Thread: Powermatic planer dust collection problem

Powermatic planer dust collection problem

I am working on a 20 inch Powermatic 290HH planer about 7 years old. I am getting chips falling down onto the feed table while in use. I have messed with the plastic chip cutter. I am starting to think it is a suction volume problem. Recently rotated the cutters (132) and cleaned and adjusted the rollers. Feed and cuts are nice but the chips not being extracted in an issue. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Kevin
    Last edited by kevin nee; 02-27-2015 at 9:46 AM. Reason: Spelling

I have a big Northfield planer and similar issues. My first assumption was I did not have enought CFM from my DC (2 hp with 4" hose and around 900cfm when bag new). The issue was resolved by adjusting the chip breaker/deflector (thanks to the great folks at Northfield). Thats' where I'd first look.

I have a 18" Wedge Bed Delta planer and needed 6" duct.

On the Grizzly planers (pretty much the same design), there's a foam seal on the cover over the cutter head that interferes with chip ejection. No idea if the PM is the same or not, but since they all come from the same plant in China, it's a good bet.

In any case, the foam is too wide along the back edge where the chips exit and it causes them to bunch up and eventually fall back down onto the board, getting squished by the outfeed roller. If you look at the foam, you should see that it's pretty dirty along that back edge from all the chips hitting it. Cut out that section of foam or cut it in half lengthwise so that it doesn't interfere with the chips and your problem is solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    On the Grizzly planers (pretty much the same design), there's a foam seal on the cover over the cutter head that interferes with chip ejection. No idea if the PM is the same or not, but since they all come from the same plant in China, it's a good bet.

In any case, the foam is too wide along the back edge where the chips exit and it causes them to bunch up and eventually fall back down onto the board, getting squished by the outfeed roller. If you look at the foam, you should see that it's pretty dirty along that back edge from all the chips hitting it. Cut out that section of foam or cut it in half lengthwise so that it doesn't interfere with the chips and your problem is solved.

That's what I did and it sure did help out with the chips falling back on the planed piece of wood. I'm using a SDD, HFDC with Wynn filter. So with that said, it should help by trimming some foam back.
    If you don't have time to do it right the first time, then when are you going to find the time to do it right the second time?

After reading on the creek about the foam strip, I removed it from the hood on my 15" planer when I first received it, and the chip collection is excellent, no need to change the original 4" dust port. My planer collects better than my unisaw.

Hi Kevin. This is without doubt a suction volume problem as you suspect. You don't say what extractor and duct size you have but I'd guess you have 2HP or less and/or 4" ducting.

i used to have a small fan pulling through 4" ducting and always had some chips landing on the table. Problem was solved by upsizing my extractor and modifying my planer dust port to 6".

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Campbell View Post
    Hi Kevin. This is without doubt a suction volume problem as you suspect. You don't say what extractor and duct size you have but I'd guess you have 2HP or less and/or 4" ducting.
    Just about all comments talk about fixing the problem and continuing to use a 2HP DC or less. Why do you feel you should make a statement that leaves no room for any other solution? You say your solution solved your problem. Very good. Your inference is that the statements by the others of how they solved the issue cannot be true.

Thanks for all the responses. Today I took the foam completely out,the planer works great
    I rotated the cutters,adjusted the rollers and it feeds and cuts perfect. The Powermatic 209HH
    has been a fabulous machine. Thanks again. Kevin

Makes me wonder, does this manufacturer not test this machine for dust collection? They could save a few pennies by not installing that foam strip, and it would perform better.