Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dado Shims

Dado Shims

Used my dado blade the other day while making a new circle cutting jig. Same old problem I've had before and I've read about other places, them durned 'ol shims slipping into the threads.

I see some magnetic ones with a 3/4 bore are they worth the money spent?

Question about shim placement also. Does it matter where I put the shims in the stack? Next to arbor flange vs further out in the stack?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Jerry,
    If you meant truly next to the arbor flange, just leave them out. They will not have any affect on your width of cut. If you are adding shims to increase the width of cut, scatter them out between the chippers rather than all in one place. A tiny spot or two of petroleum jelly on one side of the shim will hold it in place while getting your stack arranged and tightened down but won't hurt your blades, or make them slip. notice I said "TINY SPOTS"

I have both types of shims - - and almost never go to the plastic sheet style any more - the mag ones are great.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Jerry,
    I have a magnetic set and never looked back once I started using them. You just slap them on and go. They don't get stuck in the threads, they don't fall into the dust, etc, etc. After about five years I did have to re-label them with a metallic-ink pen (don't tell my wife, it came out of her art supplies) because the thickness printed on by the manufacturer was getting hard to read.

I don't know how much they cost now, but I don't recall them being expensive 20 yrs ago...

My forrest set came with mag shims. I can't imagine any other kind.

Hi Jerry, I stagger the shims throughout the stack.

I don't have an issue with them falling into the threads as my saw doesn't have a threaded arbour...........Rod.

Well then I guess magnetic it shall be.

Thanks for the in put.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Funny, I just went through the same hassle yesterday. I was dadoing some 1/2" Baltic Birch and trying to find the correct shim thickness to fit the undersized plywood. Well, it's below zero in Wisconsin, I have some arthritis and my fingers are a bit swollen and cracked because of the cold dry weather and those stupid shims kept getting caught inside the threads. Man, what. Royal PIA. I literally feel you pain Jerry. I'm glad I saw your post. I'm ordering some as well.

john

Quote Originally Posted by John Adank View Post
    Funny, I just went through the same hassle yesterday. I was dadoing some 1/2" Baltic Birch and trying to find the correct shim thickness to fit the undersized plywood. Well, it's below zero in Wisconsin, I have some arthritis and my fingers are a bit swollen and cracked because of the cold dry weather and those stupid shims kept getting caught inside the threads. Man, what. Royal PIA. I literally feel you pain Jerry. I'm glad I saw your post. I'm ordering some as well.

john
    Best place to purchase?

I just ordered mine from Highland Wood Working. They were $12.99 plus $5.99 shipping.

I just ordered mine from Highland Wood Working. They were $12.99 plus $5.99 shipping.
    I just asked a question to Highland about the shims. I got a response saying I may prefer these: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/v...dadoshims.aspx

Any comments? I still see them falling in to the threads.

I saw those as well. They do give you a couple more shims which may be a good thing. I'm not sure what or how many shims are needed for undersized plywood. I would kind of agree with them possibly getting caught in the threads. If you use a tweezers to put them on the do you need one to remove them? It might be kind of tedious. Hopefully someone can chime in if they have these exact shims.

The other thing that just occurred to me is that even my dado blades are kind of a pain to get off the arbor. I have the Infinity Dadonator blades and they can kind of get caught up on the threads as well. If I had 4 or 5 dado blades on my arbor, it would be kind of difficult to separate them far enough to insert the shims. I would hate to drop the shims inside the cabinet and have them fall down my dust collection hose on my SawStop. I dropped my arbor nut down there about half a dozen times the other day while removing and installing my dado blades the other day. I had to disconnect the hose and use a telescoping magnet to get it. Like I said before, winter in Wisconsin, arthritis and swollen fingers make it kind of frustrating for finger dexterity.

I just use a little bit of transparent tape to hold the shims in place on the chipper blades and out of the threads. It works great

Like I said before, winter in Wisconsin, arthritis and swollen fingers make it kind of frustrating for finger dexterity.
    Ahhh, yes, I remember Wisconsin fondly. As much as I love the state and the people, I have learned that people are really nice where it is warm too. I had to open the windows in my shop today cause it got up to 77 degrees.