Thread: Lead nut off lead screw on Grizzly GO453z planer table

Lead nut off lead screw on Grizzly GO453z planer table

I bought this planer new, and have had it for about eight months. The table always had some play to it while unlocked, and I thought that was meant to be. I now just discovered that this whole time only 3 out of the 4 lead screws supporting my table are connected. The lead screw on the back left of the machine wiggles when I push on it, and that's the corner of the table that moves, so the nut is obviously not connected. I've used this planer many times and haven't had much issues with use other than snipe, but I can't make adjustments because the table is impossible to get parallel with the cutterhead due to the movememt, it's about 5/100" off.

Im going to call Grizzly technical support, but they're only available Monday through Friday. Does anyone know how to fix this?

image.jpg

Heres where the issue is

I have a g0453 as well but am not really sure what the second picture is trying to show. I can help since mines working, can you better explain the second picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Scofield View Post
    I have a g0453 as well but am not really sure what the second picture is trying to show. I can help since mines working, can you better explain the second picture?
    Thats the corner of the table where the lead nut is off the lead screw. You can't really see it, so the pictures pretty much just for reference

I called Grizzly and the technician told me that I need either a new lead screw or a lead nut. I tried to explain this to the guy five times, but there is nothing that appears wrong with either one, and I don't see how there can be manufacturing flaw on one. I feel like they are somehow got together wrong, but the guy said that isn't possible.

Based on my experience (yours could be different) it sounds like you have a chain that wraps all four lead screws, one of which isn't set to same height as others.. Find master link in chain, and remove it. Take chain off the screw that is lower, and by hand turn screw so nut is snugged up against bed. Put chain back on and close with master link. You chain sprockets may be held with set screws, which means you wouldn't have to remove chain. Loosen set screw in subject screw and again snug up by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Based on my experience (yours could be different) it sounds like you have a chain that wraps all four lead screws, one of which isn't set to same height as others.. Find master link in chain, and remove it. Take chain off the screw that is lower, and by hand turn screw so nut is snugged up against bed. Put chain back on and close with master link. You chain sprockets may be held with set screws, which means you wouldn't have to remove chain. Loosen set screw in subject screw and again snug up by hand.
    In your situation, did you have a lead screw with some wiggle, causing some "play" in the table? I'll definetely try that first, because I would have to take a lot of things apart to replace the lead screw

Bruce's advice sounds spot on. Look on page 30 in the manual. It shows a view of the chain on all 4 sprockets plus the tensioner sprocket. Back the tension off and that should give you enough slack to slip the chain off the screw that is not in sync with the other three. Turn it in whichever direction necessary to get it correct and slide the chain back on and test after retensioning. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I took the chain off, and moved that one corner, and it made the lead screw rock solid. When I reattatched the chain, the lead screw became loose again. I haven't had a chance to really play with it too much, but at least my problem is identified. I think I moved it again reattaching the chain, and I never measured the adjustment