Thread: Spalted Oak HF

Spalted Oak HF

This HF is from a highly splatted piece of oak that came from an oak tree that was destroyed by the 2013 tornado in Joplin MO. It is 11 ¾”W x 5 ½”H. There is a lot of different character in this piece of wood. This piece was turned end grain. Along with the spalting, it has some bug holes, it had a limb cap and also some bark inclusions. I have purposely left everything natural and unfilled. Once I turned the outside of the form I reverse chucked it and wrapped it in shrink-wrap to make sure it stayed together. Because of the “spaltiness” of the wood, the wall thickness is not consistent from the sides down to the bottom. At this point I have only dipped it (twice) in my blend of oils. I like the way of the different characteristics of the wood appear with just the oil finish and am not planning on buffing it. I have attached several pictures so you can get a good look at the wood. C&C welcomed.

IMG_6601.jpg IMG_6602.jpg IMG_6604.jpg IMG_6605.jpg

Nice looking piece Steve. Glad it held together, looks a little scary. Good choice of finish for this rugged looking form.

+1 on the scary looking....I like it a lot

Very nice shape, was it wet or twice turned?

+2 on scary but with very nice results. I wouldn't have guessed that was almost 12" in diameter by the pictures. How big is your access hole? Any plans for a finial?

Very pleasing form and I like all the natural voids and such.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Thanks for the comments everyone. The real scary part was having to deal with the different density in the wood as I was hollowing.

Dennis--the wood overall was pretty dry. Thus, I only turned it once.

David--the opening is 2 1/4" wide. I have no plans for a finial as I think it would not complement its natural rugged look.

Very nicely done.

I really like the form! The wood sure has a lot of character. I agree with using an oil finish on this piece. A gloss just wouldn't fit as well with the rustic qualities.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

sometimes less is more. i agree with Steve..it is perfect as is..rustic
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe