Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sjobergs Benches

Sjobergs Benches

Do any of you have a Sjoberg bench? I saw one at a good deal on close out and was wondering if they are any good. They look like decent made products.

Rich, I have the older 8' model with the tail vise. Bought it on close out from local Woodcraft store when newer end vise was being shipped with updated model. Mine was also a floor model that was mainly used as a table to display items. Actually was like new and I think I paid maybe $800 about 5 years ago. Bottom line I'm real satisfied with the bench. I made 2 upgrades (1) added additional dog holes to the vises and corresponding dog holes to the table. Also added a Kreag plate recessed in the top for their vise grip-like clamp. (2) I took the legs off and mounted the table on a pneumatic scissors lift with foot control. Pricey, but worth it to me. I use it all the time. Regards, Bob.
    Last edited by Bob Michaels; 02-26-2015 at 10:50 PM.

Rich,
    I have the duo model, I believe. You can move the two vices to either end or left and right. I went with this because I am left handed. It is a very good bench, but I built a cabinet with drawers for underneath for both added weight and storage. It serves me well, very stable and solid for hand tool use and just about anything I do. Maybe someday I will build my own to improve on it and better suit my needs, but honestly it would be a wast of time and money for what I do because about the only things I would change would be to make it a little wider and a heavier base. It is still just as solid as the day I bought it, going on 8 years now.

The Elite is a very good, solid bench. The Duo is not very heavy duty and probably not appropriate for doing serious hand tool work, though it may be fine for a general bench and some light hand tool work (maybe chopping out some dovetails, assuming you do it over the legs). I doubt you'd be able to flatten a 12" wide oak board, for example. It would just wiggle and move all over the place.

The bench on close-out is the Scandi model. It has the 3/4" holes in the vises and corresponding holes in the bench. According the the Sjoberg website it has a 1.5" main thickness were the "lesser" model only has a 1" main thickness. I perform limited hand tool work so this might be a good starter bench for learning what is needed when making one. Someone would likely purchase it used at any rate if it doesn't fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post
    Rich, I have the older 8' model with the tail vise. Bought it on close out from local Woodcraft store when newer end vise was being shipped with updated model. Mine was also a floor model that was mainly used as a table to display items. Actually was like new and I think I paid maybe $800 about 5 years ago. Bottom line I'm real satisfied with the bench. I made 2 upgrades (1) added additional dog holes to the vises and corresponding dog holes to the table. Also added a Kreag plate recessed in the top for their vise grip-like clamp. (2) I took the legs off and mounted the table on a pneumatic scissors lift with foot control. Pricey, but worth it to me. I use it all the time. Regards, Bob.
    Bob,
    I'm very curious to see a few pictures of your work bench. I have been purging my shop of unused items, two of the items have been work benches that I use for stacking unfinished work. Amazing how much room you can regain after rearranging and giving unused items away. My friend and i were talking about a work bench that Rangate sells. The company escapes me but it's over the top but the idea of a air assisted/vacuum bench/table is pretty cool. It sells for $7000.00, yes that is 4 zeros. I've always wanted a lower bench for assembly work like cabinets. A bench as you describe sounds very useful.
    If you have the time please post a picture or two of your bench

thank you
    Ben

I have an Elite Sjobergs bench with the cupboard, so can't speak about the Scandi model in discussion here. It's my first workbench, so take this with a grain of salt. Most importantly, it is solid and heavy. The top is flat and thick. However, I think the legs are slightly undersized for the top, at least on this Elite bench. My cupboard was not built very precisely. I had to re-drill screw pilot holes and re-sized the drawers' box to fix a binding problem. I were also disappointed to find out that the whole bench was not completely oiled. Sjobergs only oiled the top's upper and side surfaces, leaving everything else bare.

I think the Sjobergs benches would likely need some work once delivered, but the Elite is a good bench where it counts. I like mine. It doesn't move while I plane boards. Once properly set up, it's a very nice piece of shop furniture. Too nice even!

I bought mine from woodcraft about 15 years ago. Not sure what it was called then, but I got the one with a 3in thick top. Very similar to the what they now call the Elite. Its an awesome bench. Glad I bought it back then because now its 2500 bucks.

I'm not sure the model but here is the one I have. I feel it's solid and flat enough. Of course twice the size and so heavy it needs a forklift to move would be better, but....I don't know the model but the dimensions are about 2' deep and 6' long. The top is 4"'thick around the edges but the middle area is 3.5". The vises are smooth and hold secure.

image.jpg

Jebediah,

I see your telephone conveniently located near the bench. Do you sit on that stool or stand when using it?

Haha. That phone works better then my cell phone! I stand at the bench. The stool is for a higher bench to the left. Or if I decide to escape to the basement I have a place to sit. I got that from my grandfathers woodshop. I have a picture nailing a board together at like 5 or so on that stool. He's now 98 and still going strong, just not woodworking. Downsized years ago.

In that picture I was trying to get a straight edge on that long board. Didn't go so well. But it was just trim on top of a knee wall so it didn't matter anyhow. That leg vise was sent to me by another creeker, sure does come in handy.

Sure, Ben. I'll be out of town for the weekend but will post photos Sunday night or Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    The Elite is a very good, solid bench. The Duo is not very heavy duty and probably not appropriate for doing serious hand tool work, though it may be fine for a general bench and some light hand tool work (maybe chopping out some dovetails, assuming you do it over the legs). I doubt you'd be able to flatten a 12" wide oak board, for example. It would just wiggle and move all over the place.
    The Duo is not as heavy duty as the Elite. I'm assuming the top is not as thick and the base is not as beefy. I built a cabinet for my planes, chisels and other tools underneath which did add weight to it. I saved a lot of money and modified it to suit my needs. Those cabinets they sell are too expensive and I would rather spend my money on other tools. I have and can chopped dovetails, and flattened oak, cherry and maple with no problems. The bench doesn't move or wiggle in any way when I complete these tasks, but it is due to the added weight underneath. Like I said, the base is lighter than other benches, but you could just add a thicker base and you might save a lot of money, it gives you another option to consider. Otherwise, the top is very good for my needs. Building a bench may be more cost effective, depends on the materials etc... I may do that someday, but like I said in another post, other than the width and a heavier base it's a pretty good bench.

I have the smallest model, I think they call it a hobby table - about 28" x 48". I got it at a great price, and been very happy with it. I wasn't sure the trestle legs were sturdy enough to resist movement, but they have been.

I have one, an Elite. Solid, but having the 1" dog holes is monumentally stupid on their part. Only accessories I could find are 1 clamp they sell.

in fact this morning I was looking into bushings to reduce a 1" hole to 3/4" to make them useful.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.