Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price of a first time lathe

Try to pick up a used lathe from CL in the $200-300 range, but stay away from the round tube style lathes and the welded angle iron lathes from HF. You want something with a cast iron bed. You should be able to sell it for what you paid if you change your mind or decide to upgrade later. It may take a while before a good one comes up on CL. I see at least 10-20 cheap pieces of junk on CL for every decent lathe. Or at least is seems like it, since the good lathes sell quick and the junk ones get re-listed forever.

It may come with a few turning tools, but they are probably a cheap HF set and not worth much. They may be good enough to get you started. You will need some method of sharpening them.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schatz View Post
    Does anyone have any ideas about the Nova Comet II? It seems like the same as the Delta 46-460 but with the Nova name and a bit cheaper. Same swing. I'm mostly doing bowls, not really worried about spindles.
    I posted a review after buying a Nova Comet II: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ong&highlight= I do use mine pretty often along with my Powermatic 3520B and it does a "good" job for certain applications. Wood Magazine did a review recently on the little lathes and the new Rikon 70-220VSR came out their selection. Looking at the specs, I do feel that the Rikon would bear a hard look since it has more tailstock travel, a little more weight, and what appears to be a better pulley size/belt design than the Comet. The low end of the Comet has limited power for bowl turning using the slowest speed range.

I purchased a Comet2 for my daughter over a year ago and she has mentioned no problems.
    Tools Plus has it for $480 with free G3 chuck and free shipping; given the chuck would run about $135, if separate, that makes the lathe about $350.
    http://www.tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-46300c.html
    On the other hand the Rikon mentioned looks very nice. It is 1 HP vs the Comet 3/4, is heavier, and has a longer bed for drilling. If not for the free chuck I would probably spend the $75-100 more for the Rikon.
    The Jet mentioned should be nice also but the spec I saw stated 6 amp compared to the Rikon 8 amp. They may both be the same or one may be stating max HP and the other continuous HP.

Oh, it is mainly used for spindle type or small items such as tea lights ect. (most under 6" diameter). I don't think there is a real problem until you get to 9 inches or over. Then it will be light cuts and just take your time on the slow speed.
    Last edited by Michael Mills; 02-27-2015 at 11:14 PM.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I know you commented that you are "not really interested in spindles or anything like that," but let me pose this thought for you. Somewhere down the road, you probably will develop an interest in some form of spindle turning, be it a finial/pedestal/candlestick/peppermill, etc. IMO, learning to turn first by spindle turning is analogous to learning to drive on a stick shift. If you don't start on a stick, going back later and learning isn't so easy. Best to learn that from the start, because someday you may want or have to drive a stick shift and not have the luxury of learning. I would encourage you to start with spindle turning and develop your skills from there. It will help you in the long run and many of the skills of spindle turning are transferable to bowl turning - tool control being one.

Mr. Keeton nailed it. I have heard a lot of professionals say the same and that what they learned in terms of tool control and so forth paid off big when it came to platters and bowls.

In my club there are at least a dozen Delta 46-460s that were purchased when they first came out. There has not been one single problem with any of them. I have not seen many folks who start woodturning and purchase a mini or a midi stop there. Most often they go bigger. My minimum starting lathe would be the Nova 1624-44 even though it has manual belt changes for speed and the ultimate starting lathe would be the Jet 1642 which is variable speed. People don't listen when told how addictive woodturning is and it sucks you in like a vortex. Remember you cannot go bigger in size work with a mini or midi but with a 16" lathe you can go smaller and there really is not much of a market for bowls bigger than 16".

I'm always on the far end of the curve. I started on a Jet 1220 and upgraded to a Jet 1642 and am about to buy a 1220 - but from OneWay. The difference between the original Jet and OneWay is like comparing a Ford to a Rolls Royce IMHO. (The new Jet 1221 might be a Lincoln in that comparison.) The reason for the new purchase is not size and power but stability and speed for turning miniatures. BTW, I'm keeping the 1642 and could see a mustard monster or even a Robust in its place in a few years.

Here's my take - buy the best you can afford. If you can find a real steal on Craig's List or eBay then fine, otherwise the Jet warrantee is hard to beat and the new models are a considerable improvement and are on sale right now. The better quality, the better chance of re-sale if you do not like the hobby, or just find it too expensive. Also the better chance of turning a presentable project. Also the longer before you out-grow the machine and feel the need to upgrade.

As to gouges, the ability to take and hold an edge (new turners take awhile to learn to re-sharpen often enough, at least I did and so did most everyone I ever talked to about it) and tool balance, etc all take a part in learning tool control.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

For a first time lathe, I got a Shopsmith in 1980. I still have and use it. It was a starter machine for me. I have since added some pro lathes.

Ok. You guys have some GREAT advise! What do you think about this lathe? Craigslist Find

make sure it runs, if possible take cover off and see what kind of shape the reeves drive expanders are in, if you can start it up see if you can change speeds, only change speeds while lathe running.......it will be an adventure but not much rust .......for name brand tools you could that much just in the tools.....see if there are any faceplates lying around or even a chuck....but for $350.......it probably has at least a starting rpm of 500 rpm.....if you can round up your blanks is possible to turn on....that's the biggest negative

Eric, just keep in mind the Harbor Freight lathe (model 34706) is a clone of this lathe, so they are the same. Parts will even interchange. You can probably get the HF - new with some warranty, with a coupon, for around $235, so make sure you are getting enough tools to make it worthwhile. It isn't a really strong lathe to begin with and 10 years of use could be quite a bit depending on the abuse level.

Hi Eric,

That lathe is probably OK as a starter, but not great. The included tools look like they have a small amount of value. For some reason they appear to have been ground down a lot. It looks like the original user has been using them for a while. The chuck costs around $100 new.

Take a look at it and see if you feel that the extras are worth it to you. See if he has other stuff to throw in.

Steve

I'm probably a craigslist junkie... I've bought at least 3 Jet mini lathes from Craigslist over the last several years. I just purchased a Delta 46-460 w/factory stand today on Craigslist. I thought $400 was a fair price. Lathe looked like it had never been used...
    Billy