Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: needs some ideas for an anti-tailgating device

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    I don't know how to create an odour,
    You must not have kids.

Maybe you should spend the money on a doctor to see why it bothers you so much Only kidding. I tend to try and get them to go around too, even if that means me pulling over. If they won't go around, I'll just adjust the mirrors so I can't see them, and I carry on with my own pace. The only ones I really don't like are pickups with bright lights at night, that get right on your bumper.

I think in general, people stopped caring about others on the road a decade or more ago. You used to be in it together on the road, now the "it's all about me" tone rules the road. How many of us have seen a car in the left lane, slam on the breaks, cross two lanes to the right, and then turn into a store? What used to happen when sane people drove, was they'd say "Shoot, I needed to be in the right lane, I missed it" and they'd go up to the next place to turn around and they'd take another pass at it. I don't think that happens too much these days. I wouldn't dream of crossing 3 lanes of traffic to correct a missed turn.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I think in general, people stopped caring about others on the road a decade or more ago. You used to be in it together on the road, now the "it's all about me" tone rules the road. How many of us have seen a car in the left lane, slam on the breaks, cross two lanes to the right, and then turn into a store? What used to happen when sane people drove, was they'd say "Shoot, I needed to be in the right lane, I missed it" and they'd go up to the next place to turn around and they'd take another pass at it. I don't think that happens too much these days. I wouldn't dream of crossing 3 lanes of traffic to correct a missed turn.
    I love the drivers who force their way from the right lane two lanes over to the left lane, pass two cars, and then immediately force their way back to the right lane to exit the freeway. They don't save any time and just endangered a whole slew of other drivers in the process. They'll do this in the course of less than 1/2 mile of freeway.

I was outside of New York City a while back, technically in New Jersey, I suppose, and the GPS told me I need to get in the right lane for an exit. I knew it for about a mile or more. I was in the left lane. I put my signal on and that immediately made anyone in the middle lane speed up and close the gap. My next move was to start slowing down a little and letting them pass so I could get over. Signal was still on. Nope. All that did was make the people behind me change lanes to get around me, thus closing the gap again. I finally figured it out. I turned off my signal, found about a 2 car length gap and I just swerved over into the gap, then did it once again to get into that lane.

Any driver with a shred of a brain would have just let me over when I put my signal on, especially when there WAS enough room for me to make the change, until they sped up to close the gap. I'm convinced a lot of these people have some serious issues at home and like to play "big man" when they get in the car because they have no say so in things when they walk in their homes.

We even coined the phrase "Pulling a New Jersey", now, when traveling in congested areas where the morons are in high numbers, I just pull a New Jersey on them and let them deal with it. They don't respond to people being nice, so I treat them how they deserve to be treated.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

If it is a 2-lane rd, and the guy is staying on me:
    > If there is a clear passing spot ahead, I put on my right turn signal ,, slow down, edge over - he'll always take advantage
    > If there is no clear place, I will make tht first available turn-out and let him go.
    > The guy had better be pretty damn serious if he is going to pull that stuff. I lock the cruise on +8, because my experience and what I have been given to understand is that tickets start getting written at +10 or +11.
    > I can't remember how many times I have executed this maneuver, only to come across the guy, pull over by the LEO.
    > As long as I can go my speed - I'll just let him by. In the big picture - who cares

On 4+ lane road
    > If I am in the RH lane at my chosen speed, and he pulls this crap, I'll tap the brakes then shift to neutral and back him off.
    > IF I am in the LH lane, I'll move over first opportunity. He had better be serious, because if he doesn't make his move before I get pinched, I'm moving back and screw him - he had a shot, and he is just a lousy driver.
    > If you are in the LH lane - my version of the world is this: YOu get to pick your speed, but you don't get to impose it on anyone else. If some lunatic wants past at +15 - give him room. YOu ain't the cops - and he gets to choose by how much he breaks the law, as do you. It might be me behind you @ +5 - you ain't leasing the LH lanes - get the heck over, dummy.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I used to carry a round rock about fist sized. When someone tailgated, I'd hold it on the roof of the car with one finger.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    Don't think it's possible to stop tailgating but I can think of a way to make it unpleasant for them... but I need some suggestions on what are some fairly low burning temp chemicals that put off a real bad smell when they burn, preferably with a bit of smoke for effect... any suggestions? Or some ready made gases that have a bad smell in small quantities. Obviously they need to be nontoxic but repulsive
    Just get out of my way! Slower drivers should always pull over to the slow lane (talking about the freeway of course). Makes no difference if you are going the speed limit or even over it, just get out of the way.
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 03-01-2015 at 4:50 PM.

I've seen ,in bumper to bumper going to the beach traffic ,wackos who blink their lights as if they thought everyone was
    going to pull off the road and let them speed by.

I have a motorhome with large trailer that I take on long freeway trips. The cruise is always set at 65 MPH no matter what the speed limit is. The speed limit is usually 75 MPH, but sometimes up to 80 MPH. There is rarely any other traffic on the road so other drivers have no reason to tailgate and can easily pass in the left lane. I never drive in the left lane unless passing or for a left exit. (Very rare to pass any vehicle.)

If someone does tailgate me my speed will never change. They can flash their lights all day long for all I care. It is their choice not to pass in the left lane.

My brother knows a guy that mounted aircraft landing lights on the front of his car for people that refuse to turn off the brights. Maybe a pair of those on the back of your car would do the trick.

I hate it when people do that.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I have a motorhome with large trailer that I take on long freeway trips. The cruise is always set at 65 MPH no matter what the speed limit is. The speed limit is usually 75 MPH, but sometimes up to 80 MPH. There is rarely any other traffic on the road so other drivers have no reason to tailgate and can easily pass in the left lane. I never drive in the left lane unless passing or for a left exit. (Very rare to pass any vehicle.)

If someone does tailgate me my speed will never change. They can flash their lights all day long for all I care. It is their choice not to pass in the left lane.
    They are tailgating to catch your draft and save gas Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    They are tailgating to catch your draft and save gas Brian.
    Someone tailgating when they could pass has only happened once or twice in 35,000+ miles of freeway driving with my motorhome. It isn't as bothersome to me as with a car as you don't see them like you do in a car.

Back in the days I rode motorcycles I kept a few small gravel in my coat pocket, just drop them on the pavement.
    Pennies work too...

Back when I smoked, I'd just toss a lit cigarette out the window and it would "explode" in a shower of sparks on the tailgater's windshield.
    They always responded to that by hitting their brights and pulling closer.
    That;s when I'd nail em with a lifesaver or some other hard candy .
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I hate tailgaters too. However, some of the things mentioned here border on being illegal and dangerous. There are too many dangerous people out there who are prone too serious road rage.

What happens if you cause a serious accident and someone else gets hurt because of your little trick?

Also, dash cameras are becoming more common. If you cause an accident with one of the tricks mentioned here, you could be in serious trouble.

Life is too short to get so upset and endanger your life and others. Just pull over and let the nuts go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Pennies work too...

Back when I smoked, I'd just toss a lit cigarette out the window and it would "explode" in a shower of sparks on the tailgater's windshield.
    They always responded to that by hitting their brights and pulling closer.
    That;s when I'd nail em with a lifesaver or some other hard candy .
    Thats just asking for trouble. I think you should re-think your methods and not try to create an incident.