Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on a Yost vise

Opinion on a Yost vise

Hey, everyone. I've run across a vise that looks interesting to put on the basic bench I want to build (old countertop). My setup will hopefully be somewhat temporary, and once we're out of an apartment I plan to build a solid bench to work on.

Any opinions on the 6.5" Yost Hobby Woodworking Vise? I couldn't really find any reviews on it.

I'd probably use it to start practicing skills like planing and dovetails on smaller/narrower pieces or scraps. I'm still pretty new to using hand tools, let alone woodworking in general. But wanted to get an idea if this was decent for the money, or if I should just avoid it and get something more useful.

Blog Entries
    It may be a fine vise. My own preference is for a vise with wooden jaws, no metal that may come in contact with a plane.

Of course if an Emmert Pattern Makers vise, or its equivalent were to come my way my mind would likely be changed.

There also isn't any provision for a dog on the vise in the picture.

To just have a vise it might work fine to start and later could be set up as a special purpose vise for saw sharpening or something.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It may be a fine vise. My own preference is for a vise with wooden jaws, no metal that may come in contact with a plane.

Of course if an Emmert Pattern Makers vise, or its equivalent were to come my way my mind would likely be changed.

There also isn't any provision for a dog on the vise in the picture.

To just have a vise it might work fine to start and later could be set up as a special purpose vise for saw sharpening or something.

jtk
    You add your own wooden jaws. Most vises are sold this way.
    You're right Jim, there's no provision for a dog or no quick release, but I survived for years with a similar record vise. It'll work fine.

I have one of those with a different name but similar specs and looks. The only thing to think about is that from the picture provided, it would appear that the vise is designed to be mounted on top of the bench rather then below. I may be wrong though as it's difficult to see properly.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gillard View Post
    You're right Jim, there's no provision for a dog or no quick release, but I survived for years with a similar record vise. It'll work fine.
    You could make a dog in the wooden jaw you add.

IMAG1742.jpg IMAG1741.jpg

It's not likely the same situation you have but I'm sure you could make something work.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Blog Entries
    I have a similar vise on a secondary bench. I've had it for 15-20 years. I put wooden jaws in it. I still use it for various tasks.
    Go for it, you will find a second life for it as time goes on.

Great! Thanks, everyone. It's inexpensive enough that I think it's worth trying out. Like a few have said, I can probably find other uses for it. In fact, the suggestion of using it to hold a saw for sharpening is perfect, since I want to start learning that skill, as well. Looks like it's headed for the shopping cart!

EDIT: Sweet! Found that the Amazon page for this same vise has a 15% off coupon.
    Last edited by Eric Schubert; 02-27-2015 at 10:35 AM.

I have one nearly identical, but labeled "Jorgensen". Got it about a dozen years ago and it is on a secondary bench and simply holds a cased Washita stone. The vise is best described as "lightweight", but it does have uses. If it were me, I would save the money and apply to a heavier duty vise, if your intent is to use as a primary tool.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I certainly agree a better vise is good in the long run. But since I don't have room to set up a more permanent workspace, I think this should do just fine in getting me started with the basics, until I have the room to set up a proper bench. When I build a true bench, I plan to incorporate solid, quality face and tail vises. So, this is just temporary to get me started until then.

A critical issue with woodworking vises is that the top of the jaws should close just a bit before the rest of the jaws. This will cause them to clamp firmly as the inevitable play in the vise mechanism is taken up. Lightly built vises like that one may not close well. The fix is to taper your wooden jaw liners top to bottom.

11. I would rather have one that had a quick release on it. I use that feature every time I use the vise.

You can add a wood chop and dog also if desired.

https://carlswoodworking.files.wordp...lworkbench.png
    Last edited by Bob Snyder - Austin; 02-27-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Looks pretty good to get going on.
    I built my Klausz bench with a very similar though much larger vise see the photo.
    When I bought that vise I was still drunk with the visions of cabinet saws, eight inch jointers and router tables (if not a small shaper lurking around the back door of my imagination causing trouble).
    and I thought the vise shown was the end all and be all of woodworking vises. When I started a new job, with the first paycheck I went over and bought the record vise to start a new era in the story of The Winston. I was sooooo thrilled to finally have that vise . . . now if I only had something to bolt it to I thought. A decade earlier I had bought that vise for a girl friend for a birthday present and secretly thought one day I might get one for my self; even learn what rip and cross cut meant.

In other words I didn’t have a clue but I had a pile of catalogs.
    Very dangerous for the bank account as well as the domestic peace talks.

Long story short (like if THAT ever really happens in one of my posts) by the time I had built the Klausz I was forced to really learn something about real, fine, woodworking :

• For one off parts/projects hand tools can be as fast or faster
    • Hand tools are more satisfying (unless one is running a small (or large) log mill that would be pretty satisfying.
    • Moving is easier with hand tools

you get the idea . . . so I just stopped even looking at all that heavy iron . . . ok I still go over and pet a nice cabinet saw when I see one but . . .
    in the hand tool process I discovered the rails in the way vises . . . have these rails . . . and they are in the way along with that big screw.

Who thought THIS was a good idea ?
    Nah Dude, Nah

I am posting an addition you might want to make to your temporary work bench. See my second photo. It can’t really replace the vise you posted but can be handy for holding longer components vertically.

So I would go for that vise you show
    or
    buy a used Record like mine if you can find one. Things have changed a whole lot since I bought that and I think it is a little hard to find one of that quality. I paid a bit less than four hundred dollars for it twenty years ago so makes your vise look pretty attractive price wise. I am just giving you an idea of what they went for back in the nineties.

Bottom line : for the money it is decent/worth a try.
    You could even buy two and put one side ways for holding long boards vertically. Put some kind of clean lube on the threads; maybe some baby oil. That makes cheep threads like that work soooo much better. Or candle wax if you have the patience to melt some on. It is probably under sized to hold longer boards for planing but you can clamp a stop to the top or your bench for that or make a bench slave to hold up the other end.
    When you build your real bench you won't miss the small chunk of change unlike my major investment in what is now work shop jewelry.

Keep in mind the Japanese guys don't use
    vises they prop up the work on a little low saw horse put their foot on it and make some of the finest temples on the planet. Or they take a log, plane one side flat, stick the end against a stake and the other up on a taller horse and plane the heck out of every thing including fine shoji screens for the palaces.

Soooooo if you are young and flexible . . . who is needing a vise ? Let alone a work bench ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 02-27-2015 at 12:32 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Yost makes fine vises,but that one is a cheap hobby vise. You get what you pay for. I think a much better vise is a Taiwan copy of a Record vise like Woodcraft sells. It is MUCH more substantial,and is quick release. I have had one for many years,and it is fine. I think I paid $57.00 for it. They likely cost more now,but will be infinitely better than that little Yost vise.

My vise is similar to the blue one just above.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I know this. My preference if for a vise like Judson posted. I am clumsy enough I do not want anything of metal anywhere close to where a plane will be used.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Winston, thanks for taking time to share your experiences. I don't mind the long posts at all!

I also appreciate the thoughts on making sure the jaws close at the top first, so I'll try to make sure I watch for that.

George, were you referring to the Groz vises that Woodcraft sells?

I did pick one of these vises up, so we'll see how it goes. Again, it's just a temporary solution. I'll try and post an update or review once I try it out.