Thread: Miter Saw Box surface

Miter Saw Box surface

I recently acquired a Millers Falls Langdon Acme Miter Saw Box 74. What a great upgrade from my Stanley 150. I replace the wooden surface on the 150 from time to time. But the #74's horizontal face is a textured, steel surface. It's like evenly spaced pin pricks. I presume they are original, intended to keep the work-piece from sliding around. Yet, I'm concerned about the steel pricks marring work pieces. I could cover that with wood. It would require slots for the work-holders.

Question: Does it work well to add a piece of wood to the horizontal face, or is the textured steel the way to go? Do you use other surface materials?

Thanks.

I have the same surface on mine, and have been using it as-is. (I did repaint it.) But, I'm always eyeing it, wondering if I'm going to get that pinprick pattern on my stock. I haven't experienced it so far. Let's see what others say....

Did yours come with all the pieces intact? Mine is missing a couple of the odds and ends, but the necessary parts are all there, and it is nice to use.

Perhaps you have seen this, but I found the below article to be very helpful for tweaking the angle adjustment, so that the sawblade will be square.

https://sites.google.com/site/langdo.../home/fettling

John, Thanks for the link. Good stuff there. Happily, mine has all the pieces and parts. It needed cleaning, but that was mostly cosmetic. The saw was duller than any saw I have every seen. It sharpened up fine. The cuts are dead on 90 degrees both vertically and horizontally. Don't know about the angles yet. I'm glad to hear that you do not have complaints bout the textured surface. Thanks for the feedback and the great information link. Bill

I use mine, as is.

I prefer to apply an F clamp with stop block to hold the stock down,
    rather than pinch it against the back fence. I want it to maintain position.