Thread: Power Carvers / Which One?

Power Carvers / Which One?

I am considering trying my hand at power carving in wood and in my review of different equipment it seems that the Foredom 1/3HP TX and the ½ hp Mastercarver Pro flex-shaft get good reviews in the flex shaft units. Also in the air driven systems the Turbo Carver or the SCM 400xs seem to get good reviews as well. I am looking for recommendations of what I should use or get as I have never done any power carving. I have done a couple of chip carvings and one relief carving by hand. Basically I am new to this and I don’t mind spending the money on the tools but I hate to spend money on the wrong ones (or even used if anyone has something). Any help on the right tools (including the burs) would be appreciated.

Also are there any DVD’s out there that anyone would recommend to help me in the learning process? Or even a class in the Mid Michigan area. As I have look at a lot on U-Tube but being I haven’t tried it one can get the wrong information sometimes from some of those videos as in what is really the right way to start?

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Richard, I've had a Foredom for at least 34 years and it's still going strong. I also have several angle grinders with assorted wheels and cutters. I have found that you can remove more wood faster with more control with traditional carving gouges and a mallet once you learn to sharpen them. About the only thing I still use the Foredom for is certain texturing like hair or fur. When I first started carving I did almost everything with power over the years less and less, but that may be just me lot of people just use power.

I would add to what Tom said that if you are looking to use actual carving tools (as opposed to grinding) but want to lessen the impact on your body you may want to look into the Automach carver. It takes a variety of chisels, gouges and v-tools and is easily controlled, though a bit noisy.

Thanks for the tips. I do want to stick to power carving as I have done one relief carving before and don’t really want to go that wrought again.

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

In that case, unless the new ones have gone down hill, I don't think you can loose with the Foredom. In the same time I've had mine I have gone through several Dremel type tools. I have also used pneumatic dye grinders with success but they are loud.

Thanks Tom, I know the Foredom’s get good reviews from every one and it seems that they have a few more accessories available as well and a lot of the aftermarket manufactures have add on’s to use with their equipment also.
    Last edited by richard poitras; 03-01-2015 at 5:13 PM.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I bought the arbortech to do a job with massive corbels and found it quite good for heavy rough cutting of the carving type. I've used a similar product to their pro-4 cutter to do perlimanry cope on massive maple crown moldings.

http://www.arbortechusa.com/view/woo.../power-chisel/
    but caveat...when they say there is an assortment of tools available, maybe not.....

http://www.arbortechusa.com/view/woo...o4-woodcarver/

Although I've not a frequent or proficient carver, I do have several foredoms around the shop, and I although I know folks use them for carving, I found hand tool work for the finishing suited me fine, but maybe that's my own ignorance at play. I doubt that they could deliver the power, they are all after all, really small motors. The Arbortech gets hot enuf, and requires keen edges just the same.

Just my thoughts

Eric in Calgary