Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cushiony shoes, knee pain, weight

efor should read treat

Well I am a "big boy" too, I have a very bad back and have struggled with good shoes. I am not sure if it will help you but this is what I have done.

First very soft sole shoes wear extremely fast. Not worth $60 every 3 months for a new pair.
    Second I upgraded some time ago to a pair of Dasko shoes, spent $130 and they have been very durable, they are brown and proffesional work grade and shop worthy
    Third, bought a pair of Ecco light way black shoes, they are ok and durable but they wind up hurting my back and have been retired.
    Fourth, I just bought a pair of "Sears Craftsman" black proffesional work grade shoes and they are very comfortable and they are black and shop worthy. I would HIGHLY recommend them
    Fifth, get a good pair of inner sole, your PT may carry them and have them molded to your feet, money well spent.

All New shoes sold regardless of the brand have crap for inner soles. I ALWAYS pull them out and throw them away.

Hang in there, I weight about 275 and I can say outstanding for losing weight!!!! I am not there yet....my SWMBO has lost over 40lbs so its possible!!!

Feel free to PM me!!!!

Lots of great advice so far.

A couple of months ago I got some Merrell hiking books. I find hiking shoes and boots often provide a lot more long-term comfort compared to most shoes I've worn. These Merrell boots are some of the most comfortable footwear I've ever had.

Let us know about the spring shoes you're going to try!
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 03-01-2015 at 6:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by William Payer View Post
    Congratulations on your weight loss, it is a battle to change those old habits.

As others have said high quality shoes are a must. Also changing them out(replacing) at regular intervals is good practice. Runners get new shoes at regular intervals as the cushioning does lessen with time, often so slowly you do not realize you are losing the cushioning level that you had when they were new.

Custom orthotics help to keep your foot/leg in proper alignment and help correct any misalignment issues. Don't go for the "one size (or a few sizes) fits all" type. See a podiatrist (or an othopedic surgeon specializing in foot and ankle) and get a prescription set of orthotics. The are a few types, some of a semi flexible plastic (perhaps composite construction) and there are the full shoe filling ones that provide support as well as additional cushioning. The later cost me $295 but they are custom molded to your feet and do ease discomfort in the entire leg. The cost of that Dr. visit and the orthotics is significant, but nothing compared to the costs of additional care of wearing of the knees.

My family physician saw me looking at the BMI chart in the exam room and asked me what it said about me(he get on my case for being overweight periodically) I told him ," it says I'm too short! "
    I see the ortho tomorrow and will ask him about it-
    would be great to claim on my HSA acct
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

The same principle can be used with exercise

Write a diary of what you are going to do over the next 3 days

Eg Walk to bus stop meet wife, the reward of meeting the wife encourages you to make the journey and helps get over any barriers eg pain, apathy about your current health

Evidence suggests people who do this are more sucessful in thier recovery programme
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 03-02-2015 at 12:17 PM.

Congrats on the weight loss David! I lost 65 pounds a few years ago as a result of a decision to change my lifestyle. It sure did. One of the fringe benefits of the loss was how much better my knees, ankles and hips felt. In my particular instance, the need for special shoes was eliminated.

I have always had good luck with comfort and support from Rockport shoes. Doc Martens are supposed to be another comfortable supportive brand.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

I had plantar fasciitis (SP?) for a while and wife bought me SAS (San Antonio Shoe) shoes. Problem gone for several years now. They make walking shoes and dress shoes, I wear the walking shoes all the time.

Made in USA, also.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

9. You might consider visiting a running store. I've had knee problems for a while, and had a great experience picking out shoes at a running store. They put me on a treadmill to analyze the way I walk, to determine if I was an under/over-pronator, which narrows down the shoe selection quite a bit. Then they put a different shoe on each foot and had me walk around outside. After I came back in, they left the shoe I was happier with on, and swapped out the other shoe. We kept doing this until I'd narrowed it down to the shoe that hurt my knee the least. It was pretty awesome, and made a huge difference for me.

Thumbs up Thanks everybody

Thanks to all.I will take all these ideas, do some research, then see the DPM, and see where I wind up.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

David, my wife has battled plantar fasciitis for years. It comes and goes and is debilitating when it happens. She recently got some custom orthotics and that made a huge improvement.

Good luck and I hope you make some progress with this.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep