Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domino DF500 vs DF700

Domino DF500 vs DF700

I just upgraded my Domino from the DF500 to the DF700. This post takes nothing away from the DF500. I loved it and it worked wonderfully on small as well as larger items that required tenons up to about 3/8" thick.

There are a lot of debates here about which machine is more appropriate and the consensus is that unless you are doing doors and tables, the DF500 is a more appropriate choice. I disagree with this assessment.

- The DF700 is not significantly heavier than the DF500. That is, it's comfortable and stable to use even on skinny stock. I was surprised to find this.

- The D style handle is easier for me to use on the 700 than the 500. Gripping the barrel of the 500 near the plug worked fine, but when I felt the D handle of the 700, I realize how great it is. Anyone who has used a Domino knows that keeping it plunging straight and true takes a little concentration and control on end grain cuts. The 700 makes it easier than the 500, IMHO.

- The 700 has a height offset up to 50mm. This was probably the biggest sticking point with me on the 500. The 500 can go higher if you remove the dovetailed plugs, but the 700 enables this greater offset out of the box.

- The plunge depth adjuster is better designed and more intuitive IMHO on the bigger unit. On more than one occasion I over plunged my df500 because of that switch.

- Instead of 2 pins on the fence, there are 6, and they lock out of the way in any pattern you wish. This makes repeated offsets extremely customizable. In fact, this enables the machine to be used to make longer stopped slots for splines. I know there are other ways to skin this cat, but this eliminates having to set up another machine.

- Here's the big kicker. I purchased a small bit adapter from Seneca (the guys who make the Domiplate). This allows you to use the 500 cutters. So, cutting mortises at 5mm or 6mm width is still entirely doable.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 02-27-2015 at 9:47 AM.

I'm with you all the way on this. I like the XL better in every way, only reason I can think to buy the smaller one at this point is cost....and maybe that small parts jig if you do a lot of 1" rails, but you could probably fashion something for the XL to a accomplish that? Or do they actually have a small parts centering jig for the 700? Anyway +1 for the 700.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Paul Marcel did a very good comparison between 500 and 700, http://www.halfinchshy.com/search/la...28Domizilla%29.

I agree with this as well. I currently have both - thought I'd sell the DF500 but just haven't gotten around to enough smaller stuff lately to say for sure.

The XL is certainly more ergonomic despite the weight. I really enjoy using the 500 with the Domiplate though, and the Domiplate for the 700 is not quite as simple to use.

We have both at work and they work well at the scale each one is designed for. I will say that the 500 has an advantage in making t-joints for casework in thinner materials- using the 700 for say 3/4" stock would require using an offset because of the cutter height from the baseplate. If I were to choose just one for frame joinery it would be the 700 with an adapter for smaller cutters, but for normal scale casework the 500 would be preferable.

I've never used a 700 but I'd sure be curious to try one for a day. I have done everything under the sun with the 500 and I haven't longed for the ability to do larger tenons/mortises. In fact, I rejoiced when they came out with the 4 mm cutter/dominos as I use that one quite a bit. The 4 and 5 mm are my go-to bits. I rarely use the larger ones. The 5 mm is perfect for 3/4" stock (plywood and hardwood) and the 4 mm is equally nice for 1/2" stock. I may have to look into this Domiplate. For 3/4" stock, I often use the bottom of the 500 as my reference as it is 10.5 mm to cutter center and that works just fine IMO.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris-
    This was an impulse upgrade for me. You're probably right. But it tastes so good. Come on, Brother! Drink some more Kool Aid. I know you're a Greenie. Jump in and help me justify my splurge!!!!

Prashun,

Honestly, I just can't see a need to 'upgrade' to the 700. The 500 does so much for me. It does so much that I probably could sell enough tools and have money to get the 700! You know, it HAS been a while since I bought a new Festool tool. All purchases have been for replacement parts, wear items, router bit here and there (needed a 3 mm bit, for example), etc. In fact, the Domino may have been my last purchase and that was many many moons ago. I stared at the Kapex but that 10% just wasn't enough. I look at the routers all the time but then again, I have about 5 already of PC and Bosch variety and they all work great save for lousy dust collection but I just haven't pulled the Green router trigger. So sorry, Buddy, you're on your own!

I would have to disagree that the 700 is easier to use than the 500. I had the 700 for a few weeks and I just couldnt get as good as accuracy as i could with the 500. The weight IS a big factor, hold the 700 by the fence and look at the machine at eye level and it clearly droops down, now you can adjust the fence for this but it will be off if you hold the domino differently. Using the adapter is also finicky as i had a couple mortises that were oversized when using the 700 (this was with the exact same 5mm bit that i used on my 500). I was so frustrated with the adjustments and the weight of the machine I just returned the 700 within the 30 day trial period. I really wanted to like the 700 so that i could have one machine to do it all but it just didnt work out that way for me. To anyone wondering what they should buy i usually say get the 500 because that will handle the majority of jobs unless you know for sure you are going to be building doors all the time or really only want it for the big stuff then get the 700.

Thanks for that little review, Prashun. A Domino is the one Festool tool that I still want and don't have yet. That's very useful information!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Prashun, I am in your camp with the 700 Domino. My accuracy improved significantly after buying the 700, I believe primarily because of it's weight and slightly different marking and indexing system. It is quite a bit heavier but for me that made it more stable. There were many jobs using my 500 where I was slightly off and all I can attribute that too was the light weight off the smaller 500. I do however consider both machines to be fantastic as they immensely improved my case, drawer, picture frame and overall furniture construction results. With hindsight, the 700 would have been my only purchase but the 500 does come in handy for smaller joining. I can see where the 700 could be considered too unwieldy due to its size and weight but it has proved itself for me.

I completely understand how people think the DF700 is bulky. However, I never found the DF500 NOT bulky. Both are tricky to line up on skinnier stock. The close spacing of the pins on the DF700 really helps though.

I'm completing a project now using 12mm tenons. One nice thing I notice is that cutting wider tenons on the table saw (if you prefer making them yourself) is easier and feels safer with wider stock. They're just easier to work with all around. As a result, I find I make them more precisely than the smaller ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I completely understand how people think the DF700 is bulky. However, I never found the DF500 NOT bulky. Both are tricky to line up on skinnier stock. The close spacing of the pins on the DF700 really helps though.

I'm completing a project now using 12mm tenons. One nice thing I notice is that cutting wider tenons on the table saw (if you prefer making them yourself) is easier and feels safer with wider stock. They're just easier to work with all around. As a result, I find I make them more precisely than the smaller ones.
    Prashun, are you rounding the edges of your tenon or just using straight stock? I've experimented with round edges but it's a little hairy at the router table.

On the tenons bigger than 10mm i roundover the edges. On 8mm and smaller i just bevel at 45 on the tablesaw.

I wonder how many use the Domino tenons versus making their own? I have made my own floating tenons in the past for a cedar gate and did cut the mortises with the Domino but I think that was the only time.