it. I prefer the Lie Nielsen bevel edged chisels. I will say that The corners on the LN chisels were so pronounced, I took a file to them to break the corners and make the chisel more comfortable to use.

I have no intention of disposing of my 750's and 720's.

If you can find a matched set of 750's, I would say go for it. If it's a rag-tag collection like mine, you might want to go for the LN's.

What about the new sweetheart 750 that stanley is selling?

i just got a set the other day for a steal. I have not had a chance to do anything with them.
    Last edited by Corey Filkins; 02-28-2015 at 10:04 AM.

I think the new Stanley 750s are getting pretty good reviews. So that may be an option.

I have the LN set and really like then. Purchased the LV PM-V11 set but will likely still keep the LNs as they are so nice in the hand.

Sam if you go to zoro . Com (no affiliation) you'll find the four piece set Stanley sweetheart 97.79 eight piece set is 167.24
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Zoro tools is grainger's other online site for all types of users unlike Grainger that is commercial only customers. That is where I got mine. Got the 8 piece set.

If you go to retailmenot.com you can find online coupons for them. I got 20% off on mine.
    Last edited by Corey Filkins; 02-28-2015 at 1:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Filkins View Post
    If you go to retailmenot.com you can find online coupons for them. I got 20% off on mine.
    Darn! I didn't know that! I just bought the 8 piece set from Zoro Tools as well! $181 with tax, came in two days, three days sooner then they said it would. I didn't know that Zoro was Grainger! I buy from Grainger all the time at work. Anyway, very happy with my dealings with Zoro! (but I would of been 20% happier had I known about the coupon :-) )

10. I have been enjoying my new Stanley Sweethearts, the only real downside is how long it takes to flatten the backs. If you value your time the LNs might be worth it.

I had heard a lot about old chisels and how good they were. A friend had a set of Whiterby chisels and swore they were the best. So I went on a long term (several years) hunting project and eventually bought, a piece at a time, a set of Whiterby's and a set of Swan's. All the Swan's are marked "Best Cast Steel" or "Best Tool Steel". Many were bought with damaged handles, or without handles, so I made new handles for all of them. After using them, my opinion is that they are just okay. They do not hold an edge as well as modern chisels. They are fairly easy to sharpen but the preparation was a bear - our ancestors apparently never flattened the backs of their chisels.

This falls into the area of personal preference but the chisels are fairly long - a bit longer than I like them.

I also have a set of Japanese chisels (I put western handles on them), a set of LN A2 chisels and a set of the LV PM-V11 chisels. I much prefer any of them to the antique ones.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have collected and sold two sets of Bergs, two sets of Witherbys ... all pieced together one at a time. I never found the steel all it was cracked up to be. I have a set of Stanley 750s that I have, again, pieced together over the years. I like them. They do not hold an edge as long as Veritas or Koyamaichi or even Blue Spruce, but they are easy to hone and .. well .. they are modified and personal now. Made new handles and ground the lands tiny ...

1/8" through 1 1/4" ...

If collecting, look for full length blades. Ignore the handles - you can make your own and these are cheaper. It does not have to say "750" on them! Many of the later 750 chisels did not have this stamp.The steel is the same.

Regards from Perth

Derek