Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price of a first time lathe

Price of a first time lathe

I turned a couple of bowls on my friends Powermatic lathe. It was a monster of a thing. Now I've got the bug! : ) What should I look for in a lathe to start out on? I'm not really interested in spindles or anything like that. If I put $500 towards a used machine could I get something that would be good? Any ideas on models/brands/etc.?

Thanks

Nova Comet II?

I have this lathe, http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch...ead-34706.html it is not the greatest out there but is perfect for a beginner, I would like a more powerful one but any upgrade that would be worthwhile is 1000+ it works for pens, to 11-12 inch bowls, when you get above 10 inches on mine you need to take a pretty light cut. as a beginner you also need to buy tools that will set you back probably more then the lathe, if you are doing bowls a chuck is a big help, I think mine was around 100$ and i have a basic benjamins best bowl turning tool kit that was something like 80$ and the better harbor freight set of lathe tools (red handle I think around 40$) and that is enough to get going, with higher end tools getting pricey fast.

A used Shopsmith can be had with turning tools in that range.

Is a shopsmith worth it?

Remember to factor in tools in addition to the lathe itself. In terms of just lathes, you could probably find a used Delta 46-460 plus accessories for that range. It's a really nice lathe, possibly the last one you'd ever need unless you wanted to get into the big stuff. However, some issues with Delta and parts availability to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schatz View Post
    Is a shopsmith worth it?
    In terms of a high quality way to rotate with speed control, IHMO yes. Lousy tablesaw though, and changeovers are time consuming.

The good news is you can always resell it if you find it doesn't work for you.

This site has a very active turners forum. We'll help you spend all kinds of money.
    I'd avoid the Delta, due to the parts problems. It's a good lathe, I've turned on it. Actually, it's an outstanding lathe, until the power switch fails and you can't get another one. I'd invest in the Jet mini or midi, they are great too. I have Jet minis, and a 16".
    I have a Shopsmith too, if you can get one for cheap, it's a pretty good lathe, for spindles.

Does anyone have any ideas about the Nova Comet II? It seems like the same as the Delta 46-460 but with the Nova name and a bit cheaper. Same swing. I'm mostly doing bowls, not really worried about spindles.

10. I would avoid the Harbor Freight lathe if you want to turn bowls and such. The lowest rpm is about 600 which is way too fast for roughing out shapes, but it can be done if you are meticulous about getting a turning blank balanced. A Nova 1644 is in the $800 range on sale, and is a pretty good starter lathe.........if you stick with turning, you will eventually want a bigger one.

As far as a midi lathe goes.......the Jet 1221 vs is about the best on the market at this time, and has most of the features that are desirable on a lathe.......VFD, reversing, etc. you can turn a 12" bowl on it if you take light cuts and take your time.

As you mentioned.......a good used lathe might be found.........look up some local or at least nearest AAW affiliate clubs, and put the word out you are looking for a good used lathe.........see what you come up with!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 02-27-2015 at 2:55 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger,
    Just a point of correction...the 1221 uses a DC motor and has EVS (but no VFD) just like most of the EVS midi lathes out there.

Eric,
    The Rikon 70-220VSR is similar to the Jet in swing and hp though not as heavy and not quite as well made (at least not from the few units of each that I've seen). It goes on sale every once in a while for about $500-550. But then you'll want a chuck and tools and... as others have mentioned so you better have at least $800-900 in your budget if you go this route.

Good luck and welcome!

I'd agree with Roger in that for your stated budget number of 500, the Jet 1221 is worth a serious look. Right now a bunch of vendors are have Jet/PM sale of 15% off going on. I think the 1221 is going for $680.00. I'm as big a fan of Shopsmith as anyone here but unless you know what your looking for, you can get burned easily. 500 dollar SS's are generally older Mark 5's with a single quill bearing and missing about half of the necessary lathe centers etc. etc. If you know SS's and know what your looking for it can be done but be careful.

If your going to jump in ,jump in with both feet . your just putting it off for now, you will be hooked and it 200 here 125 there next thing you know your in it 5000 to 10000 .Go big Or go home that's what they say. some day I'm got to set down and figure it up .Or I can ask my wife I,m sure she been keeping track .

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I would avoid the Harbor Freight lathe if you want to turn bowls and such. The lowest rpm is about 600 which is way too fast for roughing out shapes, but it can be done if you are meticulous about getting a turning blank balanced.
    I agree 100%. For spindle turning, the fixed speed lathes are fine, but for forms 600 is too fast. Add to this the fact that most new turners probably do not own a bandsaw (or a large enough bandsaw) so they will lack the tools needed to create a very balanced blank. If the new turner can afford it and is interested in faceplate turning, it is definitely worth it to invest in something with VS right from the start. Of course, the truth about the lathe being the cheap part of the hobby needs to be passed along as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schatz View Post
    Does anyone have any ideas about the Nova Comet II? It seems like the same as the Delta 46-460 but with the Nova name and a bit cheaper. Same swing. I'm mostly doing bowls, not really worried about spindles.
    Slightly less swing and a smaller motor (3/4hp vs. the Delta and Jet 12-21's 1hp). OTOH, you can get it from Rockler right now with a free Nova G3 chuck for well less than either the Jet or the Delta.