Thread: Sandpaper for drum sander

Sandpaper for drum sander

For those of you with a drum sander, what grit do you primarily use on the sander? Some people have indicated that they mostly use coarse sandpaper, but is that 80 grit, 100 grit, or ???

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

80 grit for a long time,I tried 100G,it worked just as well as 80 grit .I always have to use my ROS to get rid of the lines .

Mike,
    I built a V-Drum sander, based on the Stockroom Supply design. I made it for sanding End Grain cutting boards. I started with 100 grit, and 320 grit. Since then I have gone down to 80 grit. I do not want to go down any coarser, too many scratches. It really works well on face grain also. There is no feed on this sander design. What I have found is that the faster you go the less scratches, using the 80 grit. I hope this helps.

Ellery Becnel

if it's a dual drum 80/120 is a good combination. For single I think 80 or 100 is good. I can't emphasis enough that you need to take very very light passes or you'll burn your sand paper (and piece too); I sometimes forget this myself. Also if your sand paper gets dull you get burning marks (time to change it).

And good dust collection, and an eraser to periodically remove any buildup before it fills and bakes itself hard.

Mike.
    I have a dual drum sander set up with 80/120. When I had a Performax 16/32 It was pretty much set up with either 100 or 150. I switched between the two grits for sanding projects.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I use 120 about 80% and 80 the remaining. I have 100, 150, 180, and 220 and on rare occasion use those. 120 seems to work best and only requires light sanding with the ROS.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Same as Will; 120 grit almost all the time and never anything finer. At 80 grit the score lines are difficult to get rid of afterwards, even when changing to 100 and then 120 grit for subsequent passes. And I like Klingspore paper strips the best of any I've tried. They seem to last longer and definitely resist loading better than others.

John

I have a dual drum and use the same 80/120 combination others have mentioned.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Mike, I use 80 grit Abranet.....everything that was reported about the Abranet is true! It works great! I use it on a 16/32 performax.

I use 120 grit on my Woodmaster 2675. I then drop down to 80 grit on a ROS to get the sanding lines out and work my way up through the girts. I purchased my sandpaper from Woodmaster as I got the machine used and have never owned a drum sander before so I wanted to make sure I got some paper that was true to the machine. I have a roll of 80 grit but have not tried it yet.

I have herd the Abranet paper is excellent and once this roll is used up I will try this brand to see if there is a difference.

Bill

Blog Entries
    60 and 80 grit for dimensioning. 100 through 400 for other tasks. If I had to pick the "most used" grits it would be 80 and 120. Without going finer you will have a fair amount of sanding yet to go which is why I also have 150, 180, 220, etc.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler