Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patsy Cline Anyone?

Patsy Cline Anyone?

When not in 60s-70s classic rock, my fave shop music is Patsy. Her voice really matured the last few years. Such a tragedy that she is gone.

Karen Carpenter also had the effortless range and depth that Patsy had.

There are many others, I'm sure.

It is a shame that most singers these days feel obliged to scream. My wife watches The Voice, et al and I continually complain about singers trying to do something (via screaming) that they are simply not able to do.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Ella Fitzgerald wouldn't have made it out of the first round on these shows.
    They're predicated on the same premise that made Sade a 90's hit -
    find someone that looks like they could sing and clean up the mess in post production.

The real talent isn't up front, it's in the session room.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    find someone that looks like they could sing and clean up the mess in post production.

Patsy and Ella, cue-up the Spotify!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post

I havent given Ella a listen to really appreciate her-didnt she have the Memorex commercial?
    Session? U mean dubbing and editing/producing?
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    I havent given Ella a listen to really appreciate her-didnt she have the Memorex commercial?
    Session? U mean dubbing and editing/producing?
    Yeah pretty much. They auto-tune a ton these days, I imagine most pop stars are tuned. And even their live performances.

And if they can't get close (in the studio), they bring in a ringer to sing it for them!
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 02-26-2015 at 6:55 PM.

I agree. Can't stand the shrieking. I can't say how much is lack of talent and how much is just desire to shriek. There are
    few attempts to modulate voices. Yeah, Ella really excelled at modulation and control we especially like her Cole Porter
    double album.

....and there is the voice of Roy Orbison......... Jay and the Americans........ I loved the vocal harmonies that came about in the 60's.... female and male vocal harmonies.......

I miss those vocal harmonies.......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have 78 songs by Ella on my iPod. Some of the earliest stuff when she was just 16.

Funny to hear her sing 'He done me wrong' songs at that age but my favorite by far is "When I Get Low, I Get High"

Get the old stuff from the 40's- fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    ....and there is the voice of Roy Orbison.........
    The Voice.

That's what the other guys in the Traveling Wilburys called him.

Leann Rhymes first album was really good, then w second one the shrieking started. Seems like folks start shrieking after debut album
    i heard a lady on a album of old time hymns that was pretty close to shrieking, but she gets away w it. "Various artists"-a compilation of hymns. I ve tried and tried to find out who the various performers were. No luck. Album is from early 80s
    If u like old style hymns its called Hymn Classics Vol I on Amazon. I just went there and its not there now. Oh, well
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I agree. Can't stand the shrieking. I can't say how much is lack of talent and how much is just desire to shriek. There are
    few attempts to modulate voices. Yeah, Ella really excelled at modulation and control we especially like her Cole Porter
    double album.
    There are, undoubtedly, contemporary performers doing material I enjoy, and doing it well. Example:

But this last Christmas I was given a subscription to Spotify and I'm really loving the access to the catalogs of the true masters. The likes if Fitzgerald, Clooney, Mitchell, etc.

BTW, young people exposed to these classics often want to know more about them. Encouraging.

What's really interesting is that a lot of those were recorded in one take as the technology of the day allowed.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Some of the old singers sure had faces and voices for radio. Those days are gone.

Blog Entries
    I'd say my favorite female singer is Linda Ronstadt. It's a shame she now has Parkinson's disease and can't sing anymore. A beautiful and powerful voice.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    I'd say my favorite female singer is Linda Ronstadt. It's a shame she now has Parkinson's disease and can't sing anymore. A beautiful and powerful voice.

PHM
    thats is a shame. She has always been a favorite
    David